Friendly Fish

Author Topic: Friendly fish  (Read 5051 times) 13 replies

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
Friendly fish
« on: April 26, 2017, 03:53:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I'd gone away for a couple of days and after advice from this forum I decided they could go 2 nights without food, when I got back late I went to feed them but they were all asleep (I'd never seen them sleeping before!) so when I came to feed them they hadn't eaten for 3 days I dropped the flakes at the top then I've stared to place the pellets in the tank to make sure my cories are getting a chance! I had my hand in the tank and straight away two shrimp came on my hand then my tetras came to see what I had in my hand and my cories too! I'd like to think they missed me, but realisticly they were really hungry  ;D

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Friendly fish
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 04:04:34 PM »
It feels funny having shrimps crawling over your skin  :)

Good for you not putting food in when they were asleep.
Some fish change colour when they are asleep, it can be alarming the first time you see it. Did yours look any different?

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:13:03 PM »
I'd like to think they missed me, but realisticly they were really hungry  ;D

I've noticed with my fish, all types, that they recognise that I'm the feeder and will greet me even when it's not feeding time.  The peacock gudgeon will take turns to come to the front of the aquarium and flare at me.  Flaring isn't a show of anger with them it's more a type of communication.  The forktail blue eyes will follow my finger if I put it neat the glass and shoal with it.  The white cloud minnows will shoal when I approach (though I don't think they trust me. :) ).  And betta in general are interactive fish.

Fish definitely have personality although some have more than others.  I wonder what fish others on here have kept that have fun personalities?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 06:38:33 PM »
I've had shrimp run up my arm when cleaning the tank, and it is a very funny feeling.  :)
I'm looking forward to getting the betta back into a tank near the arm chair as when he was there before I swear he used to hang out at that end of the tank and face the direction of the tv when I was watching it in the evening. It was like he was watching with me. He also waves his fins when you tell him he's a handsome boy.
The dwarf puffers have a lot of personality, as do the silver hatchets, and the mudskippers.
Feeding time with my gang always makes me smile.
@fish-friends even if you think the fish were hungry rather than missing you, at least you were the one with the food that they fussed around.  ;D

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 07:17:04 PM »
I was surprised that the shrimp stayed there for a while it felt different to what I'd of thought almost feels like they were cleaning me!  :)
I was worried Sue when I got in around 10pm to a dark house i put the side light on and the cories were all sat on the bottom which was normal for them in the late evening but I'd never seen my flame tetras asleep before, they all looked like they were floating rather than swimming and had lost there bright red i was watching them for ages it took me a while to realise they were asleep!
I love how each species have there own cute personalities I think they missed me a little  :D
I love this forum if I tell other people I miss my fish when I'm away they look at me like I'm crazy!!  ;D

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 07:19:08 PM »
I'd love to see a fish wave it's fins! How cute!  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 07:38:02 PM »
I had my first betta when my elder son still lived at home. The betta did not like him and he swore he'd done nothing to upset the fish. When my son went out for the evening we would leave the kitchen light on so he didn't wake us up falling over things in the dark, and he told us that the betta would be waiting in the corner of the tank nearest the back door and flare at our son as he came in. We finally worked out what it was. Our son was going through a phase of wearing nothing but black and it was his clothes the betta didn't like. We proved it when I took some washing out of the ironing basket - I put a black shirt on and he put a flowery blouse on. The betta flared at me.

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 07:52:43 PM »
Wow that's amazing! I can't believe your Betta decided he didn't like black!
My little boy is 6 he always gives the tank a kiss in the morning and before bed I'm forever wiping his little kiss mark off the glass! Fish are much more intelligent than people give them credit for :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 08:26:25 PM »
So cute that your son kisses the tank.  ;D

Different fish species have different characteristics, and even fish of the same species can have quite individual personalities. I've not been keeping fish for very long, and I've enjoyed getting to know all of my fish (and amphibians). I talk to my gang when I'm feeding them, and especially when cleaning their tanks. There is very little you can admit to on this forum that others haven't admitted to previously.  ;D

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 08:42:49 PM »
That's what I love about this forum I've only had my tank since December and the forum helped save my fish from me knowing nothing about fish keeping  :-[  I didn't know about fishless cycling so unfortunately I lost two fish, but without the daily water changes that I was told to do I think they would all of gone!
My friends think I'm crazy talking to my fish I always talk to them at feeding time too and say goodnight as I go to bed  ;D 
I'm enjoying getting to learn so much about them  :fishy1:

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 10:46:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
My friends think I'm crazy talking to my fish I always talk to them at feeding time too and say goodnight
You're in good company on this forum, and, in my experience, fish thrive on the interaction. :)

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 12:05:28 PM »
As long as they don't start answering back you're alright. :D

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 07:52:16 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
As long as they don't start answering back you're alright. :D

That's why looking after fish is relaxing they can't answer back, unlike 6 year olds!

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 07:58:35 PM »
people have always talked to cats & dogs so why not fishies!!  :fishy1:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Friendly fish "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 09:19:40 AM
by jesnon
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 08:33:20 PM
by Robert
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
0 Replies
Last post January 14, 2016, 09:27:06 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: