Author Topic: Fishkeeping during a heatwave  (Read 8221 times) 45 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Fishkeeping during a heatwave
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2018, 05:53:41 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I've never mentioned to my fish that, at certain times of the year, the cucumbers I give them are grown from their own fishy waste products.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2018, 07:38:27 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
@Helen I know what you mean about the tomatoes. I used to work at a company that made ultrasonic level controls so I have been to more than a few water works and treatment plants. I think you are safe though, I was told that the plants never flower because they lack Potasium? (It was 30 years ago)
For the others, tomato seeds make it through the gut undamaged so the dry settling tanks have enormous tomato plants in them

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2018, 07:47:49 AM »
I have childhood memories of my dad bringing home tomotes the size of grapefruit. And he'd been at work, not the supermarket!  :yikes: (probably also about 30 years ago)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2018, 08:51:02 AM »
 :sick:

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2018, 09:39:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Now what shall we have for lunch? A nice salad perhaps?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 08:05:26 AM »
On the news this morning they have mentioned that the peak times for water usage are 7-9am, and 5-8pm.
I would guess that most people have more than enough to do getting themselves & their families up and out of the house in the morning, so water usage for tanks is unlikely to be high at those times.
For those of us who work from home, or are generally at home during the day, may want to consider performing tank maintenance at the off-peak times. I'm trying to do this, though it does mean storing the waste water until late evening/early next morning to use on the garden.
Having a clean car has never been a top priority for me, ditto for windows, etc. and my laundry is piling up (great excuse to be a tad lazy on that front). I may have to give the suggested showering method a bash as well.
I feel obliged to be as frugal as possible with water because Cambridgeshire is a very agricultural area, with a huge amount of veg being grown, and obviously the water usage in this weather for growing crops is just as large, and essential. This area also gets relatively little rain, and I never considered that as a down side when moving here.
As this weather has been forecast to continue for quite some time, I'll be having a serious look at my tanks over the next day or two. I'll be looking at increasing the water testing regime whilst reducing the water change quantity (just to be on the safe side), and getting some more plants into some of the tanks (especially floating plants).
Some of my tanks are substantially under-stocked, so I'm hoping they will do well with reduced volume water changes, although I do have a slight problem with the axolotls - one of them has cut his leg. On the up side ( ??? ) this means I'll be moving him to a quarantine tank, with the main tank working on reduced volume water changes. On the down side, this means almost completely emptying their large tank today so that I have a chance of catching him. I can use some of the tank water in the quarantine tank, and the rest on the garden, but I will have to use a few hundred litres of water today. Not ideal, but absolutely essential.

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 03:08:31 PM »
I have just finished a water change on my big tank so definitely off peak. The water went on the roots of the veggies which were by now in the shade of the house, and the plants on the north side of the back fence.

My water changes are being planned very carefully. Monday this week, Tuesday next week, Wednesday the week after then Thursday the week after that. The day after that I will have a cataract operation, and my husband has agreed to help me with water changes after that  :yikes: but they'll have to be at 10 day intervals so he only needs to help with 2 during the 4 weeks I won't be allowed to lift anything. The weather will probably be non-stop rain by then  ;D

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2018, 06:48:02 PM »
Fishtank isn't looking in great condition in this weather. Will be doing an extra water change tonight. After 8pm, so non peak time!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 07:01:51 PM »
We are responsible for the welfare of our fish. I think the best we can do for now is keep their environments in good condition, do water changes out of peak water usage times, and re-use any tank water in the garden where possible.
The forecast is for the heatwave to go on for a while, possibly a few weeks. I wouldn't mind a bit of rain in the evenings though.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2018, 08:08:59 PM »
Were supposed to have some thunderstorms in the South this evening. Should hopefully cool things down a bit temporarily.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2018, 08:26:44 PM »
@Helen Any idea what caused the sudden increase in pH, did the sun hit the tank and the plants go into overdrive? I see the temperature increased at the same time so it is unlikely to be a coincidence. I would guess the free ammonia spike was a result of the preportion in the total changed as a consequence of the pH increase rather than a increase in total ammonia.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 08:54:03 PM »
I have no idea what's going on with my tank! The tank is kind of tucked in a corner, so usually only gets winter sun, when it's low enough to reach right across the room.

Just in case, the curtains have been closwd all day but that doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 10:33:44 PM »
Strange that the pH spike was around midnight. You would have thought the pH would decrease overnight.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2018, 10:35:29 PM »
I take that back. The scales aren’t the same, sorry !!!

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 10:50:10 PM »
Looking at the Seneye output again. I take it that the bottom 2 graphs are both over the last 72 hours period.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2018, 06:51:57 AM »
Updated trace. I've made sure that the scales are all the same - 72 hrs. The ammonia spike is midday on monday. And it's clear where I did my cold water change. Think I might do the same again tonight. I only did 30l so it didn't take too long. I also unplugged my heater, just in case it was on the blink. I can at least rule it out. I've got a room thermometer that I think I'll put on top of the tank.

Offline daveyng

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2018, 11:09:33 PM »
Temperatures in the Aquarium and the Pond have been increasing over the last few days. Weather wise daytime temperatures have been hitting 29 C and remaining there for most of the day. Pond has “maxed out” at 26 C (drops to just under 24 C overnight).  The fan is on constantly and the water feature is running to increase aeration. Aquarium is hitting 27 C which drops about .5 of  a degree after a water change. Fish seem OK at the moment in both the pond and aquarium. Hopefully the cooler weather will be with us soon.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2018, 11:46:29 PM »
My tank is getting more smaller water changes with just cold tap water to manage the temperature. It has been creeping up, strangely overnight. I'd think my heater had gone mad if I'd not unplugged it. I've come to the conclusion that my lounge heats up during the day and because of the volume of water in the tank, it has a bit of a lag and therfore picks up the heat later. I guess, there's also not a lot of air movement in the lounge after we've gone to bed and closed everything up.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2018, 05:48:09 AM »
Forecast is the same for at least another week. I'm not sure that Britain is really used to these sorts of temperatures for prolonged periods. Struggling to sleep, but at least the temperature in the house is more reasonable with the windows & patio doors open from 5am.
The chillers are working hard on the axolotl tanks, and the other fish seem to be coping.
Garden leaves a lot to be desired at the moment though, even with using the tank water.

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2018, 09:28:56 AM »
I am enjoying sitting in a cold draught. It is cloudy and there's a breeze so I have opened all the windows and the back door. My eye drops have to be kept below 25 deg C; the coolest place in our house is between the front door and the internal door so that's where I leave them, together with a thermometer. But even there reached 23 deg last evening. It was 22 deg when I got up but after 15 mins with the air blowing through has dropped it by 3 deg already.
Hopefully the cooler room temps will help with the fish tanks.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fishkeeping during a heatwave"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:36:43 AM
by ColinB
7 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 07:45:32 PM
by Fiona
2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2015, 05:50:34 PM
by MikeAqua
10 Replies
Last post February 18, 2016, 10:53:12 AM
by Fiona
13 Replies
Last post July 21, 2017, 12:45:51 PM
by kdt1
3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2019, 04:45:12 PM
by fcmf
6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2023, 02:40:12 PM
by Nan

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: