Bettas Are AMAZING

Author Topic: Bettas are AMAZING  (Read 4064 times) 10 replies

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Bettas are AMAZING
« on: January 15, 2015, 01:07:39 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've been hankering after a siamese fighting fish for ages and finally bought one a few days ago. He's royal blue with red and purple highlights when he moves and he's called Frank.

In the last few days I have discovered how much joy these wonderful fish can bring. After a bit of posturing he settled in fine with the endlers and seems to really like his new home. He's got plenty of hiding places and I also put some indian almond leaves in for him, which I'll obviously replace every now and then. Its made the water a bit yellow but I actually don't mind that too much.

I didn't realise exactly how characterful bettas are. I swear he actually recognises me, is this even possible? When I walk by the tank or stop to look he comes right to the front but he doesn't seem to do the same with anybody else, maybe it's just chance but I'd like to think not.  :)

This may sound silly but when I was doing a bit of research into bettas I found a u tube clip of a girl who had trained her betta to do tricks so I thought I'd give it a go. Whoever said fish have a short attention span and can't remember things are VERY wrong.

I feed Frank tiny amounts of food twice a day, one bit at a time and before I open the tank lid I gently tap on the sides twice and each time I present him food I tap twice too. I feed him in the top right corner and he swims over when I tap now and seems to have learned he can lie on the glass thermometer in the tank and be fed from there. A couple of times he's actually jumped out the water a short way to grab the food. I have to say he reminds me of a cat a bit. When I siphon out any dropped food he swims down to see what's going on and chases the little bits of gravel that rise and fall in the siphon. I think he's an amazing fish!!! I love my Frankie boy already, how daft is that?  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Bettas are AMAZING
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 01:59:06 PM »
This is why they are such popular fish  :)

My first was a red combtail (a bit like a crowntail but not such fine divisions). He could see the back door from his tank and whenever my son came back late in the evening after we had gone to bed, the betta would be in that corner flaring at him as he came in.
This betta could tell the difference between me and my son. He flared at my so every time he saw him!

My current betta knows exactly where his food is kept. I have three small pots on the worktop in front of his tank. He gets excited when I reach up for the tubs of food on the shelf above and gets much more excited when I drop food into his pot - yes, he does know which pot has his food in - and when I lift it to put the food in his tank he almost jumps out of the tank.

Just a word of caution - don't take your eyes of him while the siphon tube is in the tank. They are so interested in what you are doing that it is very easy to tear a chunk off their tails. I've done that......

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 02:19:56 PM »
He is a nosy little guy for sure and I'll keep that very much in mind. He's just a plain ole bettas and looks a lot like the one in the piccy.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »
BTW this means my hospital tank is no more...guess I'll need to buy another one  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 02:27:54 PM »
Hmmmm, sounds familiar  :o

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 03:19:00 PM »
He's a stunner!!! And has a really good Betta name too!!!!  :D

Stan the man was just the same came over to see me every time i went to the tank and knew exactly what the syringe i fed him with was for and would jump out of the water to get at it!!! He would always come when i called him and although he hated fingers on the glass and would swim away and hide, I could put my nose up against the glass to talk to him and he would stay put and have a chat!!

I miss him lots!! :'(

Keep a close eye on his fins and tail. I used to take a photo every couple of days and then compare it with the previous one to look for any changes in case he had torn or lost bits.

Enjoy Frank, he sounds great!!

FC76

Offline jesnon

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
Congrats on your new fish! Bettas are great little fish. My Betta Carra is lovely, he's very lazy though! When I feed my fish I have to take off then lid so he knows what's coming. I often lift the lid to check he's OK since a lot of the time he likes resting on top of his cave or plants and I panic because of my previous bettas health... But I think Carra is just a bit lazy!!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 07:00:46 PM »
He gave me a heart attack last night!!

I cover the front of the tanks up after 8pm as that's lights out and it stops fish getting alarmed by peeps walking past. I took a sneaky peek under the cover of Frank's tank just before I went to bed and saw him curled up nose to tail under a pile of almond leaf pieces on the bottom!!!  :yikes:

I shouted "Dan!!! I think Franks dead!!!" He came legging it into the kitchen, looked and said "awww no not Frank" but then suggested giving him a gentle prod and so I did and Frank  :fishy1:

I mean what sort of fish sleeps like that?  :rotfl:

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 07:06:31 PM »
Sure Franks not a "cat" or "dog" fish? :rotfl:

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 07:10:56 PM »
Sounds about right for a betta. Not only do they like sleeping in odd places but I'll swear they deliberately do things to make us panic.

My current one  sleeps in a tangle of hornwort at the moment but for a year after I got him he slept on the bottom of the tank; a previous one slept on top of the filter; another slept vertically in the narrow gap between the heater and filter; one slept on top of a sucker holding the heater in place (between the heater and the glass) .........

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 08:42:09 PM »
He made me laugh tonight, I was crumbling flakes into the tank for the endlers and he was trying to jump out the water to reach my fingers. I took pity on him and put a small bloodworm on the end of my finger and held it above the water and he jumped up and grabbed it  :)

I'm so much in love with this fish. I spend many a happy moment nose to nose with him and I'm teaching him follow the finger now.

Next time my neice and nephew come to visit they'll be gobsmacked!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Bettas are AMAZING"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
My bettas

Started by Sue « 1 2 » Gallery Showcase

20 Replies
Last post November 23, 2019, 11:56:41 AM
by Littlefish
19 Replies
Last post November 11, 2014, 02:12:47 PM
by Diz1
3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 11:36:37 AM
by Richard W
13 Replies
Last post March 17, 2016, 10:37:21 PM
by Littlefish
1 Replies
Last post November 07, 2016, 06:32:02 PM
by Sue
10 Replies
Last post April 26, 2017, 08:27:58 PM
by fish-friends
9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2021, 06:43:02 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: