RIP Flockhart

Author Topic: RIP Flockhart  (Read 4849 times) 17 replies

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
RIP Flockhart
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:25:42 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All,

Sadly, my lovely colisa, Flockhart, has succumbed to that awful Dwarf Gourami Disease. He exhibited all the classic symptoms and I had to resign myself to the fact that there was nothing I could do to help him and was probably going to have to do the decent thing....which I was dreading. However, I was saved this awful task, when he decided enough was enough, settled in to his favourite clump of weed and as Colin would say, turned up his little fishy toes, ( :(sniff :'() My tank seems so bare without his beautiful flash of blue weaving in and out.

I realise I can't have another dwarf because I will now have this disease in my tank, but has anyone got any other suggestions? I thought about honeys as I believe they are resistant to DGD, but of course, I have still got Rafe in my tank so I don't know if this means I can't add another showpiece fish of any sort. He seems very lost without Flockhart, they used to hang out together quite a lot, but I guess this was pretty unusual.

Oh well....all thoughts appreciated...

Resa

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: RIP Flockhart
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about Flockhart. Unfortunately, when they come down with DGIV there's nothing that can be done.

Rafe will regard the tank as his territory and see new fish as invaders. I agree about not getting a new gourami of any sort. You probably got away with Flockhart as neither had set up a territory when you got them. But as for another showpiece fish, I'm not sure. Of course most people would think of Rafe as the showpiece  ;)

Remind us again - how big is the tank and exactly what's in there - saves me having to go back through all your posts.....

Offline notungz

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Flockhart.  :(

Offline Resa

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 05:27:43 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for that. His symptoms were absolute textbook, and he went quite quickly, which I am glad about as I had read that it can take up to a year before they finally die of the virus.

Yes, you're absolutely right....Rafe is of course, a showpiece fish, how could I slight him like that? :-[ I think probably because it's still in my mind that he will have this tank when I (eventually) get my new one, that I was wondering what I could maybe get that he would rub along ok with.
My tank is all out of sorts with how it started and I was just thinking if there is anything I could add to it that might bring it back a little more balanced....I don't really know what I am thinking, I'm just really sad I've lost Flockhart, I guess. He was a cool guy :(

The tank is a 60L Marina with some gravel, some sand, loads of plants, (which I have just thinned out quite a bit), some rock structures and Rafe, 6 pepper cories, 4 panda cories, 2 otos, 2 male guppies, 1 coral platy and about a dozen or so blue marble platies (the majority of which are going to my LFS on Friday).
I definitely want to get 2 more pandas to bring my shoal to 6 and 4 more otos to bring their number up to 6 as well.
I wondered about maybe some more guppies as they sometimes square up to one another, probably because there are just the 2 of them now or some different platies....I probably haven't got room for that though, have I?
What do you think, Sue? My head hurts ???

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 05:29:12 PM »
Hi Notungz,

Thankyou for that....all very sad...and unexpected :(

Offline jesnon

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
So sorry Resa :-( he was a lovely looking fish

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 06:54:06 PM »
To be honest, you are at capacity now. If you check with the community creator you'll see what I mean. Pepper cories aren't in the fish profiles, so add 8 pandas as peppers get bigger than pandas. On the old site, cories were listed, all the bigger species as just corydoras as they grow about the same size, but they seem to have vanished when the new site appeared.

I would wait till you get the new tank before buying more fish. The pandas and Rafe will be OK in the 60 litre and maybe the otos too if the tank gorws enough algae for them. But I'd move the pepper cories and platies to a new tank. If Rafe is OK with guppies (some bettas aren't) maybe leave them in the 60 as well and get a couple more once you have the new tank.

Offline Gilkins

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 08:42:56 PM »
Evening Y'all

We are new to Thinkfish  ;D

Sorry to read about Flockhart. We have just purchased 2 x red flame gourami so will be on the look out for any symptoms. Fingers crossed Joey and Lola will be okay!

Offline Resa

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »
Evening Gilkins....and welcome to the madhouse :)

Yes, I really hope Joey and Lola will be fine too. It's a dreadful disease, it was really horrible seeing Flockhart's beautiful blue fade and ulcerate. They become quite lethargic and shy to begin with and stop eating, so watch out for that, I would say.

We are a very nosey lot on here and love to see your piccies...of your tank and fish, that is....not your holiday snaps ;D
You'll get really good advice on here if you should need it.....good luck!

Resa
  :)

Offline Resa

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 12:27:43 PM »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for your advice...I will heed it. Yes, I was very lucky with Flockhart and Rafe, they were so well behaved, even though it was Flockhart's territory as he had been in there for ages before Rafe joined him.
Any newbies reading this, please don't think you can keep a fighting fish (Rafe) with dwarf gouramis (Flockhart) or indeed with most other fish. I did it in an emergency and was very lucky that they decided to hang out together and behave like gentleman.

It's a shame there aren't more fish...and their different types in the fish profile, it does make it awkward to try and put a community together when you have to guess which fish to substitute for one that isn't listed. Perhaps our Leader will add to it in time ;)

My platies have decided to disagree with you about my tank being fully stocked, and have produced new offspring. I spotted them last night. One of them is a vivid orange so obviously my little male coral has been involved with this production ;D
Can I double check with you? I am having a thick day, (nothing new there) Did you mean not to get any more fish yet at all? Or did you mean I can still add the 2 pandas and 4 otos to bring their shoal numbers up to 6 of each, and then not have any more? I did have a look on the CC, but it only brought me up to about 74% stocked (after adding extra pandas and otos).

Thanks Sue :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 12:49:18 PM »
I looked on the CC as well, I entered 60 litres, 60cm and internal, though it now occurs to me you might have an external? I also entered all your cories together as 11 pandas - that's the 4 your have plus 7 for the larger 6 peppered cories. Though something is niggling at the back of my brain that your peppered cories are hastatus (salt & pepper) rather than paleatus (pepper cory). Which do you have as it does make a difference.

Offline Resa

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »
'Lo Sue,

I have a HOB filter and Paleatus Cories, I think they are probably bigger than Hastatus, aren't they?

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 04:40:22 PM »
Yes, quite a bit bigger, and bigger than pandas as well. Because they are not in the fish profiles (or at least I can't find them) I used pandas instead but increased the numbers to make up for the bigger size of the peppers.
I usually class HOBs as internals as they are not included in the CC. They don't have the same amount of media that externals do.

So for the CC I used:
60 litre tank
60cm long
internal filter
11 panda cories (for 4 pandas + 6 larger peppers) = 55%
2 otos - total now 65%
2 male guppies - total now 75%
Rafe - now 83%
1 platy - now 90%

But you did say you were taking almost all the platies to the shop, implying you were keeping some. Keeping 1 of those platies takes you to 96% and keeping 2 pushes you over 100%.

What did you enter differently in the CC?

Offline Gaynor

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
Sorry to hear about Flockhart Resa.  :'(

Offline Resa

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 04:46:02 PM »
Goodness only knows what I put in, Sue ??? I know I put in a Dwarf gourami to give what I hoped to be an equivalent sort of fish for Rafe, as it doesn't allow you to put in a Fighter. I obviously didn't add anywhere enough cories to allow for my crew....told you I was having a thick day ;)

Back to the drawing board!

Offline Resa

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »
Thank you for that, Gaynor...very sad :'(

Offline ColinB

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 09:38:21 AM »
*sigh* That's a real shame. :(

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 11:12:23 AM »
Yes...it is :( Thanks Colin.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: