Zebra Snails

Author Topic: Zebra Snails  (Read 6052 times) 12 replies

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
Zebra Snails
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:09:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Have been recommended to get Zebra snails for the algae in the tank, but wonder if anyone can give me the gen on whether they are a good buy or not and the fors and against please.   I don't want to get over run with snails as I have been trying to rid the tank of the little ones that come in on the plants.   

Offline ColinB

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Zebra Snails
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 03:18:00 PM »
If you mean Zebra Nerite Snails, then I have 4 and they're real algae munchers - the filter is now gleaming whereas it used to be covered in a green carpet. They won't breed, but they will lay eggs that won't hatch. You will need to feed them after they've run out of algae.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 04:33:59 PM »
Thanks Colin, that's very helpful.   May have to invest in some then.   Lots of areas that I cant get at to clean so that would be good.   I was worried about the breeding, but that sounds ok.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 05:08:08 PM »
Provided you don't have anything that would pick on small snails (loaches, assassin snails) there are also smaller nerites than zebras which have the advantage they can climb over plants that a zebra would be too heavy for. Some have horns like this one some are plain brown. I've got a black and yellow hornless Clithon nerite in my betta's tank.

If you local shops don't sell nerites, they travel very well in the post. If your shops do sell them make sure they sell you one that is alive and not lying on its back on the bottom of the tank.

Acclimate them like fish.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 05:46:21 PM »

Gone a bit American Sue?? ;D

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 05:49:46 PM »
I have the horned nerite snails and they are certainly good little munchers and mine have never tried to escape either which i'm pleased to read means they are happy!!!

The fish shop told me they didn't have any when i went in to buy them and i then found some in their cold water section and when i asked if i could have some they said no because they were cold water snails!!! ::)

I told them to stop being ridiculous and that i could acclimatise them to tropical water, which i did and they are doing fine. :)

fc

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 06:50:19 PM »

Gone a bit American Sue?? ;D
In fishkeeping, it's usually acclimate. Probably because it is American like the fact that gallons usually refers to American galls  :)

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 10:53:23 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.   I looked up the horned snail Sue, and its interesting, I will see if MA has some, may get  some of each as I have two tanks.   Do they clean up the hair type algae as well.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.   I looked up the horned snail Sue, and its interesting, I will see if MA has some, may get  some of each as I have two tanks.   Do they clean up the hair type algae as well.

Hair algae is always a problem - Snails do a great job of removing some types of algae (and I think snails are a good addition to many community tanks as they add extra diversity and interest) but they're unlikely to tackle hair algae in any meaningful way. Your best bet is that they scrape some off as they're moving along. It can often be removed with a bit of elbow grease but it's worth thinking about what is causing the algae to grow and try to stop the cause.

An algae removal 'medication' may also help but it's better to avoid adding any chemicals to your tank if there is no urgent need to do so.

In fishkeeping, it's usually acclimate. Probably because it is American like the fact that gallons usually refers to American galls  :)

Litres all the way for me (US or UK)! And you can't go wrong with a good acclimatisation, especially with an 's'  ;)

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 06:47:24 AM »
Do they CLEAN up the hair type algae as well.
my siamese flying foxes did a awsome job of removeing all my hair algae but there a reasonable sized fish so you would have to check suitablity if you wanted some

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 09:36:41 AM »
Useful information dbaggie, thanks.   I have two tanks, both treated the same, but one has this hair algae in it, and I wondered if it could have been brought in on some plants or something.   I only feed once a day, and a lot less than I did to start with.  I can take out the ornaments and scrub it off, but difficult to do it with the plants.   I did buy some medication, but haven't used it yet, very hesitant to do so for some reason.

Thank you Chris.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »
Which alga do you mean by hair algae, the short fuzzy one or the very long stringy one? If it's the stringy type it is easy to remove by winding it round your finger and pulling gently till it comes out. The downside it that it comes back so you have to keep on doing that.

I used to have a lot of the stringy one in all my tanks but it has vanished recently. I have no idea why   ???

Offline Cinders

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
Yes Sue, it is the long stringy one.   I have a small stick that I use and wind it round that it doesn't seem to disturb the fish so much.   Its just a nuisance really, and not out of hand .

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Zebra Snails"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post November 28, 2012, 07:11:22 PM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 08:39:45 PM
by sideing
4 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 01:00:38 PM
by dino
3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2015, 11:36:37 AM
by Richard W
27 Replies
Last post May 26, 2016, 10:08:22 AM
by Fiona
8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2016, 12:08:18 AM
by Mascol
11 Replies
Last post July 31, 2020, 04:48:27 PM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: