Changing Substrate

Author Topic: Changing substrate  (Read 13256 times) 72 replies

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Changing substrate
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 09:04:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Thanks@Matt, you've premptively answered one of my questions! Turned out to be a much bigger task than I realised. So it didn't get finished last night.

One of my main aims with re-doing the substrate is to significantly reduce the level. I've been concerned since soon after setting up my tank (nearly 8 years ago) that it was too deep.

I stopped tank renovation work last night because I've run out of space to put the substrate that I'm removing! I think I've taken out a few litres of gravel so far. (And about 100l of water!) But it's no where near enough yet (and it is just the end third of the tank so far!). I was looking at it last night trying to decide how much to take the level down. If I go down to about an inch, I've got the same to go again!

I had been thinking about getting a finer gravel, but I have Eco Complete substrate under my gravel, and as expected the finer particles are lower down. So by removing the top layers, I'm actually removing the larger gravel. And the lighter gravel. So another side effect is that my substrate is getting progressively more black. Which is actually quite attractive (imo).

It is interesting seeing how the fish have reacted to the disruption. The rasboras were swimming around as though they
were saying "where's my plants? What have you done to my plants?"

I didn't expect to see the kuhli loaches out in the non planted area, but one of them seemed to like the new dark substrate. And I saw behaviour I've never seen before: it looked like the kuhli was hunting and pouncing. Makes me wonder what was living in the gravel that I disturbed!

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 09:09:53 AM »
You have taken on quite a task, and are doing really well.
Lots of little creatures that we can't see live in our tanks, so it's great to hear about your khuli loaches hunting for food. Sometimes it's a good thing to disturb areas of a tank and fascinating to see fish finding these natural sources of food.  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 09:41:30 AM »
At first I thought there was something wrong with the kuhli. Then I realised that the sudden movement was actually very controlled and looked like a pounce. What I think of as normal, pootling movement that I guess was stalking, then sudden fast movement that stopped just as suddenly as it started. I'm looking forward to seeing it again. Helps motivate me to do the next lot of renovation!

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2017, 10:58:44 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I finally managed to get the substrate level down and the valisneria replanted.

I have also planted a new nymphea lotus bulb / plant. Hopefully it'll survive. I'm thinking that I should have put a root tab underneath it. But will try to put one in a bit later, after the tank has had a chance to settle a bit again - when I do the next phase of substrate removal!

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2017, 06:41:05 AM »
Looks good! That sure is a lot of vallis to plant  :yikes:

Bulb plants generally are pretty indestructible, though they can wait around for the right time/conditions. I experimented with mine for a long time before learning what they like... They then finally sent up proper leaves etc - it's quite a nice process.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 08:58:32 AM »
Looks great.  :cheers:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 11:05:25 PM »
It seems that the large (and cooler!) water changes at the weekend have caused my rasboras to start breeding. There are at least 2 espeii that look gravid. I don't think any of the harlies are I have a feeling they might all be males, but I am no good at sexing them.

I don't imagine any eggs will survive - the kuhlis seem to be able to get into the most surprisingly small spaces. And are pretty active hunters.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 11:22:37 PM »
They have probably bred many times in the tank without you knowing. The chances of any fry surviving with the parents (let alone other fish) around is pretty minimal.

Good indicator they are happy in the tank though despite all the recent activity  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2017, 11:43:35 PM »
Am I mad to be looking for a garden sieve with 2mm mesh to sort all my removed substrate?  :o

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2017, 06:10:53 AM »

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2017, 08:40:00 AM »
This is the one I'd found:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006HUU3XG/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AG4YIN65BG0QU&psc=1

I feel slightly less foolish using gardening equipment on my tank than if I was using archeological equipment (I know by they are the same thing with different names!)  :isay: :o

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2017, 08:56:42 AM »
Looks good to me...

Doesn't bother me what someone decided they want to call it... will it work?... Yes!

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2017, 09:15:21 AM »
I use a metal kitchen sieve, which is now part of my dedicated fish tool kit, so use whatever works for you.  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2017, 09:33:03 PM »
Mid way through replanting phase 2 and having a breather an review.

Am going to have to decide where the small bits of bogwood are going to be, so I can plant crypts around them.

Turns out the bit of aquascaping I'm significantly less good at, is fixing stuff to wood and rocks. It took me ages a few weeks ago and nearly all of it needs redoing.  :yikes:

Anyway, here's a pic for those that like to see in progress photos...

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2017, 11:20:51 PM »
I'm rubbish at attaching plants to wood with thread, so I use the Flourish glue https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seachem-Plant-Flourish-Glue-Tube/dp/B00NG4WO60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511738334&sr=8-1&keywords=flourish+glue
Much easier, as long as you don't glue your fingers to the wood.  ;)

You're doing a great job with your tank, well done.  :)

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2017, 11:29:50 PM »
Thanks @Littlefish . I'll look out for the plant glue.

Anyway, here is a pic of the tank after the phase 2 of the substrate removal and the subsequent replanting. I am actually feeling rather pleased with myself, because I managed to get crypts planted nicely amongst the bogwood pieces. Not that you can really see from the photo because most of my crypts are copper or olive coloured. I might have to get some small green crypts at some stage. But it won't be till this is all done and settled.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2017, 07:24:23 AM »
Looks good Helen!!  :D

Just one more session to go by the looks of it!!  :cheers:

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2017, 09:40:33 AM »
Thanks @Matt . Think I've got more than one session to go! The cupboard under my tank is conveniently in 3 equal sections. And it shows that the last 'third' is a bit more than that. And I'm expecting it I be the most difficult third because I don't think I can get my giant bogwood out of the tank. So I'll have to clear all the crypts, reduce the substrate, move the bogwood into the clear low bit, remove the rest of the substrate and get the bogwood repositioned and at before replanting the crypts.

I also want to take out some more gravel and replace it with sand and the smaller gravel that I'm going to sieve out from what I've removed.

I've spent nearly 8 years wishing I'd put less substrate in. Now I'm doing something about it, I might as well go the whole hog so I don't spend the next 8 years wishing I'd not given up before achieving my plan!

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2018, 11:48:59 PM »
So I've removed the gravel from the final "third" of the tank. Didn't take me quite as long as expected, largely due to the new 'tool' I got for £2.50 from Amazon. (See attached photo).

But I've run out of steam before re-planting  all my crypts.

When I pulled up my anubias, I discovered that it was much bigger than I had realised. I've trimmed the end and the roots and put it back onto the gravel. It's currently being held down by a penguin (the only artificial decoration in my tank. It was given to me by my 2 yr old daughter for mother's Day, so it has to stay in the tank. I hide it in the corner, under the anubias. Where it is at eye level for small children, but hidden from everyone else's view)

I've got the substrate level a bit lower than I want, because I intend to sieve out some of the smaller grains from the substrate I've removed, and put it back into the tank. Will I need to wash the substrate before I put it back in? I have stored it in carrier bags, and some of it has dried out, but otherwise I've not done anything to it since removing it from the tank.

Then the last stage before I can start restocking with fish, is to put the sand area in. This will mean taking out more gravel (but from an area I've already done and deliberately left with less substrate, so hopefully won't take too long) and of course I need to wash the sand.

The end is in sight...

Offline Sue

« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2018, 09:11:17 AM »
I would wash the old substrate, just to get the muck out of it. This won't take nearly as many rinses as washing new substrate  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Changing substrate"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
22 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 09:20:58 PM
by SteveS
4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 11:04:21 AM
by Fishx4
18 Replies
Last post March 26, 2015, 09:29:13 AM
by Diz1
22 Replies
Last post July 19, 2016, 08:56:22 AM
by Sue
25 Replies
Last post January 01, 2017, 12:44:38 PM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post September 23, 2017, 09:20:28 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 07:12:50 PM
by suzie61

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: