Cut Finger

Author Topic: Cut finger  (Read 9129 times) 27 replies

Offline Anna Robinson

• Fishy Contributor
Re: Cut finger
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0

The only thing to with fish tanks I seem to react to is frozen bloodworm. I get itchy fingers if I touch the cubes. It's not because they are frozen as someone once suggested as I have no problems with frozen daphnia and brine shrimp.
You may already be aware of this, Sue, but this is a fairly well-known allergy. Brief summary here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1567285 It would be best for you not to handle bloodworm, frozen or dried, if you get a reaction.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2013, 12:40:26 PM »
Thanks for the link Anna. I had a discussion on another forum with someone who said there was no such thing as allergy to blood worm, I was just reacting to touching something cold even though I don't react to frozen cubes of anything else. I had read something once about such an allergy but couldn't remember where - now I have more than just a vague reference but an actual link!

I still use blood worm but I hold it with tweezers to cut a section off

Offline Flatdog

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 06:51:48 AM »
A bit late but here's what I do with cuts.
Clean it and then close the cut with "superglue" ( Cyanoacrylate ). It stops the bleeding and the cut heals in less than half the time. You could also use a surgical glove and close the open end with an elastic band. Hope this helps.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Japonica Shrimp (10) - Cherry Barb (6) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Cardinal Tetra (6) - Lemon Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 08:34:18 AM »
That's an interesting idea, Flatdog! Would the glue seal a cut tight enough to stop bacteria getting through? I know cyanoacrylate glue is fish-safe as you can use it to make tank decor with.
One problem I have is that cuts etc bleed a lot and for a long time (I'm on daily aspirin to prevent blood clots, and it does stop blood clotting!) and I'd also be worried if blood got in a tank.

Offline Flatdog

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 03:18:19 PM »
Not too sure about the bacteria but I do know from experiance that it does stop the bleeding completely, even cuts that needed stitches, so I think it should stop the bugs.

Japonica Shrimp (10) - Cherry Barb (6) - Bristlenose Plec (1) - Black Neon Tetra (5) - Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2) - Cardinal Tetra (6) - Lemon Tetra (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chester1o66

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 08:15:56 PM »
Ive kept fish for 8 years now - i'm always cutting my hands on something or another, and ive never contracted anything from the fish tanks. I swim in the sea in Hastings.....maybe im immune!!

Offline Resa

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2013, 02:38:12 AM »
Hi Sue,
Thinking about your cut finger....I was wondering if you could go online and get such a beast as a full arm rubber glove like the vets use when exploring the rear end of a cow!  Mind you, you might want to be careful what you put in to the search engine ;D!  I'm glad you have mentioned about cuts and fish water as I am always taking lumps out of my hands, just today I have managed to slice 1/2" out of my finger on a paint can and I already have various cuts to my other hand...they are extremely sore.  Like you, I have a problem with my blood and have to take anticoagulants after having a pulmonary embolism last year closely followed by a bout of pneumonia.  Fortunately, because I live in France I was taken care of very well.  I had 5 days in intensive care followed by 3 days on a normal ward.  I say normal, but it differed from the UK experiences I have had by virtue of no wards are bigger than twin rooms, (I had a single) all results, blood, x-rays, cat scans etc are back the same day, sometimes within the hour.  Oh, and of course, you get wine with your meal!  Anyway, I shall be sure to be careful when dealing with water changes when I have fish.
Hope your finger is feeling better today.

P.S. That's a good tip from Flatdog, the hospitals use a superglue!  Though actually, I prefer ColinB's suggestions!!!

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Sue

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2013, 11:48:44 AM »
I cut another finger a week and a half ago, on water change day yet again  :-[ This time it was quite deep, right in the joint at the top of my little finger (trying to break a thread that wouldn't). 8 days it took to heal over. I did try Flatdog's glue idea but it peeled off the next day.

Last year when I had the fish tb scare I bought some pond gloves. They cover the whole of my arm. Perfect, I thought, till I took them out of the pack. There is no way I would put something that smelled that bad into my fish tanks. Even now a year later the greenhouse (ie glass shed) still stinks.

I do have medical problems but nothing like you had Resa. I just have type 2 diabetes, still diet contolled 13 years after diagnosis, which is why I have to take aspirin (I don't take any medication for the diabetes itself, but I do have to take medication to prevent side effects like heart attacks and strokes). But I am also supposed to take care not to let cuts etc get infected. This is why I get paranoid about putting cuts into tank water.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: