Author Topic: Fish profiles Question  (Read 2940 times) 8 replies

Offline Ironside79

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Fish profiles Question
« on: May 21, 2017, 06:54:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
hi all

does the fish profiles give the length of fish as their body, or is the tail included on this website

also does the community creator take into account for substrate and plants rocks and stuff

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Japonica Shrimp (20) - Otocinclus (3) - Otocinclus (6) - Cardinal Tetra (15) - Emperor Tetra (8) - Honey Gourami (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Fish profiles Question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:46:19 PM »
I will be honest and say I don't know. The person who wrote the profiles and the programming for the Community Creator no longer owns the site, so I'm not sure how we can find out.

For fish length, I have looked at FishBase, which does usually say SL or TL, as well as the profiles on here and it is not obvious.
Stocking a fish tank is more of an art than a science; any stocking calculator by its very nature can't take every aspect into account so will only be approximate. I would be inclined not to bother whether the length is ST or TL as the tail does not add much to the size of the fish. And in those cases of long tailed variants, I would use the length of the standard fish.

With the volume, I have always assumed it is tank volume so I deduct some to allow for the decor etc and enter that volume in the CC.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 08:15:18 PM »
Hello there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

I tend to use quite a lot of decor & planting in some of my tanks, so I tend to measure the water when I'm putting it in and use that for the volume, so I use a volume that takes into account the substrate, etc. If in doubt, you can always use the total volume of your tank minus 10 - 15% to allow for the substrate, etc. or use the community creator as is, with total volume, and aim for a stock level of perhaps 80-85%.

I hope that helps.  :)

Offline TrenchyLs

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 08:28:52 PM »
Welcome.

I measured the amount I took out of the tank during the 100% water change when my tank cycled.  It's a 120 litre tank and I got 105 Litres out and estimate there was about 2 litres left in the substrate and another 3 in my external filter.

I also took the opportunity to discreetly mark 10 litre increments on the side of the tank as I was draining it which has made subsequent water changes and dosing of Prime much easier.

Offline Ironside79

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:10:54 PM »
thx for the advise you 3

brilliant littlefish - so I tend to measure the water when I'm putting it in and use that for the volume

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Japonica Shrimp (20) - Otocinclus (3) - Otocinclus (6) - Cardinal Tetra (15) - Emperor Tetra (8) - Honey Gourami (2) - Siamese Fighting Fish (female) (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 10:34:09 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
When I joined this forum I had a look through the fish profiles and I must say they leave a fair bit to be desired, and are incorrect in some cases. Some of the other general information was similar.

It's always best to ask on the forum before you take a plunge...

:)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 11:04:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 2
When I joined this forum I had a look through the fish profiles and I must say they leave a fair bit to be desired, and are incorrect in some cases.
Some of the information is out of date now. I am keen to see it updated, so made a start on updating some of the profiles last year during some holiday time, but unforeseen and unfortunate circumstances foiled my plan to resume it earlier this year when I had several weeks scheduled in to do it. However, I will be scheduling in several weeks' holiday to resume and complete it this later this year as soon as I am able to. :)
 :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 07:49:24 AM »
I don't fill my tanks with a hose because I don't have a hose or even a tap that I could fit one to - even the kitchen taps are not an ideal shape. I use 5L or 10L containers, because I can carry and lift them - yes it took a long time to fill the 1.5 meter tank for the axolotls, especially as I had to climb a small step ladder to do it. As well as taking substrate and decor into consideration, I also find measuring the water handy because sometimes I don't fill the tank to the maximum volume as I often use floating plants and will sometimes use a lower level of water so I can also see the floating plants, so the gap between water level and maximum volume is also taken into account. I do then mark the side of the tank in an inconspicuous place so I can check water levels when doing water changes.

There is a lot of information available on the internet, and it can sometimes cause more confusion because often it says different things - not wildly different, but just different enough to cause confusion to those of us who are not massively experienced. It certainly has for me.
It's worth doing some research, with SF and other sites regularly suggested here to check fish information, perhaps have a chat to the staff at your LFS, throw ideas open to the forum so that the more experienced keepers can add personal experienced and raise topics that may not have already been considered, then take it all into consideration before making a decision.
There is a lot of research material available, and a lot of information to consider, but if it leads to a tank of good water conditions and a tank of happy & healthy fish, then it's not wasted. And often some information from the experienced keepers here can lead to some handy hints that will save time in the long run.  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »
I rarely use the fish profiles on here for accurate up-to-date information. There are not many species in the list and they were written before 2006 - that's when I joined the previous version of the forum and they were there then. (I know when it was because I joined 2 forums at the same time and the other one gives the date in my profile)
My go-to sites for information on species are Seriously Fish and FishBase. Both are written by scientists and ichthyologists, and FishBase is primarily targetted at ichthyologists (which is why it doesn't have much on tank requirements but does have info on size, water requirements etc).

I use the Community Creator as a rough guide to stocking. It is impossible to create a program with every variable entered. And I don't go to 100% of what they CC says I can have as I think it is a bit on the generous side.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish profiles Question"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post September 29, 2012, 07:40:06 PM
by DARRELL
6 Replies
Last post December 17, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
by ColR1948
2 Replies
Last post October 10, 2014, 09:19:40 AM
by jesnon
14 Replies
Last post September 16, 2015, 01:07:32 PM
by Extreme_One
106 Replies
Last post June 13, 2016, 09:57:44 PM
by Paddyc
7 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 09:02:14 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post October 31, 2017, 09:28:47 AM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: