Fish Behaviour Generally & Tetras' Breeding Behaviour - "log"

Author Topic: Fish behaviour generally & tetras' breeding behaviour - "log"  (Read 7165 times) 15 replies

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Fish behaviour generally & tetras' breeding behaviour - "log"
« on: February 20, 2016, 10:18:14 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've been working at home in recent months, with the fishtank just beyond the top of the laptop and so in my peripheral vision. I've certainly been fascinated by the daily behaviour of the fish during this time and the harlies have definitely grown into adults, with stronger signs of establishing the hierarchy and moving their shoalmates from one location or another so that they can occupy it, and one or two signs of mating behaviour now starting too. Mornings in the tank tend to be very active, afternoons tend to be less so, and evenings tends to be relaxation time.

The tetras seem to engage in a 4-hour session almost every morning of intense chasing around the heater and up and down and across the back of the tank in/behind the plants, with 4 heads seemingly conjoined and trembling in a leaf. The two smallest males tend to have a battle, and S (the largest of the two females) then seems to have three of the four males relentlessly pursuing her throughout the morning. V (the slightly smaller of the two females) shoos the remaining male out of her way if he approaches while she continues doing her own thing. The relentless and extreme movement sometimes induces something akin to seasickness in me and feels a bit too voyeuristic which results in moving to work in the neighbouring room instead! I've never seen any eggs, either just released or attached to plants.

All seem very happy judging by their intense colours which is the main priority and seem to be much less timid of me nearer the tank now. Despite not enjoying water changes, their colouring seems to return very soon afterwards.  :)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Fish behaviour generally & tetras' breeding behaviour - "log"
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 10:55:27 AM »
Nice write-up. :cheers: It certainly sounds like the ladies are in charge of proceedings in your tank. ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 11:40:05 AM »
Thanks, Simon. The lady tetras certainly are in charge, and have been since the first week. Although less obvious, early signs are that it may be the other way round with the harlequins ie gentlemen in charge, and I'm almost certain that it's one of the male harlies who is starting to challenge the two lady tetras for territory.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 10:12:11 PM »
At Robert's request, I'm putting the forum "back on track" with a fish-themed update. :)

S, the largest of the two lady tetras, has become so large lately that she resembles a fantail goldfish in shape. Her tail is vivid red, and there are no signs of anything untoward, so I'm assuming that either she's full of eggs or her insurpassable skills in tank coverage to retrieve what seems to be at least 50% of the food are taking their toll on her "waistline". She's also not letting anyone near her other than V, the other, slightly-more-in-trim female tetra. Meanwhile, the smallest male seems to spend a lot of time with V and swimming under her tail. In the evenings, the tetras seem to enjoy admiring their own reflections in the glass near the adjacent table lamp.

Three harlequins (The 3 Musketeers) spend a lot of time competing with one another, possibly showing off in front of Wee Harley (who may be the only female harlequin) and unfortunately the two smaller harlequins Wee Harley and Little Harley get pushed up into the canopy regularly where they spend time resting in the leaves. However, they're doing well at "holding their own" and spending time in the main part of the tank as and when they please along with Bachelor Harley who is quite happy on his own or mixing with anyone. One/some/all of The 3 Musketeers (can't tell the difference between them but it always seems to be the one that locates himself nearest to me against the glass and seems to be forever watching me) is now successful in challenging and sending any of the tetras - females included - to any part of the tank of his choice by swimming up behind them and moving them from whatever spot they have claimed.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2016, 11:13:24 PM »
Tetra's Fun Tips produced some interesting behaviour in the tank this evening - brought out the nearest to what I could call "anger" and made the tank hierarchy abundantly clear. S was at the front of the queue and swished and swarmed around the stuck-on tablet to avoid anyone else getting a share and as though angry that anyone else might invade her space, followed immediately by Chief Harley (one of The 3 Musketeers), while Wee Harley and Little Harley waited patiently at the back of the queue for any remnants.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 09:17:44 PM »
These were the best pics of the selection I took this eve :-[ - if anything, it will give each of you the opportunity to say "at least my photography skills are better than that!"

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:29:54 PM »
I'm very impressed that you've managed to train your fish to stay still for photos.  ;D

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 02:34:07 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Looks good to me, I can see fish (all in focus) and tell what type the are. 

My photo attempts normally don't turn out so well - a coloured blur = a fish!  Photos of the cories are ok as long as I catch them when they are resting.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 12:39:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Got up to get my lunch and noticed one harlequin relentlessly chasing Wee Harley round the tank. I approached the tank, held my index finger up and spoke in a stern voice that there was to be no misbehaviour in the tank. The chasing harlequin turned swiftly in strange semi-circles, as though guilty and knowing he’d been misbehaving and wasn’t liking getting a ticking-off, much the same as a dog does when having broken something or eaten something it oughtn’t to have. Those unfamiliar with pets or fish, and maybe even those familiar with fish, may think this sounds crazy or that I'm "humanising" the situation but there’s no mistaking what I witnessed! If it occurs again, I will capture it on video.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 04:45:27 PM »
Well I for one would enjoy a video of a sulking harlequin  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 05:31:48 PM »
Yep, a video of that would be awesome.  8)

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
Hahahaha yeah I'd like to see that!. ;D

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 10:30:58 PM »
The harlequins seem to have had a noticeable growth spurt today - must be the warm weather! On all 6, their caudal peduncle area (bit between body and tail) is definitely longer. The 4 larger ones seem to be as large as, if not larger than, the x-ray tetras now. Still chuckling at the name of the "How big are your harlequins?" thread, and the ensuing comments, on here from last year. :rotfl:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 08:38:33 PM »
The tetras were back at their "antics" again this morning - crazily chasing around the tank like conjoined quadruplets. I couldn't take my work seriously with four bodies falling into a plant and heads trembling among the leaves in my peripheral vision, and so I had to move into the spare room to work there for the remainder of the day. A few signs of "activity" among the harlequins who must be reaching / have reached maturity by now - but not on a par with the tetras!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 09:09:03 PM »
The tetras sounds so cute.  :)

Offline fcmf

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2016, 09:27:04 PM »
I'm very fond of them all - they're cute in different ways. I love their eyes which are bright in both species. The tetras' blood-red tails and black/yellow dorsal fins are particularly attractive, while the females' foraging antics and males' playful spats are quite amusing. The harlequins' colouring/patterning is attractive, especially with the shimmer around the edge; their mischievous behaviour is quite endearing.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Fish behaviour generally & tetras' breeding behaviour - "log""

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:51:23 AM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 12:36:27 PM
by DutchyHolland
13 Replies
Last post January 08, 2016, 12:15:23 AM
by Barzers
4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2015, 11:03:44 PM
by fcmf
12 Replies
Last post March 26, 2016, 09:27:25 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 08:55:02 AM
by Robert
1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2021, 10:38:50 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: