Author Topic: Epic tank errors  (Read 3972 times) 10 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Epic tank errors
« on: May 26, 2016, 11:57:50 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well, it's been quite a morning. Coming to the conclusion that I am nothing short of a total muppet has been quite enlightening. I am far from happy with what I have done, but decided to share the story in the hope that others could learn from my mistakes, and in the hope that others would also document some of their errors (if any) to make me feel a bit better.
A few weeks ago I replanted my tropical 125L tank with real plants. The aquabase went in, followed by a substantial amount of substrate. Everything went well and the glass bloodfin tetras settled back in, then I got some silver hatchets and a little bristlenose plec. All was good. I spent a bit of time on the CC to look at stock levels, then had a good look at the tank. I had gone a tad overboard with the substrate and realised that if I had not used quite so much I would have more space available. Last night I moved the fish, heater and filter to the temporary tank and moved the majority of the plants to the plant tank.
The plan for this morning was to remove the water and some of the substrate, then start again.This is where it went very wrong.
As I was removing the water I thought I saw some movement. I thought perhaps it was bits of dead plant, but on closer inspection it turned out to be a lone glass bloodfin who had been in the tank all night without a filter or heater.  :yikes: I had thought I was capable of counting to eight, but apparently not. It has been moved to the temporary tank with the others, but I am very concerned that my actions have caused it a lot of distress and that it's chances of survival are not what they should be.  :(
I have continued with my tank plan, removed most of the water and an entire bucket of substrate, and have started to refill the tank. I'm going to replant, but leave the fish in the temporary tank for a few days because they've been through enough for now.
When I do move the fish back into the 125L tank, if there are any fatalities I will know that I have made a huge mistake this week with my fish. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the health of my fish, and have learned a big lesson about planning tanks, but could still kick myself for my stupidity. :vcross:

Offline ColinB

Re: Epic tank errors
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 12:31:21 PM »
Easily done.... eight's a big number and you were busy ;D

I hope your little fishy is OK. I've had 4 fish leap from my tank and splat on to the carpet, and fortunately for 3 of them, I was around at the time and the cats weren't, so they were scooped up and put back. Fishy #4 wasn't quite so lucky. *sigh* They were young and foolish then.

I don't think a tank is ever 'finished'.... I futz with mine about every year, changing the substrate or re-planting, and I'm always thinking of how to 'improve' it both visually for me and habitabilityworthynessy for the occupants. Perhaps I ought to get another tank to play with?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 12:39:19 PM »
We all make mistakes, Donna. You no doubt wouldn't have had clear water in the disturbance of catching the others so it would have been hard to spot, especially if it's hiding from capture... Fingers crossed the wee fella survives. Do you know how low the temperature had got to? X

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 12:48:18 PM »
I've forgotten to put the heater back on and there were no serious repercussions overnight, this time of year the ambient temp indoors is probably around 22C so don't worry too much Donna, there was probably enough bacteria on the hardscaping and tank walls etc to deal with whatever ammonia 1 lone fish produced.

edited to add: is this the tank with the baby cory?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
I've forgotten to put the heater back on and there were no serious repercussions overnight, this time of year the ambient temp indoors is probably around 22C so don't worry too much Donna, there was probably enough bacteria on the hardscaping and tank walls etc to deal with whatever ammonia 1 lone fish produced.
I concur absolutely with the above. Fingers crossed all will be fine.

I've done far worse (no time to relay examples at the mo as I only have 5mins or so to be on here, and also don't want to upset myself thinking about them in too much detail). In fishkeeping, it's so easy to make an oversight despite normally being extremely diligent or to do something with the best of intentions only for hindsight to make it seem completely the wrong action, then spend weeks/months beating oneself up about it which doesn't do any good at all.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 01:21:37 PM »
For the purposes of my own education I have read through the "Power-cut"  article after a conversation this morning about power losses and me realising I should really be more clued-up in case I ever had one... The most prevalent problem in your circumstances would be the temperature drop since the water would be quite well oxygenated and devoid of ammonia and nitrites since you had just removed the filter.

With regards to the temperature, it is unlikely to have had much negative impact since a very gradual drop and rise in temp over 24 hours is preferable to quicker fluctuations, which is why we are advised in the article not to try to employ external heating for a tank during a power cut such as blow heaters.

It advises to use externally heated water contained in some sort of vessel that keeps the water contained and transfers heat slowly to the tank water.

I'm sure the wee fella should be ok. Don't beat yourself up. I'll post my story of my own mishap whilst moving house later on. This thread should prove quite informative x

Offline Crispyz99

• Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 03:56:18 PM »
I went on holiday once to the South of Devon for a week... In that time my fish back home suffered a power cut which lasted 3 days. Unbeknownst to me when i returned.

When i returned, i checked everyone and their mothers to make sure they were ok, the fish that is! Which thankfully they were.

The fish looked to be in good health and a day later my guppies gave birth :) We had 13 baby guppies.

Freak incident turned out not to be so detrimental after all :)

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 04:45:06 PM »
I lost some fish during a house move.

The fish were transferred into a bucket with a bag of filter media, heater and bubble stone. The plan was for the next morning moving the tank to the new house and setting up asap. In the space of two hours two of the fish had jumped out of the bucket and died on the floor.

Top tip: Cling film the bucket to keep the fish safe and to be able to check on them. Don't worry about putting holes in the clingfilm,  the bubble stone maintains oxygen levels.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 04:46:17 PM »
Thanks all for the support, information and stories.
I don't know how low the temperature dropped as I'd also moved the thermometer, but the little fella was a bugger to catch, so I'm hoping that he was still feeling quite active. I was faffing with the tank until quite late last night, so the filter and heater were moved at around 11-11.30. I found the tetra before 10 this morning, so I hope that the time was short enough not to have done him too much harm.
It was the tank with the baby bristlenose. He had been moved to the temporary tank the night before and was the easiest one to catch as he has hidden himself on the underside of a leaf, so I put a plastic bag over the plant and moved the whole thing.
I'm feeling a bit better about things now, and I guess time will tell whether or not the fish feel the same way.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 04:59:55 PM »
On several occasions I've forgotten to turn the heater back on after a water change and not noticed for a couple of days - I only realised when I noticed the fish were less active and investigated the cause. I've also forgot to turn the filter back once, though I did notice that in the evening.

A couple of years ago we had a planned power outage for 8 hours (work on the substation). All I did was feed the fish half rations for 2 days before and nothing at all on the day. I couldn't use 2 litre bottles filled with hot water to warm the tank as I had no means of heating water without electricity. The fish came through with no problems.

I think the worst thing I've ever done was to suck up my male agassizi apisto a couple of months ago. He didn't die outright but I had to stop mid water change to mix up some clove oil as the damage so was horrendous I couldn't leave him like that.  :-[

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 06:53:35 PM »
The apisto incident sounds quite unpleasant. I've not had to consider clove oil yet, but I'm guessing it's only a matter of time when keeping fish for a long time. Not only do accidents happen, but fish get very ill, or very old, and sometimes options are limited.
I try not to think about it.

I went for a coffee with the boss this afternoon, so had a mosey to the fish place near work that I don't normally go to because it's smaller and more expensive than the other places. The most sensible thing I've done for a while is leave the shop today without buying some figure eight puffers, who swam to the front of the tank and looked adorable with their big eyes and fluttery fins. Darn you puffers, with your goofy faces and puppy dog eyes.  ::)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Epic tank errors"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
0 Replies
Last post December 11, 2012, 06:26:01 PM
by maz1
5 Replies
Last post December 16, 2012, 10:04:20 AM
by maz1
Our Tank

Started by pmalipha Gallery Showcase

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2013, 04:58:24 PM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 08:38:57 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
31 Replies
Last post December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM
by AndreaC
18 Replies
Last post March 07, 2015, 06:07:04 PM
by Aquamaid

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: