Wondering About A New Fishy Direction?

Author Topic: Wondering about a new fishy direction?  (Read 14789 times) 66 replies

Offline jesnon

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Wondering about a new fishy direction?
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 11:14:40 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've got a small shrimp tank project on the go at the minute but I'm fairly sure a Betta tank will be next on the horizon - they're great looking fish.

Ooh I wish I'd had better look with shrimp they are so fun to watch! But yes I'm very happy with my new purchase!

Jesnon, your new Betta is beautiful! I hope I can find one as nice when I'm ready to get mine.
You must keep us updated on his progress. Are you going to put anything else in there with him? I know some people do, but I think I'm just going to have one nerite snail in with mine (if he tolerates it). Anyway, with something so handsome as the centre piece, you don't really need anything else anyway!

I'm sure you will! I still feel guilty about our Mr Blue fish I'm sure he will be homed soon enough. He seems to be settling in well to the tank and likes exploring the cave, I was more than a little excited the first time he swam through it ha. He's in the tank with my last two remaining fish, you can see them in one of the photos: one endler and one fish I was given by mistake when I got some shrimp and became too attached to take back! I would love to add some more endlers as I do love them but I think my tank is too small really to risk anyone not getting along.  Mr Betta (temporary name!) Is getting on great with my other two fish they just seem to be ignoring each other and going about their business but adding fish after him might be an error!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 03:00:41 PM »
He's a lovely fish  ;D

Mine likes hornwort, which I see you have. He rests in it with the tips of his fins touching a leaf. At first glance he looks to be floating motionless, you can only see he's actually in contact with the plant when you look closely  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 04:15:41 PM »
He's a lovely fish  ;D

Mine likes hornwort, which I see you have. He rests in it with the tips of his fins touching a leaf. At first glance he looks to be floating motionless, you can only see he's actually in contact with the plant when you look closely  ;D
Ha I'll have to see if he picks up this habit too! I'm still working on a name for the poor guy!

Endler's Livebearer (8) - Panda Cory (4) - Cherry Barb (3) - Galaxy Rasbora (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline ColinB

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2014, 04:39:10 PM »
Good lookin' fish, Jesnon. "Cute freckled nose" eh? I'm getting worried! :))

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -

Offline jesnon

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2014, 09:05:13 PM »
Good lookin' fish, Jesnon. "Cute freckled nose" eh? I'm getting worried! :))

See!!  :))

Offline Resa

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2014, 01:32:26 AM »
Ah Jesnon....he's lovely. They really are beautiful fish, aren't they? They interact so well too...he'll be looking to say hello to you whenever you're near the tank in no time. :fishy1:

Happy Betta-ring :)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2014, 08:25:24 AM »
Hey jesnon,

Mr Betta is a handsome chap!!!!!

Keep a really close eye on his tail and fins as although the other fish appear to be ignoring him they might be tempted to have a nip!!!  I put some minnows in with my boy and thought everything was going smoothly until I saw the little blighters creep up behind him and take a bite!!! His tail and fins are mostly healed now and he is happiest on his own. I take regular photos of him so i can compare his fins and tail and look for any changes.

I feed my lad small flies as well as bloodworm and flakes. I'm a bit of a one for buying too much fruit and having it slowly go overripe and then ending up with fruit flies buzzing about. My lad absolutely loves these and will now feed from my finger.

You can see pics of Stanley (aka Mr Bubbles) in my thread 'bettas injured fin' (or someting like that!!!!!)

FC76

Offline jesnon

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »
Ah Jesnon....he's lovely. They really are beautiful fish, aren't they? They interact so well too...he'll be looking to say hello to you whenever you're near the tank in no time. :fishy1:

Happy Betta-ring :)

They really are lovely fish! And shocking news my partner is actually quite happy with Mr Betta too! He's still complaining we can only have the one, but I think he's pleased we have a slightly bigger fish now!

Hey jesnon,

Mr Betta is a handsome chap!!!!!

Keep a really close eye on his tail and fins as although the other fish appear to be ignoring him they might be tempted to have a nip!!!  I put some minnows in with my boy and thought everything was going smoothly until I saw the little blighters creep up behind him and take a bite!!! His tail and fins are mostly healed now and he is happiest on his own. I take regular photos of him so i can compare his fins and tail and look for any changes.

I feed my lad small flies as well as bloodworm and flakes. I'm a bit of a one for buying too much fruit and having it slowly go overripe and then ending up with fruit flies buzzing about. My lad absolutely loves these and will now feed from my finger.

You can see pics of Stanley (aka Mr Bubbles) in my thread 'bettas injured fin' (or someting like that!!!!!)

FC76

I'll definitely keep my eye on his fins and interactions with Bow and Oz. So far he seems the right line between ignoring them and swimming at them to scare them off if they get on his nerves! Time will soon tell!

Stanley is beautiful, gorgeous coloured chap!

Offline Sue

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2014, 03:14:06 PM »
My betta is the only one my husband likes. I've even caught him talking to mine over the years. What is it with non-fish-loving men and bettas  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2014, 01:39:51 PM »
My betta is the only one my husband likes. I've even caught him talking to mine over the years. What is it with non-fish-loving men and bettas  ;D

They definitely have a charm for even the non-fish lovers! I talk to Mr Betta every day haha.

Well I thought I would update a little about his progress! Everyone seems to be getting on OK, which is great news. I was a little bit worried he would struggle as he's a bit of a slow coach with eating his dinner, whilst my other two fish know exactly that when I take the top off the tank their dinner is coming and to get ready! However he seems to be getting the hang of it now and moves to the front when I approach the tank. He's still a take your time eater but I think he's getting his fair share!

Here are a few photos of him:

I'm still yet to get a good photo!

I think I'm going to call him Flash but I'm still not 100%... I feel like he needs the name of a dragon or something fancy like that!

Offline Sue

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2014, 02:35:24 PM »
Whatever you decide to call him, he's very pretty  :)

I find they soon get to know it's food time because I put the ice cream tub with the pots of fish food in front of my betta's tank to measure it out. He gets excited when he sees it, and when he sees food going into the plastic egg cup I use for his food he almost climbs out of the tank to get to it  ;D

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2014, 10:14:59 PM »
I think I'm going to call him Flash but I'm still not 100%... I feel like he needs the name of a dragon or something fancy like that!

Ah, a challenge! How about Falkor (Film - Neverending Story), Hydra (Greek mythical beast) or Paarthurnax (Video game - Elder Scrolls IV)??  ;D

Offline jesnon

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2014, 10:54:12 PM »
Whatever you decide to call him, he's very pretty  :)

I find they soon get to know it's food time because I put the ice cream tub with the pots of fish food in front of my betta's tank to measure it out. He gets excited when he sees it, and when he sees food going into the plastic egg cup I use for his food he almost climbs out of the tank to get to it  ;D

He is quite the handsome chap! Haha I hope to see that much enthusiasm from him.

Ah, a challenge! How about Falkor (Film - Neverending Story), Hydra (Greek mythical beast) or Paarthurnax (Video game - Elder Scrolls IV)??  ;D

Ooh I like the first two, though feel he's the wrong colours for a hydra.  I'm not sure how to pronounce the last one!!

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2014, 11:00:59 PM »
Ooh I like the first two, though feel he's the wrong colours for a hydra.  I'm not sure how to pronounce the last one!!

So Quetzalcoatl is out of the question then? :o  ;)

*Edit - Paarthurnax is from Elder Scrolls V, not IV - just in case someone pulled me up on it!  ::)

Offline jesnon

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2014, 11:30:56 PM »

*Edit - Paarthurnax is from Elder Scrolls V, not IV - just in case someone pulled me up on it!  ::)

Haha I've actually heard that one before, though I can't remember where from! God knows if I pronounce it right though!!

Offline Resa

« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2014, 01:45:00 AM »
Mmm...I suppose 'Puff' doesn't really have the same sort of feel :rotfl:

(For those young folk like Jesnon, 'Puff' was a magic dragon in a song...way back when Noah's cat was a kitten)

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2014, 09:07:47 AM »

Haha I was tempted but let you off with this being a fish site and not a gaming site!

He's a beautiful fish Jesnon!
Mmm...I suppose 'Puff' doesn't really have the same sort of feel :rotfl:

(For those young folk like Jesnon, 'Puff' was a magic dragon in a song...way back when Noah's cat was a kitten)

Wasn't puff the dragon the one doctors used in learning videos and books for kids with athsma??

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Offline Resa

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
Dunno about that :-\....the one I was referring to was the song from 1963 sung by Peter, Paul and Mary.

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2014, 10:14:50 AM »
yes i grew up listening to puff the magic dragon and books to with my asthma - oh happy memories :)

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2014, 01:04:29 PM »
Dunno about that :-\....the one I was referring to was the song from 1963 sung by Peter, Paul and Mary.

Bit before my time that Resa lol

yes i grew up listening to puff the magic dragon and books to with my asthma - oh happy memories :)

I though it was lol, I grew out of my athsma years ago now but remember the green dragon with orange wings lol

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Wondering about a new fishy direction?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Wondering

Started by Mervyn « 1 2 » New Fishkeepers

20 Replies
Last post November 23, 2012, 04:06:52 AM
by Mervyn
9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2014, 01:32:17 PM
by fishcake76
2 Replies
Last post August 31, 2014, 12:46:48 PM
by Diz1
7 Replies
Last post December 04, 2014, 06:45:56 AM
by biffster
5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2016, 09:28:05 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post June 13, 2019, 05:09:10 PM
by Sue
11 Replies
Last post August 30, 2020, 06:19:09 PM
by Beckins

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: