Biotopes

Author Topic: Biotopes  (Read 3257 times) 8 replies

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Biotopes
« on: May 02, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Some stunning biotopes here. They make my tank look a bit feeble!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Biotopes
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:36:49 AM »
Great link ColinB!  :yikes:

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:53:40 AM »
It is very interesting, well worth reading Heiko Bleher's comments as he really has travelled the world, discovering new fish and studying their actual biotopes.
Many of these set ups really do look natural, i.e. resembling what you might see if you could look underwater in a stream or pool. This is in contrast to the aquascaped tanks which may look attractive, with their carefully trimmed and colour-coordinated plantings, but are in no way "natural" looking.
Getting a true biotope arrangement is really tricky, finding the correct plants and fish from a precise area isn't easy. Whether it's worthwhile for most people is a different question. I prefer to have my tanks looking natural, not "designed", but non-specific.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 11:58:14 AM »
They do look amazing but not my cup of tea really. I can't imagine many of them in my front room. I'm not bothered if my plants or fish come from the same area. As long as my tanks look pretty and interesting I'm content.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 12:08:44 PM »
"As long as my tanks look pretty and interesting I'm content."
Pretty much what most people think, I guess. After all, how many people would want to plant their garden only with natural wild flowers that come from one very specific site in one part of the world??
But I respect the people that do take the trouble to research and set up biotopes.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 12:13:52 PM »
I respect the people that do take the trouble to research and set up biotopes.

Yah me too. One of the shops I visit always has a themed tank on display, they change it every couple of months.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 12:22:57 PM »
It's very enlightening looking at natural biotopes, and I'm taking an increasing interest in looking at these (and aquascaped tanks and people's variation in how they maintain their tanks generally).

I'll have to admit that I still haven't taken the plunge into 'real' plants yet - I tested draping some of the larger silk plants across the water surface to block out some of the aquarium lighting, and putting on the aquarium lighting with the tank lid open to give it a dimmer effect but the fish just don't seem happy with it. The fish seem content, relaxed (except when mating) and their colours are stunning and very bright, so it looks as though I'll be keeping the aquarium lighting off and the silk plants in situ for the foreseeable future - the only natural aspects being the lack of lighting, the substrate (possibly), the wood/branches and the catappa leaves. I'll probably take "the plunge" into 'real' plants if my interest in them converts into a "tipping point" and I find myself buying some low-maintenance plants or if the situation (ie re the inhabitants) changes suddenly in the future.

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »
fcmf, that what happened with me.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 12:33:57 PM »
I quite enjoy the gardening aspect of aquarium keeping. I finally found a carpeting plant that will grow in my shrimpery, it's called Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis, I can't tell you how long I've been looking for one and I'm very happy with the results. I'll post a piccy when it spreads a bit more.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: