Would A Bigger Shoal Make Cardinals Less Shy?

Author Topic: Would a bigger shoal make cardinals less shy?  (Read 22089 times) 3 replies

Offline Etienne

• Fishy Member
Would a bigger shoal make cardinals less shy?
« on: July 31, 2013, 06:41:11 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

I have 6 harlequins, 6 cardinals tetras and 1 DG in a 60L tank.

The centre piece is the shoal of harlequins, they are always active, swim about and occupy the middle/top of the tank. The DG minds his own business swimming at the top most of the time.

The tetras are always split in 2 or 3 small groups near the bottom and only seem to be getting together at feeding time.

Here is the question: are they just trying to stay out of the harlequins way or the shoal is too small for them to feel confident?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Gourami (2) - Neon Tetra (6) - Panda Cory (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Cardinal Tetra (3) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (1) - Platy (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Would a bigger shoal make cardinals less shy?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 08:48:30 AM »
Are you asking if more cardinals would make them swim as a group, or if more of them would make them swim in all parts of the tank?

It is possible that more of them would make the cardinals swim all over. I have noticed that my related green neon tetras (Paracheirodon simulans) tend to keep to the back of the tank - except when they can't see me and then they swim all over. If I sit in the armchair and keep very still, they behave differently from when I stand in front of the tank. Do you watch your fish from close to the tank or from a distance? In other words, are your cardinals doing the same as my green neons?  It could just be in the nature of Paracheirodons to hide if they see something large moving near them, in which case upping the numbers won't help. But you could try an extra two or three and see what happens. No more than that or you'll have too many fish.

But adding more won't make them swim as a group, if that's what you meant. Schooling (ie swimming as a tight group) is defensive behaviour and most shoaling fish only school when threatened. Some shoaling fish do school more than others, but cardinals are not among them.

Offline Etienne

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 06:54:20 PM »
Hi Sue,

I was asking both questions at once: a shoal that would go up in the tank. I will look at the fish sitting quietly see if there is any change of behaviour.

I won't add any tetra as my tank is actually well balanced in terms of layers. If the tetra move up, the bottom will look bare. Could be also that with the harlequins running the middle of the tank they found a natural place at the bottom since I don't have any bottom feeder.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Dwarf Gourami (2) - Neon Tetra (6) - Panda Cory (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Cardinal Tetra (3) - Harlequin Rasbora (6) - Rummy Nose Tetra (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (1) - Platy (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 07:27:35 PM »
It might well be Paracheirodons. Even when I'm watching from the chair, my green neons may come to the front but they are still in the bottom half of the tank. If you are happy with your fish layers I would leave them be.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Would a bigger shoal make cardinals less shy?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
15 Replies
Last post May 20, 2014, 09:38:47 AM
by louking13
2 Replies
Last post November 16, 2014, 09:12:44 PM
by biffster
15 Replies
Last post May 25, 2015, 04:46:28 PM
by Diz1
3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 11:05:18 PM
by fdm
3 Replies
Last post November 29, 2015, 11:09:10 PM
by fcmf
8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2016, 01:53:42 PM
by Extreme_One
7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2023, 05:38:12 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: