Author Topic: Future fish for a tank  (Read 10192 times) 47 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Future fish
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 05:44:57 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
If you are still considering some small cory I will say that the panda cory I have in with my betta are cute and quite sassy.
I really like the kulhi loaches, they are an unusual shape and have a nice movement, though apparently keep themselves hidden a lot of the time. Saying that, fish never cease to amaze me by not always adhering to their typical behaviours and often being a bit more "up front" than expected.

I've enjoyed looking through lists of fish that aren't suitable for my water, makes me want more tanks though.  ;D

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »
Has anyone kept harlequins with cherry barbs, and how did they get on?
Almost certain that I've read a post from Richard, talking favourably of these two species together.

I think it's best to have a potential shortlist but not narrow this down to very definite decisions just yet - you could use the CC for 3 potential tank stocking options, but you might find when you go for a look around that one particular species leaps out (not literally! ;D) as being for you, in which case that may make the decision for you as to which other fish to opt for ie which of the potential tank stocking options "wins". As previously mentioned, I completely fell for the harlequin rasboras despite intending to go for ember tetras.

As an aside, I completely understand the rationale for opting for fish from the same part of the world. However, in my case, my South American and Asian fish seem to get on well together and are often dispersed around the tank with one species beside another - they seem to be faring better together and seem more comfortable with one another than the two South American fish species I had before (pygmy cories with x-ray tetras, although I think the problem in that instance was the size difference).

Offline Sue

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 08:46:59 PM »
I'm going to have to visit the shop and make notes. And ask them if they'd be prepared to sell me a tankful of fish at the same time.

My husband reminded me about Tropical House in Redcar - he mentioned going to Morrisons round the corner to buy some smoked fish. The problem is it's a small shop so would they have enough species to choose from? When I got the med from there a month or so ago, the chap said they quarantine their fish for 2 weeks before putting them on sale, and I've never had a sick fish from there in the past. I wish I'd looked at the fish now  :-\

Panda cories - are they as bad for dying off as pygmies and habrosus?

Kuhli loaches - according to the CC, they take up a lot of the stocking allowance. I've always fancied them, but the fact you can't have many other fish in the tank has put me off. A shoal of 8 would use a third of my stocking allowance.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 09:12:48 PM »
I've not had any problems with my panda cory, but I haven't had them for long.
Kuhli loaches are nice looking, but for the amount of stock allowance they take, and for quite a shy species that enjoys burrowing and hiding, I think your other options would make for a more visually stimulating tank.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 07:43:35 AM »
Khuli Loaches are notorious for hiding away and their owners only rarely seeing them.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 12:39:58 PM »
While we were out this morning I called in at shop we had to pass to buy ammonia and nitrite testers. This is not normally a shop where I buy fish, but while I was there I had a look to see what they had to give me some ideas. It proved to be very uninspirational.

There were two tanks of note, one above the other, but not for the species of fish. The lower one had electric blue rams and a couple of varieties of three spot gourami. The rams were covered in whitespot. The upper tank had tetras of some sort; a silvery grey with black spot near the tail, and a white species that was either very young silver dollars or discus tetras. There was no label on this tank. But the silver dollar/discus tetras were covered in whitespot. The gouramis and grey with black spots were all clear.
However, these fish were all on sale  :o No sign about being under treatment. Poor unsuspecting customers  :(

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2016, 07:31:32 PM »
We went to the garden centre with Maidenhead Aquatics this afternoon, and two more garden centres nearby so my husband could look at plants. Armed with my notebook, I went to look at fish while he looked at books and chocolates.

Grouped into Asian and south American fish, these are the ones I liked the looks of -

Harlequins
Purple harlequins
Copper harlequins (labelled as espei, last time they were labelled as hengeli)
Black ruby barbs
Odessa barbs
Peacock gobies
5 band barbs
Glowlight danios
Stiphodon elegans
Croaking gouramis (Trichopsis vitatta)
Cherry barbs

Neon tetras
Cardinal tetras
Buenos Aires tetras
Rummy nose tetras
Panda cories
Silver tip tetras
Black neon tetras
Albino black neon tetras
Golden pencilfish
Glowlight tetras

The problem was that very few species had even six in the tank - did they have a busy weekend?

There were also fish like serpae tetras and black widow tetras which I didn't fancy so I've not listed them.

I know I have a few weeks to decide but this could be a tricky job  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »
Hmmmmmmm. That could well be quite a big decision. Obviously my response would be to have an Asian tank and a South American tank, and even then it would still be a tough choice to narrow down each list.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2016, 09:11:38 PM »
Harlequins
Purple harlequins
Copper harlequins (labelled as espei, last time they were labelled as hengeli)

Sue, you have no idea how excited I am to learn from your post that there are other colours of Harlequins!!! I had no idea!!! I love my harlequins and want to boost my shoal numbers... In theory/nature do the different strains of the harlequin family get on together? I would love to know where locally I could get different coloured Harlies!!

My missus is going to roll her eyes when I tell her this, obviously  ::)

Offline Sue

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2016, 09:40:50 PM »
There are three related species - Trigonostigma heteromorpha aka harlequins; T. hengeli aka copper rasbora, hengel's rabora, porkchop rasbora; and T. espei aka espe's rasbora, lambchop rasbora. You find all three on Seriously Fish if you search for trigonostigma. Just to add more naming confusion, T. espei are in the fish profiles on here as slender harlequins.

There is also a colour morph of harlequin called purple harlequins. These have orange faces and the rest dark purple. These are the same species as harlequins so in theory should shoal with them. The other two are different species.

I was quite surprised to find they had fish they called copper rasbora, T. espei. Last time I asked them they looked at their list and said copper rasboras were T hengeli.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 09:45:06 PM »
Great stuff.. Since the slenders and copper harlies are quite similar to the Harlequins, purple ones would be my first choice... Now I just need to find them!

They have been a very welcome surprise for me, they are stunning fish and they school together a lot which is great to watch. Before anyone gets worried, they are happy, I'm not scaring them into schooling up...  8)

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2016, 07:10:11 AM »
I've had purple harlies, they're a very attractive fish and I'd get them again if I could find them.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2016, 07:24:31 AM »
Just in case either of you have an urge to purchase any fish I thought this might be useful

http://freshwateraquatics.co.uk/index.php/black-purple-harlequin-rasbora-trigonostigma-heteromorpha.html

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2016, 09:54:04 AM »
Great link Donna, cheers for that! I bet they look great in the flesh/fins... lol  :rotfl:

Offline Sue

Re: Future fish for a tank
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2016, 10:23:39 AM »
Those were the fish I saw, though they were so small it was hard to tell if they had a darker triangle like the fish in the link.

Thank you to whoever it was that changed the title - the new one is better.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »
Those were the fish I saw, though they were so small it was hard to tell if they had a darker triangle like the fish in the link.

Thank you to whoever it was that changed the title - the new one is better.

I can't take credit but have been performing more subtle tidying and spelling correction in recent days...

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2016, 02:53:05 PM »
this may sound crazy but zebra plecos would be a nice addition. i aim to keep them one day! :) :fishy1: :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2016, 03:08:54 PM »
The problem is the price. There's one on Ebay at the moment for £60  :o

I promised my husband I won't get anything expensive......

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »
Nice looking fish though.

The list of your possible fish was so difficult to choose from.

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2016, 07:07:33 PM »
Given there is a while to go yet before I can get any fish, the chances are I'll draw up a list and go to the shop only to find they haven't any. Or like my visit on Monday, only one or two of each species. I suppose that's the problem with Mondays, everyone else has been in buying fish over the weekend.

Current thinking is either harlequins/purple harlequins, glowlight danios and either peacock gudgeons or whatever stiphodons they have in; or golden pencilfish, an as yet undecided tetra and panda cories. And around 15 of each mid water shoaling species, 10 cories.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Future fish for a tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post November 25, 2012, 04:27:24 PM
by Don
0 Replies
Last post November 25, 2012, 09:35:04 PM
by maz1
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
4 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 07:41:40 PM
by Sue
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: