ANY OLD TIME FISHKEEPERS ON THE FORUM?

Author Topic: ANY OLD TIME FISHKEEPERS ON THE FORUM?  (Read 5365 times) 19 replies

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
ANY OLD TIME FISHKEEPERS ON THE FORUM?
« on: November 09, 2014, 03:01:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Is there any old :isay: time fishkeepers on the forum like does
any one remember when heaters used to be a two part
affair and there was no such thing as fluorescent tubes
and the only thing you had to light the tank was strip lights
normal house hold light bulb there was no external filters or
internal power filter all you had was a air powered box filter
or a air powered HOB filter air pumps come in all shapes and
sizes but most were disc style pumps oh yes and most tanks
had a steel frame that the glass was held in by putty and we didnt
have any of the modern chemicals and treatments they have now all
we had was salt methylene blue malachite green potassium permanganate
and a new thing at the time that was called acraflavin . guppies used to be
a lot bigger at about three inches most  :fishy1: seem to have shrunk over the years
or is it just me becoming an old gray haired fart  :rotfl: 

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: ANY OLD TIME FISHKEEPERS ON THE FORUM
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 03:48:57 PM »
I've only had fish for 18 years so I don't really count as old time - I came into the hobby after all-in-one heaters and internal & external filters had been introduced. It was even after UG filters had fallen out of favour  ;D

But I did find an old 'how to repair....' book with a page on aquariums when we were sorting out my mother's house ready for her to move a few years ago that talked about those heaters. It talked about replacing diaphragms in air pumps, resealing the putty and it had a cut-through diagram of a filter - a box containing carbon with a bit of filter wool on top.
Fishkeeping sounds like a lot of work back then, but I also read that water changes were done only once very few months, so maybe not has hard as all that  ;D

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »
 :yikes: i might hear you say yes about once a month water changes
mind you i know people some of them only do a water change every
six months we do 30% very few days now i still use some of the old
treatments and i wish i could get hold of them heater oh and we had things
called slickstats which you could run 6 heaters of one thermostat they were
amazing 

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »
You must be really really old if you come from a time before fluorescent tubes. They were introduced in the 1930's. My uncle used them in the steel-framed tanks he used from when I was wearing short trousers, early 1960's) until he died in the late 1990's. Along with air-powered filtration.

I couldn't give you too many details because although I was interested in the fish, I wasn't really that bothered about the process of fish-keeping.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 10:24:40 PM »
ah but no in fish keeping due to them not being water proof mid
to late 70s water proof ones made fish tanks first came about
i used to have strip lights and house hold bulbs strip lights looked
like florescent tubes but they were smaller and not as bright and also
very fragile i dont think i got a power filter till the end of the 70s to be honest
steel framed tanks were the norm but hell they were strong i remember seeing
a 5x2x2 steel framed tank made out of inch and a half angle iron with quarter inch plate glass
it was amazing to see it was set up as a black water amazon tank its funny how things seemed
to be much bigger when you were younger . i got in to fishkeeping for a few reason one was
a mate of mine his grandad used to keep them and the other was to teach me responsibility
got my first tank around 1970>>>71 or there about and i didnt get it all at once like they expect
to these days i got it one piece at a time till i had a full set up well worth the wait  :fishy1:

Offline Richard W

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 06:37:17 AM »
I had my first tank when I was at school, late 1960s, given to me by a friend of my father's when he upgraded to a bigger one. I think it was 60 cms, with a solid metal frame. Started with no filter at all, but later added an under gravel and an air stone at which point I was most surprised to see that fish did not always hang around the surface for choice, but would actually use the whole tank when it was aerated and circulated.

Light was a single 60 watt tungsten bulb. Water would condense on the metal hood and if you lifted it up too quickly the water would splash onto the bulb which would explode. Heater was at one end of the tank and the thermostat at the other.

Fish were an odd mixture, all ones and twos. I do remember the angelfish. Once I saw a female guppy give birth to a ball of young which the angelfish sucked in all in one go, life expectancy of the guppy fry 1 second. Strangely fascinating at that age.

Strangely, I hardly ever had a fish die, in spite of overstocking and no regular water changes. I partly put this down to temperature, the thermostat was set to 68 - 70oF and I'm still convinced that most tropical fish live longer and healthier lives at lower temperatures than are generally recommended these days. There are good physiological reasons for this.

Two friends also had tanks and we bought our fish from a chap who used to breed and sell them from his house in a village about 10 miles away. None of our parents had cars and so we used to ride our bikes down, buy a fish or two and pedal home as fast as we could with the fish in the saddle bag. In winter, they were pretty chilled by the time we were home, but they always pulled through and recovered remarkably quickly.

We were avid readers at that age (I still am) and I would often get books from the library and could identify most fish pretty well. I still prefer books to web sites, at least one knows that the author must have some knowledge and experience to get a book published. We also belonged to the local aquarists society and would go to talks and slideshows in the evening.

All good things come to an end. One day when I came home at the end of a university term the tank was gone. My parents were tired of looking after it and had given it to a younger cousin. It was 40 years before I took up fishkeeping again .................

Still, fish were part of a general enthusiasm for anything living which eventually led me to a degree in zoology. I still find fish and other living things far more interesting and attractive than any human "art".

Offline Sue

Re: ANY OLD TIME FISHKEEPERS ON THE FORUM?
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »
Am I the only person who didn't choose to get into fishkeeping? My sons turned up from the fair in October '96 with four goldfish (only three survived the first night in my mixing bowl) which promptly became my responsibility. I turned to books as we didn't have an internet connection back then - though the books in the library were well out of date in their advice. I couldn't believe how fast those fish grew. I gave them away to someone with a pond next summer, bought a heater and got tropical fish.

Although I did study zoology in my first year at university (we studied three subjects in the first year, I did chemistry, biochemistry and zoology) my degree is in chemistry and find that aspect of fishkeeping more interesting.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 10:43:38 AM »
I also did three subjects in my first year including chemistry, but went the other way. Mind you, in a fairly short career as a teacher, I did find chemistry much more interesting to teach than biology. This was particularly true in my years in Africa where the students had never seen a real experiment before I arrived. They would actually applaud when a particularly dramatic demonstration worked!

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »
You didn't go to Cardiff did you? Studying three subjects in year 1 was quite rare.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 11:21:24 AM »
No, nearer to where you are now, at Durham. I believe there is no longer separate zoology and botany available, everything is "biological sciences", with emphasis on the molecular. That's where the money is.

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 11:35:34 AM »
Both my sons had interviews at Durham so I've seen the university - well, the chemistry dept - twice. The set up in 1998 and 2000 was 6 modules in year one, 5 chemistry and one non-subject module.

Back in the early 1970s the biology departments at Cardiff were re-organising. They introduced the new subject of environmental studies and created a general honours degree where you could mix and match botany, zoology and env.studs in the second and third years. The fore-runner of 'biological sciences'.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 02:25:55 PM »
I'm a Durham alumna, what college did you go to?

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 02:52:17 PM »
I was what is known as a Castle man, i.e. University College, but I spent most of my time in Hatfield, where I had more friends. I've never been back since I graduated, a long, long time ago. .......................

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 02:54:39 PM »
i went to the university of hard knocks  :rotfl:

Offline jesnon

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 04:01:33 PM »
I was what is known as a Castle man, i.e. University College, but I spent most of my time in Hatfield, where I had more friends. I've never been back since I graduated, a long, long time ago. .......................

Ooh very posh! Hehe.  I went to Trevs, much less sophisticated  :rotfl: I've only been back once for an alumni reunion, but I do love Durham. Whilst I was there I was one of those pesky students that ring asking for donations to the uni , but I only rang other Trevelyanites!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 04:12:51 PM »
huh i only went to London polytechnic  ::)

Offline Sue

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »
Durham makes Cardiff seem down market  :-\

Though my husband did a post doc at Cambridge. Am I allowed to bask in reflected glory?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
Having parents who both left school at 14 and growing up in a council house I had no idea of perceived  differences between universities. I chose Durham because it seemed to be the best place where I could get housed and fed for all three years, which appealed to me more than living in some rented house and doing my own cooking  :). I ended up in my college by chance not choice and felt quite out of place with all the ex public school types, most of whom were on minimum grants (£50 a year) while I was on a full grant.

Mind you perceptions of universities have changed greatly. Bath was new at that time and considered a bit of a joke, a friend of mine got in with only a D and E for A levels, but today I understand that it is relatively well regarded.

Offline Sue

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 04:57:19 PM »
I too had no idea of universities. I did an odd combination of A levels so I didn't have very much choice. I spent three years in digs with the same family, it was like being at home  ;D It makes a difference when your landlady took in students not to make money but so their only child wouldn't grow up like an only child. She had an assortment of big sisters from the age of 5. We still send each other Christmas cards.

For my sons, the approach was completely different as they had two parents who had been to university. Both went to York to read chemistry. The elder one dropped out during his second year but the younger got a first and has just submitted his PhD thesis.

Offline jesnon

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 08:16:34 PM »
Everyone has such interesting stories! I can imagine Castle being a bit of a shock as a non-chosen college, though I'm surprised you made most of your friends in Hatfield as that has a similar reputation of mainly private school kids!

My brother and I were the first in my family to go to Uni - my brother stayed at home in Leicester but I wanted to try further afield. I'd chosen Durham as my 5th Uni to apply to and had dismissed it generally as being too far away... but I went to an open day there with my mum, and then an overnight post-offer open day and soon decided it was the place for me! It was just soooo friendly and lovely. I was the complete opposite of you Richard - I wanted to be self-catered so applied to the new college there Josephine Butler. In the end I didn't quite make my grades but my department still let me in, the college on the other hand said no - I ended up going in to a college 'pool' and ended up in Trevs and catered! But I absolutely loved my time there, I moved out in my second and third years though for a bit more choice and independence (the food in Trevs was really rather terrible!).

Three of my closest friends from school went to Cambridge though - one of whom has just graduated from the Bar. A friend from Durham has just started her PhD in Oxford. Compared to them I feel much less posh hehe.

Still even having a degree from a top Uni hasn't meant much for me at the minute... the job market being what it is and my chosen field being apparently impossible to break into!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "ANY OLD TIME FISHKEEPERS ON THE FORUM?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post May 26, 2013, 07:07:36 PM
by skybluejay
1 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 08:11:38 PM
by Etienne
2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 03:26:42 PM
by graygang
2 Replies
Last post October 17, 2014, 10:00:30 PM
by Gav
20 Replies
Last post November 05, 2014, 03:10:40 PM
by Gav
3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2016, 06:58:35 PM
by fcmf
2 Replies
Last post January 25, 2021, 09:41:17 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: