Author Topic: Changing substrate  (Read 13220 times) 72 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Changing substrate
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2018, 04:50:13 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Sometimes the internet can be a bit strange.
Whilst searching for the clip @Matt mentioned I accidentally came across a forum which included some fan fiction involving JM and a red arowana. It was funny and disturbing in equal measure.  :rotfl:  :sick:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2018, 05:34:37 PM »
I suspect the water flow washed down the front of the tank and moved the sand that way. But the shape of the piled up sand doesn't quite make sense for that. So I wonder if it could have been the flow from the additional pump crashing into the flow washing the front of the tank.

I have a tank with a drilled bottom, so don't have any flexibility when it comes to moving the pipes. All I can do is adjust the height and angle of the outlet. I also have a small pump at the other end of the tank, so I've increased the height of that.

I'll have to keep an eye on things and expect that I'll have to make more tweaks before I get it right.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2018, 06:05:48 PM »
The most timid axolotl (Mr Pringles), who used to spend the majority of his time in the corner cave, is now pretty much spending all of his time out at the front of the tank with the others. I'm chuffed to bits.  :)
:cheers:

I will also be considering red cherry shrimps. Though I've got more research to do to confirm whether they will be ok.
Can't remember whether I mentioned this already, and apologies if I have, but I do recall reading about your concern re red cherry shrimps and I meant to mention reading on here about the benefits of beta glucans; you may also find that you can address your concerns through some of the products on here https://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/13-shrimp-food

Hmm. Is this overnight aquascaping due to the inhabitants of the tank, or the water flows?
I have a "waterfall" type filter ie water cascades downwards and it leaves an ever-increasing sized hole where the sand should be, sending the sand out to the side and uprooting any plants or plant pots in that area. It is possible to mitigate the effects of this by putting a catappa leaf, a plant which can tolerate being buffeted about or another piece of decor immediately below it (a moss ball just gets swept away) but, even then, the actual location and shape of the hole can vary.

I'm quite short, and had problems setting up the river tank. On more than one occasion I considered actually getting in, but was worried I wouldn't be able to get back out again.
:rotfl:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2018, 08:05:14 PM »
Thanks @fcmf . I do remember reading that link that you posted somewhere else (I can't remember where!). It is one of the things that got me seriously considering shrimp. I'm not interested in adjusting my water parameters, as I'm trying to minimise the maintenance on my tank. I'd rather chose stock that is happy in the water I have. But if I could get shrimp that would be happy in the water, then I'm happy to give them a food supplement.

Bearing in mind that I have rasboras that will eat all food that is out (even sinking pellets forge bottom feeders) (and I don't yet know how future fish purchases will behave), could you recommend a shrimp food? Or even a type? There seems so much choice, I wouldn't know where to start.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2018, 10:38:26 AM »
Tweaking the water flows seems to have worked. No big holes in the sand this morning.  ;)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2018, 10:29:05 PM »
So I've discovered the cause of the substrate redistrution. Not the water flows, nor the kuhli loaches, but Bertie (my BN Plec).

I tidied up all the holes I could find, yesterday and it occurred to me that they are all near his favourite hangouts (not just in the sand, but also the finer gravel had been re-arranged.)

This afternoon I noticed that the sand under the newest cave had been shifted (it had been fine 10 minutes earlier!). Effectively enlarging the cave. And inside the cave, filling the space quite nicely was a BN!

I've just watched him in the hole at the front of the tank and he was swishing his large tail and I could seen sand flying about.

Hmm, I'll have to have a think about how to solve this problem. One of the caves I can make bigger, another I will just have to leave at the size Bertie makes it and smooth out the pile of gravel that he's moved out of the way.

I'm at a bit of a loss a to what do with the excavation at the front of the tank - other than keep filling it in. Or even just leave the divot and smooth out the excavated sand. I wasn't thinking of doing the latter until I just saw a kuhli feeding at the bottom of the hole - there must be something tasty down there!

At least I know the fish are enjoying the new set up.  :rotfl:

Offline Sue

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Some fish do love to rearrange the tank to suit them. In my tank it's the stiphodons as they like to tunnel under things. And for a few weeks I had a strange hollow in the sand which turned out to be the two male peacock gudgeons going round each other in circles sizing each other up. So I'm not surprised to find that Bertie has been excavating you tank. It may look perfect to you but BNs obviously have a different concept of perfect  ;D

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2018, 09:33:29 AM »
 :rotfl:
At least you have found the culprit.
That's the things with live animals, however much hard work you put in to creating a beautiful environment for them, they will still make their own minor adjustments.
My male BN also likes to rearrange areas around his main cave, and the gobies enjoy burrowing, but my mudskippers are the worst offenders. Their rearrangements in the tank are numerous, and have made it look more natural.
I think that Sue has a very valid point about the fish having a different concept of perfect when it comes to their environments. Unless it's going to cause a major problem in the tank, I'd be tempted to leave the rearrangements as they are, otherwise it may become a constant battle between you and Bertie.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2018, 10:48:51 AM »
Ive got an vision of a pissed of Bertie sat staring at you as you walk away from the tank after putting it back to your version of perfect, or readig a little magazine looking for a new owner perhaps...  :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2018, 01:39:25 PM »
Bertie leaning over to the other fish in the tank "look what she's done, just when I'd just got it perfect, she's gone and put it all back".  :rotfl:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »
If being able to rearrange the tank means my fish are more happy with their environment, i think it's a good thing.

The excavations I'm most worried about are the ones under decoration, in case it destabilises them. The one under the bogwood is probably ok - the wood is more likely to tip in the other direction, and if by some chance Bertie does manage to enlarge his cave enough to make the wood tip onto it, the wood would rest against the back of the tank before it squashed him.

However, I was worried about the rock cave, which is a flat stone resting on a oval stone - both with bolbitus attached to them. They used to be siliconed together, but the silicone wasn't strong enough to hold the stones together when I repeatedly moved them, recently. And now I can't leave the plants out of the water long enough to re apply the silicon. I've tried gluing the stones with the seachem flourish glue, but it didn't work (I now just have white patches on the stones).

So I'd pushed the stones into the sand to increase their stability. But this clearly means the cave is too  small for Bertie's taste! I'll have to find a compromise with Bertie that means he has  the space he wants without me constantly worrying that he's going to get squashed!

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2018, 06:30:45 PM »
I should add that all your comments about what Bertie is saying had me laughing out loud.  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2018, 06:47:04 PM »
One of the larger fish (can't remember which) at an LFS made a lot of changes to the tank, especially around the cave she liked. Steve said that when he pushed the substrate back she would peck at his hand and try to push him away. He said that at least it gave her something to do to keep her occupied, bearing in mind that tanks in shops don't often have as much decor in them for the fish to explore. Fair point.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Changing substrate"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
22 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 09:20:58 PM
by SteveS
4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 11:04:21 AM
by Fishx4
18 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 09:29:13 AM
by Diz1
22 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 08:56:22 AM
by Sue
25 Replies
Last post January 01, 2017, 12:44:38 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post September 23, 2017, 09:20:28 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 07:12:50 PM
by suzie61

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: