First Visit To A Maidenhead Aquatics!

Author Topic: First visit to a Maidenhead Aquatics!  (Read 5584 times) 18 replies

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
First visit to a Maidenhead Aquatics!
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:08:31 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I visited my first Maidenhead Aquatics at the weekend (unfortunately I haven't got one particularly close by so had to wait for a convenient time to take a trip out). It was in the grounds of a pretty nice garden centre near Worksop called The Dukeries. Must say I was quite impressed with the setup and they had a very good variety of fish and seemed professional with customers. Unfortunately I was primarily on the lookout for shrimp and they were at bit short on shrimp stock at the time I called so I came away empty handed.

Following the MA visit, I then went even further afield to Wharf Aquatics (Pinxton, Notts) and was blown away by the selection of fish they had on offer! It was literally floor to ceiling tanks in something of a U shape. Unfortunately it was a bit busy so it was difficult to get a really good look at the fish on offer, but needless to say there were many which I'd never come across before and aren't in the fish profiles on here. If it's in travelling distance for anyone I'd recommend you take a gander.  :)

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
Re: First visit to a Maidenhead Aquatics!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 07:51:21 AM »
iam quite lucky to have to maiden head aquatics fairly local to me althow in opposite directions but my favourite is also located inside a very large nice garden centre  with a lovely restraunt with nice  cakes  ::)
althow that maiden head is quite small compared to many others i have found it to have a nice variety of fish and they do tend to change there stock around from time to time ,i was told by a member of staff that they can order in if you was after something they hadnt got from one of there other branches it usualy  takes a few days and a small deposit is required , my local one currently has ammano shrimp , lemmon shrimp , cherry shrimp, crystal red shrimp but all except the ammano are young babbies and  tiny ,
aplogies for awful grammar  not had my coffee yet  ???

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 08:01:10 AM »
Like Chris, I have a MA just a mile up the road in a really good garden centre with a coffee shop and cakes. Almost heaven! The MA is really good for both freshwater and marine, but the outside pond side of things is very limited.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 08:11:18 AM »
The MA shop was quite small to be fair, but long, almost like a train carriage. They'd made good use of the space though & the marine stuff definitely had my credit card sweating! I'll definitely go back at some point.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 08:16:26 AM »
..... the marine stuff definitely had my credit card sweating!

I know what you mean! Fortunately, we're aiming to move house before the year is out and any future purchase of tankage is well on the back-burner for a while. But a boy can dream. :)

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 03:10:26 PM »
The MA a couple of miles up the road is the smallest I've ever been in. It also does not have a good reputation because of who the manager is. The branch about 10 miles away is bigger and has a much better reputation, also in a garden centre. The biggest of all is the one 40 miles away in yet another garden centre (MA seems to like garden centers  ;D ) but conveniently is on the way home when we go shopping in York. This one seems to have a different species of cory in every tank!

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 07:37:36 PM »
I have an ma about 2 miles away and it's very good nice fairly decent sized in a garden Center just for a change lol, there's also one in Leeds that I've been to but didn't have as much in it just the usual stock of tetras, barbs and live bearers.

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 11:34:38 PM »
Hi Rich, with you mentioning Leeds I'm just wondering whether you've ever been to Ferry Bridge Aquatics? It's another one which is on my radar to visit but is also a bit of a trek to get to.

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 11:38:38 PM »
I certainly have been a couple of times, it's a nice shop and all the fish seem healthy and well maintained, my only issue with it was that a lot of the fish were almost if not fully grown so you are buying the finished article and can't watch them grow which is 1 of the things I really love. It's a great shop if a little cramped with the above my only criticism of it.

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 11:42:49 PM »
Sounds like they may be worth trying. What's their selection of fish like? Are they predominantly the tetra/barb/live bearer mix you referred to earlier or do they stock some more unusual species? Also, do they do any varieties of shrimp at all? Cheers

Offline Richard W

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 06:28:59 AM »
I've only recently discovered that I have a truly local LFS. It has a lot of unusual fish, more than the "normal" ones. Unfortunately, most of these are unusual for a very good reason, they are totally unsuitable for most people's tanks. The main reason is size, typically needing a 4 foot plus tank, sometimes much bigger, and often completely unsuitable for a community setup. However, I suspect that most are actually bought by people who can't provide the correct conditions but are attracted by these small juvenile "oddball" fish without considering the consequences.
There are many attractive easy care fish that could be more available, from the tetra/barb/danio groups etc., but unfortunately these lack obvious appeal in a dealer's tank and so are often missing while the immediately attractive but ultimately unsuitable clown loach is found everywhere.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 07:43:23 AM »
It comes back to the standards of the seller (which as we all know is often more iffy then not as profits get in the way!). My favourite LFS does just sell your 'everyday' types of fish and very little in the way of oddballs. In fairness as well, the Wharf Aquatics I visited the other day had loads of oddballs but it was stated on the tank whether they were suitable for community tanks and their expected size.

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 12:17:59 AM »
Sounds like they may be worth trying. What's their selection of fish like? Are they predominantly the tetra/barb/live bearer mix you referred to earlier or do they stock some more unusual species? Also, do they do any varieties of shrimp at all? Cheers

They do stock a decent variety of fish from your standard tetras to your more unusuals, I'd never come across peacock gudgeons in shops until I saw them in there, they also have some nice looking discus fish and marines, they have different stock often as the guy running it has about 100 tanks at home and brings in what he has once they sell out the stock they have, the guy running it knows his stuff quite well too, as I say the only real issues are the fish sizes as they are mostly fully grown and the shop is very packed in and can be a struggle to move around if it's busy!
Let me know what you think! As I've not been back for a few weeks now.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 08:05:18 AM »
Well I've been on the look out for Peacock Gudgeons so that pretty much nails on the visit for me (although I'll probably still call them beforehand to check they've got some in stock) :)

Not sure how soon I'll be able to get there though as I'm already booked up for the next couple of weekends! Will try to remember to feedback once I've been.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »
I'm just back from a trip to MA to stock up on frozen food and also to collect some endlers which I've been hankering after for a while. They'd just got them in stock when I phoned last week and I thought it best to give em a while to settle in before I bought some.

Now a proud owner of 6 endlers  :) and the end of stocking my first tank. They've got some good offers on tanks at my MA but sadly they don't deliver so I either will need to find somewhere else to get a good deal on a bigger tank or persuade one of my son's friends to be obliging and pick one up for us

Offline jesnon

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »
I'm just back from a trip to MA to stock up on frozen food and also to collect some endlers which I've been hankering after for a while. They'd just got them in stock when I phoned last week and I thought it best to give em a while to settle in before I bought some.

Now a proud owner of 6 endlers  :) and the end of stocking my first tank. They've got some good offers on tanks at my MA but sadly they don't deliver so I either will need to find somewhere else to get a good deal on a bigger tank or persuade one of my son's friends to be obliging and pick one up for us

Endlers really are lovely fish, congratulations on your new additions!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 08:06:03 PM »
I've been waiting for them to get some in. They're loving the tank and are pecking away at my mosses and other plants, eating the algae rather than the plants I hope. They're acting like they're starving and I'm sure that isnt the case. The guys that run my MA are all keen aquarists and happy to offer advice if you ask, one of the guys in particular loves 'talking' fish.

It's amazing how the addition of a few fish can change a tanks dynamics. I'm actually a tad worried that I might have bought them too small. My indian glass fish have rather large mouths  :yikes:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 02:29:13 PM »
Endlers pick at food all the time - when they aren't chasing each other. Males will chase each other but they don't do any harm. They'll race round the tank chasing one, then change direction and chase another. They will also display to each other. Don't worry if you see one with it's fins all flared and body twisted sideways, twitching in front of another endler. That's just males being males.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 03:21:53 PM »
. Don't worry if you see one with it's fins all flared and body twisted sideways, twitching in front of another endler. That's just males being males.
Ahhh so that's what it was doing, I did wonder when I saw one do that first thing this morning. And yep they haven't stopped picking, they're doing a very good job with the algae I have to say

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "First visit to a Maidenhead Aquatics!"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post May 16, 2015, 09:44:01 AM
by Cod_only_knows
6 Replies
Last post June 19, 2016, 11:37:13 AM
by Matt
3 Replies
Last post September 15, 2016, 07:08:19 PM
by Littlefish
5 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:33:47 PM
by Matt
8 Replies
Last post July 20, 2020, 07:43:30 PM
by LeakysLab

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: