Thinking About My Stocking Levels

Author Topic: thinking about my stocking levels  (Read 5506 times) 13 replies

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
thinking about my stocking levels
« on: February 19, 2015, 04:18:49 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
well i was thinking about moving the fish in my 20 gallon to my 29 gallon.but i am not sure if i will be over stocked.ok so here is the stock i WILL have if i move my 20 stock over to my 29.
3 albino cories, 2 black phantom tetras, 1 blue gourami, 2 bronze cory, 1 juli cory, 6 kuhli loach,6 pristella tetras, 3 serpae tetras, 1 siamese algae eater, 3 golden white clouds, 1 albino bristle nose pleco, 10 red eye tetras.

the only fish i would be moving over to my 29 would be 1 albino bristle nose pleco, and 10 red eye tetras.
the fish that are schooling fish but only have 3 or 2 are because they used to be in groups of 6 but the others died so i will not be replacing them.

oh yeah i forgot that i do 3 10 gallon water changes on it per week,also i run a penguin biowheel filter 200,plus a aqua tech 20-40

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: thinking about my stocking levels
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 03:26:38 PM »
First of all, I am a bit confused. You say you want to move fish from your 20 to 29 gall and say what fish will be in there if you do move them; then you say you will only be moving the plec and red eyes. Does this mean the other fish in the list are already in the 29 gall?

Now to the list of fish. If you have all the fish you list in a 29 gall tank, ignoring the six cories as they are not in the fish profiles, the tank would be 150% stocked. Using the smaller panda cories in the community creator, adding 6 of them would put you at 166% - and it would be more than that as the cories you have a bigger than pandas.
And depending if the tank is a long or tall tank, the CC also flags up that a tall tank is too small for blue gouramis and siamese algae eaters as it would be shorter than a long tank.

If I change the filter from 'internal' to oversized internal' the numbers change to 125% without any cories and 136% with 6 pandas - and your bigger cories would bmake it a bigger %.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 10:18:59 PM »
First of all, I am a bit confused. You say you want to move fish from your 20 to 29 gall and say what fish will be in there if you do move them; then you say you will only be moving the plec and red eyes. Does this mean the other fish in the list are already in the 29 gall?

yes the other fish are already in there.

Now to the list of fish. If you have all the fish you list in a 29 gall tank, ignoring the six cories as they are not in the fish profiles, the tank would be 150% stocked. Using the smaller panda cories in the community creator, adding 6 of them would put you at 166% - and it would be more than that as the cories you have a bigger than pandas.
And depending if the tank is a long or tall tank, the CC also flags up that a tall tank is too small for blue gouramis and siamese algae eaters as it would be shorter than a long tank.

ok yes the cories are a little big bigger so i think i would be at about 175-179 percent stocking.
this is a tall tank.30 inches long.the blue gourami is only at six inches and she has stopped growing i think,the sae is only at about 3-4 inches i think.dont know really cuz that lil' guy is very fast. the sae really only lounges around the tank,sitting on plants,watching the other fish,and occasionally sucking some algae.he is really never that active even when i put down food,he will wait a bit and go for it.

If I change the filter from 'internal' to oversized internal' the numbers change to 125% without any cories and 136% with 6 pandas - and your bigger cories would bmake it a bigger %.

well if it helps i have another filter i could add to the tnak(UGH!WHY DO I KEEP PUTTING TNAK,IT'S TANK!!)
the filter i have that i could add would be a whisper 20-40 or a whisper 10-30 http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12085&cmpid=03csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525409513&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=530005150000135580&cadevice=c http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=12085&cmpid=03csegpl&ref=6111&subref=AA&CAWELAID=525409513&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=530005150000135580&cadevice=c

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 01:16:37 PM »
The number of filters don't matter, you have too many fish for the size of the tank. Filters only remove ammonia and ntirite, they do not remove nitrate or the hormones and other waste product made by the fish.

And some of the fish grow too big, which is bad for them. I've seen this described as keeping a horse in a cupboard. Yes it would fit but horses need room to run. Big fish need room to swim in a straight line.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 11:15:47 PM »
dont my water changes remove nitrates,hormones,and waste products?i can do 4 10 gallon water changes a week.
my blue gourami is a female so that means that she will be smaller then a male gourami.she is at 4 inch so she is done growing.there are dozens of links that say that you can keep a sae in a 29 gallon tank with a quick google search.so im not worried about them.

so with 4 10 gallon water changes a week do you think i could do it?

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 10:11:56 AM »
This is why you have to do more water changes than usual when you have an overstocked tank but the levels still build up between water changes. And what happens if you go on holiday or are too ill to do water changes? Or the power goes out leaving you with an overstocked tank and no filtration?
Understocking is always preferable to overstocking.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 06:26:07 PM »
Our power has gone out but it has never been for more then a few minutes. We dont go anywhere for holidays except for summer but we rarely do that now and when we do my brother stays home because he does not like the place that we pick to go and because some body has to watch the animals. I have never been to ill to do a water change. I can do 5 10 gallon water changes if i have to.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »
The problem with overstocking, as you acknowledge you would be doing, is that it doesn't allow for unforeseen circumstances, whether sudden/unexpected (eg power cuts that last for 24+ hrs, no water coming out of the taps for several days - I've experienced both of these completely unpredicted events) or gradual over time due to the various ways that life changes (eg your schoolwork requiring more time, you and/or brother developing a new hobby and deciding to spend your summers away from home). 

The needs/welfare of the fish are important too - stocking level calculations are there for a reason, to take their welfare into account, which should be the crux of the issue, rather than how much of a risk you can take.  What you're suggesting is the equivalent of keeping a dog in its kennel, making sure that it's fed and watered well, kept in a clean kennel, and therefore battling to keep it alive, when instead it should be allowed to thrive and be taken on walks too.  Hope that analogy helps to illustrate the situation a little better.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2015, 07:47:29 PM »
oh,now i under stand. i was putting my own selfish needs and wants before their needs. I wont do it. Thanks for letting my see it.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 07:54:43 PM »
To be honest Brian, I wanted to do the same with my tank. There are so many gorgeous fish out there I find it hard to come back from the fish store without a few more for my tank. Sue and FCMF are right, you shouldn't overstock if you can help it. Whilst its not only cruel to the fish and puts additional stress and work on you, another big reason not to is that a stressed fish will never show its best colours. I cannot believe the beautiful colours my X-Ray tetras are showing now they have settled in. They look like a different species compared to the drab little guys I picked up from the store. They also have enough room to swim happily around the tank.

You could always get some shrimp if you're looking for some extra tank mates. They add little bioload and are extremely entertaining.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »
...and don't forget to take your fish for a walk!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 02:37:29 AM »

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »
That is a lovely idea.   :fishy1:   

How on earth did that fish stay in its lid-free "walking bowl" and not leap out, I wonder?!

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2015, 03:08:56 AM »
i have no idea,the people must have been crazy :raspberries

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "thinking about my stocking levels"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 12:07:35 AM
by SteveS
6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 08:04:46 AM
by ColinB
9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2014, 12:20:53 PM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2014, 09:17:00 AM
by evan47
8 Replies
Last post March 01, 2015, 09:32:01 PM
by Helen
7 Replies
Last post October 01, 2019, 08:00:23 PM
by Hampalong
3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2022, 06:52:31 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: