Bought A Fish Tank.

Author Topic: Bought a fish tank.  (Read 26736 times) 143 replies

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
Bought a fish tank.
« on: May 08, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Well I bought a tank today, ordered and paid for at my lfs. Pretty good price, similar to internet prices. Anyway, I'm in two minds about the shop itself. Friendly helpful staff, great prices on everything, but the tanks containing fish for sale look a bit grubby, not like the pristine ones in p@h! Maybe that's a good thing!? They are my only two experiences of fish shops, well that and upstairs in Cardiff market. I tried to visit another independent yesterday but they were shut, no explanation as to why.
What should I be looking out for in an lfs?

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Bought a tank!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 05:23:41 PM »
oooo - what sort of tank did you get?

A few things to look out for:

Dead fish.
Diseased fish.
Incompatable fish kept together.
Sort of casually hang around while the staff are talking to other customers and listen to what they say. Are they selling tanks AND fish at the same time? Do they mention cycling? Are they selling one or two fish when the fish is a shoaling fish and really needs to be in groups of six or more?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 05:53:37 PM »
It might seem a bit OTT but I would suggest that you visit your prospective lfs a number of times before you actually buy any fish - the odd dead or poorly fish isn't the end of the world as this doesn't necessarily indicate poor water quality or disease; some fish are just genetically weak and something like the stress of being moved can tip them over the edge, but if there are quite a few and/or they are left in the tanks for an extended period then this isn't a good sign. The multiple visits can also help you get a feel for the store and staff (as per Colin's advice re: what staff are saying etc).

:isay: Someone has also previously suggested that you should ask the staff some questions about fish-keeping to which you already know the answer (or have researched in advance) and see whether the staff give you the correct advice - again, referring to Colin's advice, your could ask them about shoal numbers or the nitrogen cycle for example. Bit sneaky and haven't tried it myself but I can see how it could help differentiate your responsible lfs from those which aren't!

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »
I went for the aqua nano 40 in the end as I just really liked it, and so does the husband. I know it's small, but there's still a decent variety of fish that are ok in it according to the community creator. I'm going to try to squeeze some plants in too, hopefully using the soil under sand substrate.
So do you think grubby tanks is just cosmetic? I mean they aren't filthy, just not super clean.
It's just a small shop so not really heard what they say to other customers yet. I would like to check out some more local shops, but this is very close and just off a street I walk down every day.
Btw saw a lovely looking catfish in one of the tanks (oh the other thing about this shops the labels are all over the place so neon tetras labelled as wcmm etc) they were tiny, 2-3cm and had really distinct leopard markings. Googled leopard Cory, but not quite like that.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 06:12:55 PM »
Btw saw a lovely looking catfish in one of the tanks (oh the other thing about this shops the labels are all over the place so neon tetras labelled as wcmm etc) they were tiny, 2-3cm and had really distinct leopard markings. Googled leopard Cory, but not quite like that.

You could use this as a test for the shop - ask them about the fish; what species it is, how big it grows (some catfish can get huge!), what water conditions it requires, how easy it is to look after etc, then go home and research it to see whether their advice stacks up.  ;)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »

One of these perhaps (Corydoras trilineatus):

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 06:32:39 PM »
Similar, but much darker, ie much more of the dark coloured markings.

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 06:56:23 PM »
Puffin, Is is a Julii Cory? I think these are super cute but I believe many of them are misnamed in fish shops so I may not be looking at Julii afterall...

I have the same tank as you and considering a group of panda corys. My concern at the mo is what to put in first. I'm waiting for my tank to cycle but still won't be able to fully stock at the end of the cycle and most of the fish I like want to be with a group of buddies. Also my GH reading is about 8, but my PH is about 8-8.4 so...

Oh and I have discovered, like ColinB, that the thingies that attach the lid do indeed break very easily. My son dropped it on the floor and three of them have snapped! Hoping I can get some spares (out of his pocket money!!)

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 06:59:37 PM »
Similar, but much darker, ie much more of the dark coloured markings.

Was it definitely a Cory? Perhaps a Mosaic Cory (sorry no pic to add but loads should come up if you Google it). Otherwise there are quite a few catfish with leopard type markings and some could perhaps resemble a Cory when small.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »
I would also add that your p@h may look clean but the advice of the staff can be awful. I understand that it is down to the individual store manager how much training the staff get and lots don't give any fish-specific training at all. Just general training in how to make a sale, and how to act knowledgeable even if they haven't a clue.
Mind you, a lot of small independents are as bad.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »
This is the closest I've seen. Came up when I googled mosaic Cory.
Not 100% sure though. Need to go back and get a pic. They were really stunning! I'd say it was a catfish, are all catfish corydoras?
Not yet for me though! From what I read cories need a mature tank.

Loubaa, how is your tank cycling? Are the kids exited? How old is your son? Mine is 5 and I have a three year old girl so luckily, the sideboard we got from the charity shop is nice and high so should keep the tank in view but out of reach.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 07:20:01 PM »
Not all catfish are cories. Plecs are catfish too, as are glass catfish, which you'll find under miscellaneous in the fish profiles.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 08:33:04 PM »
Yeah, there's loads of different catfish but Cory's are a very common and popular type (for good reason, they're great fish!). Catfish are often 'bottom dwellers' but there are varieties which happily swim about in the upper/middle areas of a tank (the Upside-down Catfish is one of my favourite examples). Many can also grow very large - fish-keepers are often caught out by Plecs which are usually a nice compact 2-3 inch in their LFS but then grow large enough to eat their Yorkshire Terrier (OK, I exaggerate a little and a Plec would never eat a Dog anyway - they're far too hairy  ;)).

There's a section on catfish in the fish profiles section Sue has referred to - the Pictus Catfish and Cuckoo Synodontis are two non-Cory's which have leopard like markings and could potentially resemble a Cory when young/small.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »
Could have been this!
Described as a pictus catfish, looks very like the mosaic Cory to me!

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 07:57:11 AM »
Found both kids sitting on the sideboard this morning, so my idea of the tank lid being nice and out of reach up there was sadly flawed!
Oh dear.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 08:41:23 AM »
Oh and I have discovered, like ColinB, that the thingies that attach the lid do indeed break very easily. My son dropped it on the floor and three of them have snapped! Hoping I can get some spares (out of his pocket money!!)

Oh dear! I've only found one place to get spares from.... and that's here. Nearly at the bottom of the page. Not cheap for a couple of plastic clips.

Here's a few things I would do with the Cube40 if I bought one again.

Looking from the back of the tank there are the three filter compartments. The instruction book got the water flow wrong with mine (they could've changed it by now 'cos that was two years ago). The water flow goes in at the top of the left hand chamber and down through the black sponge. Then across into the bottom of the middle chamber and up through the noodles. Then across the top into the right hand chamber with the pump and the heater (and the thermometer in mine).

The glass separater between the middle and the right hand chamber was not sealed at the bottom and I got quite a bit of flow sneaking under there. I've since blocked it, but it would've been easier and more effective to seal it with aquarium silicone before I set it all up. Again, they may have addressed that problem.

I would re-model the black sponge. I would cut the top 10cm off the sponge and push the large piece into the left chamber down to the bottom. I would then cut 4cm off the remaining sponge. I would buy some of the green medium-pored filter foam from the fish shop, and some of the white fine filter floss, and use the black sponge as a template to cut correct sized pieces off them. (The white filter floss is quite thick, but can be stripped through the middle like cutting a sponge cake for the filling. Yum!)

Then I would load these on top of the black sponge that's in the chamber. This way the water flows through 4cm of coarse black sponge, then 4cm of medium green sponge, the 2cm of white filter floss. This will keep all the debris out of the filter compartments and allow the large, lower piece of black sponge to act as a housing for the bacterial bugglies without being clogged by sediment etc.

Part of your weekly maintenance would be then to pull the top three layers of filter and squeeze them in old tank water (and occasionally replace the white floss) and the majority of the black sponge can be left undisturbed.

I would also replace the ceramic noodles with scintered glass ones that I've linked to before.

Hope this helps, and sorry to be long-winded. It's a great tank and I hope, when we've hopefully moved house later this year, to buy the 100litre version that's 60cm long that's only just been released.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 10:41:52 AM »
Thanks Colin. I think I understand the rationale for the filter floss. Will have to look out for that in the shops. But why the green medium sponge?
And the glass media, I did follow your link the other day. These are capable of housing anaerobic bacteria too, right? The ones that break down nitrate? Is that why you prefer them? Could you just add them to the remaining space, ie together with the media provided? There seems to be a fair bit of space.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:39 AM »
Thanks Colin. I think I understand the rationale for the filter floss. Will have to look out for that in the shops. But why the green medium sponge?
And the glass media, I did follow your link the other day. These are capable of housing anaerobic bacteria too, right? The ones that break down nitrate? Is that why you prefer them? Could you just add them to the remaining space, ie together with the media provided? There seems to be a fair bit of space.

The green sponge filters out particles that are small enough to get through the black sponge. The floss filters out the rest. It's mainly because the green sponge is squeezeable and can be re-used for many years and the filter floss can't really be cleaned effectively and has to be replaced when dirty. Using the green means less floss replacement.

Yep, you can add the scintered glass in with the other noodles. That's what I did for six months so the bugglies could migrate and colonise the new stuff. Then I replaced the ceramic with glass over the course of a few months.

Offline Loubaa

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »
Gosh and I thought we'd get fish 'cos they'd be easy! This whole thing is giving my brain a good work out at least.

Puffin, tank cycle as expected I believe - as in nothing much is happening...
kids are 8 (boy) and 5 (girl). They want fish at home too now - and spotted my husband looking at tanks online the other day...  ;)

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 11:56:13 AM »
So I haven't got my tanks yet, coming end of the week. And I know I won't be stocking it with fish for quite a white, have done lots of reading on nitrogen cycle.
But...
What do you think about this for fish in the aqua nano 40?
The community creator on here seems happy, but what are real people's experiences?
I don't want anything too tricky to look after at first. So I chose panda Cory over salt and pepper catfish. I really like the galaxy rasbora but not sure how easy they are to find in the shops!
What about otocinclus? Can they be kept with cories?
I will also probably add snails and or shrimp.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bought a fish tank."

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
7 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 08:57:36 AM
by biffster
10 Replies
Last post March 31, 2016, 07:36:10 PM
by Cod_only_knows
6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2016, 09:31:54 PM
by Andy The Minion
0 Replies
Last post June 12, 2016, 07:40:08 PM
by Sue
42 Replies
Last post July 22, 2019, 07:21:40 PM
by Stripyjoe

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: