Author Topic: Corydoras unexpected death  (Read 3077 times) 4 replies

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Corydoras unexpected death
« on: February 14, 2015, 02:00:08 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi,

I turned my tank lights on today to find one of my corydoodles has died  :'(

I hadn't noticed anything wrong with him so am a bit mystified!!!  The only thing I noticed about his body that could be relevant were that he appeared to have an empty stomach and I remember being told that when their under carriage is concave it signals weight loss and he definitely showed this.

I am a light feeder, so perhaps he didn't get enough food? In fact thinking of it he did always come to the surface at feeding time and joined in the general tussle for food. I do hope that I didn't starve him to death!!!  :yikes:

I've fed everyone a big meal of frozen blood worm, making sure the other cory got a good share by dropping it in front of him with a syringe and then making sure none of the other fish went near him while he ate.

I did test my water incidentally and all was fine.

FC76

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Corydoras unexpected death
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 02:17:03 PM »
It could be just one of those things. He may have had a sunken underside if he hasn't been feeling well and just not eating.
Feeding bottom dwellers can be a problem with greedy upper and mid water fish in the same tank. Pre-soaking sinking food will get it to the bottom faster, escpecially if you use a turkey baster or syringe to drop it in front of the cories. Or adding their food when the tank and the room are in darkness so the cories can find it when the other fish are asleep.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »
Pellets are very good for cories, throw them in at the same time as feeding flake etc and they will go straight to the bottom for the cories to find while the other fish are busy.

I'm not a great believer in light feeding, and  starve days in particular. I think the logic is faulty, you have to overfeed greatly to pollute the tank and it doesn't take much observation to learn how much your fish will comfortably eat. It may be true that fish in the wild sometimes go without for a while, but that doesn't mean it's good for them. I rely on flake, granules and pellets for the main diet, live and frozen may be much enjoyed, but the prepared foods do meet all the needs in a concentrated form and are the most reliable.

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 06:09:40 PM »
Thanks guys,

I have problems with one of glow lights who has learnt to follow the corys round the tank to find what ever food I put in for them. She barges them out of the way and will eat as much food as she can possibly fit in her mouth, even if her stomach looks like she has swallowed a marble already!!!!!

I will have to find a way to separate her from the cory at feeding time. Or I could just pull my finger out and get on with setting the shrimp tank up, then perhaps the cory could go in there with a few mates??

FC76

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 07:01:22 PM »
You could try feeding the cory when the tank and room lights are out. Cories are active in the dark and should be able to find the food then.

And now you are down to just one, you could really do with more of the same species or this last one could become stressed.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Corydoras unexpected death"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 11:03:36 AM
by TigzFish
4 Replies
Last post July 06, 2013, 04:25:55 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2016, 08:49:16 PM
by Paddyc
5 Replies
Last post January 07, 2017, 09:31:48 PM
by Littlefish
6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2018, 09:39:13 AM
by Littlefish
7 Replies
Last post June 13, 2018, 10:39:43 PM
by daveyng
24 Replies
Last post May 05, 2019, 02:07:12 PM
by jaypeecee

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: