Favourite Aquarium Fish - What's Yours And Why!?

Author Topic: Favourite Aquarium Fish - What's yours and why!?  (Read 13842 times) 37 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Favourite Aquarium Fish - What's yours and why!?
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 10:00:48 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I know they're not everyone's cup of tea, but my favourite fish are my kuhli loaches. There are so many hiding places that I don't see them often, but when n I do see them chilling out under the cryptocorynes it is a real treat.

I also love my harlequin rasboras, cardinal tetras and bronze corys.

Offline Methe3rd

• Fish Fry
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »
For me the impossible dream since I started is K.Bichirrus The African Glass Catfish.  I just cannot provide them with the space and compatible species.  Maybe one day.

Offline gummy

• Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 01:14:20 AM »
mine as to be pandas

Offline Resa

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2014, 03:04:14 AM »
Good choice....they are so-ooo cute!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2014, 01:45:47 AM »
Good choice....they are so-ooo cute!
Hi Resa! How are you. It's been a while since you have been around, I hope you are keeping wekk. We have missed you.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Resa

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 02:25:49 AM »
Hi Steve :wave:
Aar....that's nice....I've missed you mad buggers too ;) It's good to be back....I had a bit of a spell in hospital, and then have been mad crazy with work....and all the mad English tourists :)
Now I just have to try and catch up with what's been happening in the fishy world.
Anyway, I think I'm in the wrong thread....and that Steve fella is a stickler for that....don't want to get in trouble as soon as I'm back...do I? :rotfl:

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »
Corys - no contest. I swear one of my Julies winked at me today (quite a feat without eyelids) x

Offline evan47

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 10:50:08 AM »
 :fishy1:my fave is my aggazzis apistogramma flame red male, goes by the name of flash.
a truly beautiful fish, much nicer looking than the double red variety.
he also has two females for company, cheryl one and cheryl two.
they can get a little territorial when spawning but not really aggressive with other fish.
the two females have had their differences in the past but they have now buried the hatchet and get along ok.
........talking about hatchets i have just increased my group from 4 to 7 hoping they will feel a little more secure and swim a little lower in the tank. cute little fellas zipping around on the surface and sometimes venturing lower down. sometimes lined up in a row, sometimes 3 of them will follow themselves swimming in circles. :fishy1:

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2019, 10:01:48 PM »
Hi Folks,

The title of this thread needs no further explanation. So, I'll kick off by mentioning one fish species only with more to follow when time permits. The first on my list is the Panda Garra. For anyone who is not familiar with this fish, here it is:

https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/garra-flavatra/

Why do I like them? Well, first of all because they are attractive. Secondly, they are fascinating. When I first look into our community tank on a morning, this is the first fish to greet me. He comes to the front panel and looks me straight in the eyes. Quite extraordinary. Then, I usually get a wink from him. I chat to him (much to my wife's amusement). Although he has a partner, she just sits on the substrate resting. Now, here's the best bit. As soon as my wife or I put our hands in the tank, they are both on our hands and arms. They are ultra tame and seem to be fearless. An absolute gem.

JPC

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2019, 10:41:03 PM »
I have a group of 6 panda garra in the river tank. Their endless bickering is entertaining, and they are very active fish. They also scoot around the substrate using their fins almost like legs, and they have awesome pecs - when they are on the glass and you can see their underside they look like they spend at least an hour a day at the gym.  :rotfl:

I think I have to admit to having built the river set up around one fish species that I waited around 2 years to get. It's one of the hillstream loaches.
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/sewellia-lineolata/
They have a massive amount of personality for their size, and are completely unfazed by pretty much anything. Their markings are stunning and their little faces are adorable. When they are on the glass you can see their little hearts beating, which may not appeal to some, but it is fascinating. The males battle for dominance by clashing chest-to chest, like rays, but most of the time they glide around the tank, and graze on rocks. Occasionally they land on the head of a resting bulldog plec, before moving swiftly on. The way that they move around the glass & decor is also quite an unusual sort of wiggle. Their flattened bodies almost look like a wide figure 8, and the way they move when not swimming is very Beyonce "Single Ladies" in tempo and style.  :rotfl: Possibly the weirdest way to describe a fish, but accurate.  :D

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 05:43:42 AM »
the way they move when not swimming is very Beyonce "Single Ladies" in tempo and style.  :rotfl: Possibly the weirdest way to describe a fish, but accurate.  :D

We'll make a scientist of you yet!!  :isay:
I'm very jealous of your hillstream loaches, my next tank will 100% contain these fish!!

Personally I have to go with ram dwarf cichlids. They are such beautiful fish with such interesting behaviour/personalities.  The behaviour of a fish is a big factor for me. I would never pick ..g cardinal tetra for example as whilst an absolute stunner in the looks department, they can be boring to watch. They are also small which fits my personal criteria for small fish in a big tank. I don't like seeing discus being kept in the 220 litre tank I have for example... makes it look like a cage to me.  Anyway rant quickly over, Rams are not the easiest fish to keep though. They often don't last long in the home aquarium. They need soft water, large weekly water changes (to keep nitrates as low as possible), they need good floor space and need to get on with their tank mates (same species or otherwise) as stress is a significant factor too. Breeding them is equally challenging as brood care has largely been lost due to farm breeding techniques (also impacting genetic quality hence the care difficulty). So they are a challenge be a, but very rewarding.  There is also a bit of a community following for these fish which is nice when researching them etc.

Fiah that didn't quite make the list (to demonstrate it was not an easy decision!):
Pencilfish
Sparkling gourami
Ember tetra
Lots of other dwarf cichlids - agassizi, Nannacara Anomola...

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 06:31:53 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Personally I have to go with ram dwarf cichlids. They are such beautiful fish with such interesting behaviour/personalities...Rams are not the easiest fish to keep though. They often don't last long in the home aquarium. They need soft water, large weekly water changes (to keep nitrates as low as possible), they need good floor space and need to get on with their tank mates (same species or otherwise) as stress is a significant factor too. Breeding them is equally challenging as brood care has largely been lost due to farm breeding techniques (also impacting genetic quality hence the care difficulty). So they are a challenge be a, but very rewarding.

Hi @Matt

You may recall that I keep German Blue Rams (GBRs). They are certainly beautiful - particularly when light strikes them from the side. Their iridescent scales catch the light and it is a sight to behold. I currently have two males and four females in my community tank. Five of them were raised from a spawning in this very tank. It is a challenge raising the fry but, now that I know what to do, I am confident that it could be done again. The key to success lies in the feeding. Between my wife and myself, we raised no less than 41 healthy fish of which we sold 25 to Maidenhead Aquatics.

The community tank GH is currently 9.5dH. Temperature is a modest 26.5C. They are in a planted tank with CO2 injection. The plants take care of the nitrates and the water is only changed when I clean the external filter - about once a month. By closely monitoring water parameters, I find that this regime works very well. And I do have a good filtration system including media for removing dissolved organics.

JPC

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 06:55:39 PM »
Could you remind me the size of your tank @jaypeecee ? I have it in my head as 125litres... I want to keep them in greater numbers than I have had previously (max 3) when I try them again to disperse any aggression as it seems you have. I'm thinking similar numbers to you in a 220 litre. But was unsure if I was over-egging it... thoughts?

I'm not blessed with such soft water but it just within their recommended range...

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2019, 10:30:13 PM »
Could you remind me the size of your tank @jaypeecee ? I have it in my head as 125litres... I want to keep them in greater numbers than I have had previously (max 3) when I try them again to disperse any aggression as it seems you have. I'm thinking similar numbers to you in a 220 litre. But was unsure if I was over-egging it... thoughts?

I'm not blessed with such soft water but it just within their recommended range...

Hi @Matt

You are spot on with the size of my community tank - 125 litres. I don't use tap water. Remineralized RO/DI* water is my choice. It can be tailored to the tank inhabitants' specific requirements. I used to have my own RO setup but it is out of the question if you're on a water meter as is now the case. I get my RO/DI from MA.

Yes, a GH of 9.5dH is a tad higher than I would normally keep it. I recently wanted to increase the sulphur content of the water for the benefit of my plants. So, I used Epsom Salts, which raised GH from 8.0dH to 9.5dH (because of the magnesium content).

I think you'd be OK with six GBRs in a 220 litre tank - particularly as no doubt there will be plenty of plants in there! If ever you fancy breeding GBRs, let me know and I will try to help with advice on feeding the fry.

JPC

*DI = deionized

Offline Lynne W

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 07:48:35 PM »
but the Ruby Shark runs a close second.

Hiya Robert, when I had fish years ago, I had a Ruby who lived for 8 years called Sharkey, so original, and will also be my favourite.

But now it has to be my pearl gourami, I love how they'll eat from your hand and check you out with their feelers.

Rummy Nose Tetra (16) - Harlequin Rasbora (14) - Panda Cory (3) - Fiveband Barb (14) - Pearl Gourami (4) -

Offline Robert

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2019, 04:26:02 PM »
When I was in china, I found a lake with hundreds of Koi carp, huge fish. They'd swarm by the side of the lake and go crazy for the food you could buy from the little outlet. :)

Clown Barb (5) - Banded Rainbowfish (2) - Bolivian Ram (4) - Angelfish (1) - Checkered Barb (18) - African Red Eye (4) - Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (8) - Golden Panchax (1) -

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 05:54:36 PM »
Mine is still the humble goldfish. I still miss mine hugely.
One used to be in a tank in a room in line with the front door - she was so sociable that she used to go into a frenzy to greet me or anyone, and not just if she expected food. This veiltail had beautiful flowing fins.
Another (a common/comet) used to inhabit the living-room - he was less sociable with others and would either like (come out and interact with) or hate (hide behind a silk plant and keep a watchful and almost disapproving eye on) visitors. He was constantly vying for my attention including 'following' me with one eye firmly fixated on me as I moved around, used to spit stones against the glass to get my attention, behaved in a certain way or located himself in a particular position in the tank depending on what food he wanted, and would interact as though in conversation with me by taking turns to interact during pauses of me talking to him.

Besides feeling unfaithful if I were to get another goldfish, I now am a lot more knowledgeable and feel wretched for having kept them in what I now know to be too-small tanks. There is less of a bond with my tropicals which reduces the broken-heartedness aspect. Having said that, there are and have been some individual fish in the tropical tank with sufficiently strong personalities that they have their own names and thus are my unintentional favourites.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2019, 05:57:14 PM »
Ah, there's nothing quite like the noise made by a group of koi feeding. I still occasionally buy the food to feed the koi at MA. I don't think I'll every grow out of enjoying that.  ;D

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Favourite Aquarium Fish - What's yours and why!?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post June 13, 2014, 07:15:34 PM
by Digs1923
44 Replies
Last post December 15, 2015, 09:39:26 PM
by Alex_N
6 Replies
Last post September 25, 2014, 01:43:52 AM
by AndreaC
4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2015, 03:43:58 PM
by Richard W
7 Replies
Last post April 17, 2018, 11:09:07 PM
by TopCookie
0 Replies
Last post November 28, 2019, 07:44:32 PM
by Matt
11 Replies
Last post December 17, 2019, 01:50:52 PM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: