Larger Tank Possible [some Missing Posts In Thread]

Author Topic: Larger tank possible [some missing posts in thread]  (Read 6330 times) 39 replies

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Larger tank possible
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 04:03:36 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi @Sue i got told to use something called JBL Aquadur. Just got to work out dosage before I start.

Hi @barneyadi

I think you'll find it was me that suggested you may wish to consider adding JBL Aquadur here:

https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-advice/water-parameters-3895/msg47109/#msg47109

JBL Aquadur, as stated in the link, is 'one possible product' to increase your water hardness.

JPC

Yes, knew someone had told me about it @jaypeecee

Now got to consider which way to go fish wise in two tanks. Guppies, Platyies and Swordtails make sense in one tank. Just the other i am struggling with.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 04:39:24 PM »
JBL Aquadur is fine. It's just that when most people say salt, they mean plain sodium chloride, the same stuff we put on chips and sold as aquarium salt - you had me worried  :)

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 07:10:45 PM »
Ok, I have seen some fish that come under the heading Dwarf Cichlids. All of them advise that you have peaceful tank mates as if not the cichlids will hide.

Can anyone give me an idea of how many cichlids you should keep and suitable tank mates?

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 12:14:17 AM »
This doesn’t seem quite right to me... you would ordinarily have a pair of dwarf cichlids and they are most likely to be the more aggressive fish compared to many of the other classic community tank inhabitants such as terras or corys.

Offline Sue

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 09:33:01 AM »
With dwarf cichlids from south America it is usual to have tetras or pencilfish in the tank to act as dither fish.  This simply means fish that swim in the higher water levels and their presence shows the cichlids that it is safe to come out.
Cories can be a problem if a pair of cichlids breed because cories have no concept of territory and never learn to stay away from eggs/fry so they get picked on.

As for numbers of cichlids, that depends on the species and the size of the tank. But whichever species, only only one species per tank. Some dwarf cichlids live as bonded pairs while some live as harems - 1 male and several females.
With a bonded pair, they must choose each other. You can't buy any male and any female as they may well not get on and could easily end up with a dead fish. I can explain how to do this if you wish.
Harems occur with some species of apistogramma. The tank size will limit the number of females. Each female needs enough space to form a territory. If this is the 240 litre, maybe 1 male 2 females. But not all apistos are harem rbreeders. With some you need a bonded pair.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 07:26:03 PM »
 Hi @Sue  and @Matt

The cichlid I was looking at was a apistogramma cacatuoides. On Seriously Fish it says it needs dither fish whilst on another it states 'These little cichlids are timid fish and tank mates should be chosen to compliment this. As with most cichlids, they can become territorial during breeding. They can be kept with other dwarf cichlids.'

So reading things neons and pencilfish would be happy?

Offline Sue

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 07:45:55 PM »
I would ignore wherever it was saying cockatoos can be kept with other cichlids. But neons and pencilfish would be very good dither fish.

You need to watch out for sleeper males with this fish. These are males which look like females to escape being bullied by a dominant male. I once bought a pair from a breeder (not a shop) and they turned out to be 2 males. The way to spot a sleeper male is that it will never be the brilliant bright yellow of a female, so look for the yellowest fish in the shop tank.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 08:10:06 PM »
I would ignore wherever it was saying cockatoos can be kept with other cichlids. But neons and pencilfish would be very good dither fish.

You need to watch out for sleeper males with this fish. These are males which look like females to escape being bullied by a dominant male. I once bought a pair from a breeder (not a shop) and they turned out to be 2 males. The way to spot a sleeper male is that it will never be the brilliant bright yellow of a female, so look for the yellowest fish in the shop tank.

Thanks @Sue i did think that keeping with other cichlids was a no no. How many cichlids of this type would be ok? Would it just be a pair?

Offline Sue

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 08:34:10 PM »
If this is a 240 litre, one male, 2 females should be fine. Make sure you have more caves than females, evenly spaced through the tank. Females can be picky about which cave they like so you need to give them a choice. Caves can be anything - coconut shells, a piece of wood with a cavity, a small terracotta plant pot with a hole cut in the rim and stood upside down, a short length of pvc piping, a slate cave....... You are limited only by your imagination  :)

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 08:37:04 PM »
Sue posted as I was typing but I agree they can be kept as a pair or as a harem with one male and multiple females from the quick bit of research I did.

I’d be interested in opinions on having 2 females as I think I’d want to go for a pair or a male with 3 or more females. I feel like 2 females would open up one of the females (either less dominant, or not paired, or not breeding) to being picked on.

I’ll keep researching... but don’t know if anyone has experience with this?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2020, 08:47:07 PM »
Nothing is ever clear cut with the internet but I think I’m leaning towards 3 or 4 females being best and in your tank size I would say go for 3 if your going to do a harem (which also seems the best approach from what I’ve read). A trusted poster on another forum has direct experience with this... see post 4 here:

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/apistogramma.18671/

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2020, 08:58:00 PM »
Nothing is ever clear cut with the internet but I think I’m leaning towards 3 or 4 females being best and in your tank size I would say go for 3 if your going to do a harem (which also seems the best approach from what I’ve read). A trusted poster on another forum has direct experience with this... see post 4 here:

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/apistogramma.18671/

@Sue @Matt the Cockatoo Cichlid i am looking at is the dwarf variety (supposedly grows to 7cm). Does that make any difference to numbers?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2020, 09:02:57 PM »
No I’m pretty sure we are all on the same track with the fish choice...

Apistogramma cacatuoides

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2020, 09:06:44 PM »
Yeah, says on seriously fish they grow to 7.5cm and you can have a pair in a 60x30cm tank.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2020, 04:13:55 PM »
So the tank has arrived, a Roma 200. Had a slight delivery issue, as they delivered tank one day and cabinet today, but here it is put in place. I tried two other places but the floor was very uneven.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2020, 05:20:11 PM »
 :cheers:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2020, 05:51:13 PM »
Exciting times.  :afro

Offline jaypeecee

• Still learning...
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2020, 08:27:56 PM »
After some views on a possible new tank. I quite like angelfish but my current tanks are only 80cm long. I understand from research in various places that angelfish need 100cm and height. For example the Fluval Roma 200 has been recommended to me.

Hi @barneyadi

Your new tank looks nice. Is that a good solid floor that you have it on? It looks it. Just that 200kg+ possibly benefits from a solid floor. No doubt you've already considered this.

Out of interest, what fish do you keep in your current tanks?

JPC

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2020, 08:35:53 PM »
Hi @jaypeecee

Floor is very solid, got 2 other tanks in other room with same flooring.

As for stock, I have started a new link here. https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/general-fishkeeping-advice/stocking-ideas/

Any thoughts?

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2020, 06:10:19 PM »
[Some posts missing in this thread as, regrettably for us given that she was a valued member, former member Fishtales left the forum and deleted most of her posts.]

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Larger tank possible [some missing posts in thread]"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 06:08:26 PM
by fcmf
29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:56:48 PM
by fcmf
14 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:59:45 PM
by fcmf
47 Replies
Last post February 07, 2020, 05:51:51 PM
by fcmf
10 Replies
Last post January 20, 2020, 07:45:26 PM
by jaypeecee
6 Replies
Last post January 15, 2020, 06:56:16 PM
by jaypeecee
4 Replies
Last post January 25, 2020, 10:05:53 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: