"Hands Off My Hobby"

Author Topic: "Hands off my hobby"  (Read 3912 times) 5 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
"Hands off my hobby"
« on: March 20, 2014, 08:43:04 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I don't know how many of you are aware of something potentially going through EU legislation which if it goes ahead could be applied to our hobby making it illegal to buy tropical fish.
It is thought by most people that this will never make it to the statute books as it includes a wide variety of animals and would at a stroke destroy a huge industry. But all fishkeepers (and reptile, bird etc keepers) need to be aware of it.

http://www.ornamentalfish.org/hands-off-my-hobby

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
Re: "Hands off my hobby"
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »
Wow, that's something of a shocker  :yikes:

I could perhaps understand the establishment of more controls on wild-caught ornamental fish and requirement for clear supply lines (I've often wondered how thorough existing controls are) but I've had a quick look at the link and it appears the motion is more related to the 'biological invasion' of non-native species at the destination rather than anything to do with catching methods at the source?

If this is the case, could it be that some species would not be covered due to the fact that they are unlikely to survive naturally at their destination? This is probably an overly simplistic view but I doubt that many true tropical species would be likely to survive in UK waterways. I know the U.S, for example, has a big problem with a non-native river fish (Asian Carp?) which was I believe was originally introduced as an ornamental fish and then obviously released into natural waterways by some unscrupulous fish keepers (or perhaps even flooding).

Offline Sue

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »
Unfortunately, if a creature could survive outside in one EU country, say Spain or Greece, it would be banned here too. It has already happened with the apple snail, one species of which has been found in the environment in Spain. One species of one snail in one country has resulted in the import of all snails of the same genus (not species!) being banned in every EU country. There was talk of imports of plants from areas where apple snails are endemic (eg far east) also being banned, but some sense prevailed here - on condition that the plants are treated to kill any apple snails or eggs on them,

Offline JimmyL

• Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 03:38:42 PM »
This has happened to a large degree in Australia already. Generally you are not allowed to own any foreign snails, apart from the apple snail. No foreign lizards, foreign turtles, foreign snakes, nor are you allowed to import any water plant or seeds into Australia without potentially facing fines, potential jail time and restrictions on owning aquariums in the future if you don't own a licence to import. It is draconian. Quite a few ornamental fish are being banned. Some cichlids, especially Convict cichlids, some gobies and some livebearers.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Congo Tetra (8) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (13) - Cherry Barb (6) - Black Phantom Tetra (10) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Glass Bloodfin (10) - Penguin Tetra (10) - Bloodfin Tetra (10) - Ember Tetra (15) - Serpae Tetra (10) - Black Neon Tetra (10) - Bleeding Heart Tetra (10) - Head & Tail Light Tetra (10) - Golden Pencilfish (10) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Congo Tetra (10) - Glowlight Tetra (10) - Blue Tetra (10) - Colombian Red Fin (10) - Flame Tetra (10) - Lemon Tetra (10) - Rummy Nose Tetra (10) - Emperor Tetra (10) - Marbled Hatchetfish (10) - Buenos Aires Tetra (10) - Diamond Tetra (10) - Neon Tetra (10) - Rosy Tetra (10) - Red Phantom Tetra (10) - Red Eye Tetra (10) - Silver Tip Tetra (10) - Silver Hatchetfish (10) - Congo Tetra (20) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (20) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 05:11:41 PM »
From my understanding, Australia has been tight on imports for quite some time. On various fish forums, Aussies frequently complain that they can't get fish available in the UK and USA.

I don't know how much the climate varies in Australia from one end to the other, but in the EU the climate varies considerably. Compare Finland and Greece. But banning creatures on the grounds that can survive in the wild completely ignores this disparity in climate. If it can survive in one country, it is banned in all of them. The UK already has tight control of the sales of true cold water fish (as opposed to temperate fish like white clouds). We can only buy goldfish and koi, and certain other species from specially licensed dealers.

The USA has it right. They can ban a creature on some states but allow it in others.

Mind you, a canal in St Helens, Lancashire used to have tropical fish living in it. The canal was known as 'the hotties' and was where the hot water effluent from the glass works was emptied through spray nozzles. I was told that someone put their tropicals into the canal and they thrived. Pilkingtons closed that factory a long time ago now, the canal site has been built on (Tesco is there now for anyone living there). I was born and brought up in St Helens and my father worked at that factory ;)

Offline ColinB

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 09:16:15 AM »
On the one hand I see their point. When irresponsible people release non-native species into an ecosystem then havoc can ensue. Mink, crayfish, cane-toads, rabbits, frogbit...... the list goes on and on.

On the other hand, if it's banned it will just go underground. The aquarium at London Zoo has a beautiful coral selection..... all confiscated at customs. How many time have I read about someone trying to smuggle species like chameleons in, only to have them discovered all dead.

On the third hand (?), perhaps banning their import will be a good thing and it will encorage local breeders to raise fish and it will a mucher better all round life for the fish. I don't expect the far-east fish farms are a model of fish care and consideration, let alone the transport stress of getting them here.

On the fourth hand... when the export of Cardinal Tetras was stopped for a while, the fish catchers started cutting down the rain forest because they had families to feed. Which is preferable?

On the fifth hand... our hobby is responsible for some terrible destruction. I hate to think how the wild Clown Fish population suffered because of all the kids wanting their own 'Nemo', and then how the fish suffered at the hands of their owners. Oto's caught by cyaniding the river????

On the sixth hand... when I hear some of the conversations in my LFS from customers buying a totally unsuitable mix of fish that will be stressed and bullied (if not eaten) in a tank together then I sometimes wonder if the hobby should be banned.

On the seventh hand... if we carry on trashing the planet at this rate then by 2050 the oceans will have acidified enough for copapods to have trouble forming their shells. They're a basic foundation of the oceanic food chain.
There's crippling drought in sub-saharan Africa, interior China, Eastern Australia, California etc and the EU is tinkering around at the edges trying to ban an import of tropical fish. Trying to look busy while averting their eyes.

It reminds me of a  Mitchell & Webb sketch....
"The planet's dying, what shall we do?"
"Um. If we put our recycling into different coloured boxes then that'll work..... won't it?"

These are just a few thoughts from a person with seven hands who is suffering from the complexity of the modern world, where everything is interlinked yet we can really only address one problem at a time.... so, hey, let's do the easiest things first - like banning fish imports rather than cutting carbon emissions. *sigh*

Sorry. :-[

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to ""Hands off my hobby""

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:51:23 AM
by ColinB
15 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 06:07:58 PM
by brian c
13 Replies
Last post January 08, 2016, 12:15:23 AM
by Barzers
4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2015, 11:03:44 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 09:27:04 PM
by fcmf
12 Replies
Last post March 26, 2016, 09:27:25 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 08:55:02 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: