Author Topic: Which Cory?  (Read 6383 times) 14 replies

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Which Cory?
« on: November 05, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey all!

I have a fluval Roma 125 and am looking for a new species of Cory for my tank. I have a peaceful community of fish building and I already have some Otos. I am thinking of some salt and pepper Corys, but does anybody have any other ideas? Was thinking of maybe something different....

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Otocinclus (6) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Silver Tip Tetra (12) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (6) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fishcake76

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Which Cory?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 07:40:32 PM »
Hi,

There are zillions of types of cories, some are really amazing looking but usually hard to find!!!  Have a peek at this website as they detail loads of them.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/

Happy cory choosing!!!!

Fc76

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 07:45:19 PM »
There's just one problem with salt & pepper cories (Corydoras habrosus) and that's finding some. I gave up and got pygmy cories instead - similar size and requirements.
Starting from the smallest ones, there are 3 dwarf species, salt & pepper, pygmies and C. habrosus hastatus (don't know any common names). Next in size are panda cories. The rest are all larger at around 2 inches/5cm minimum. You'll need around 6 of the same species.

While you are waiting for your new Roma tank to be ready for new fish, why not take a look in all your local shops and see what's available. Leave your wallet at home so you can't be tempted to buy any fish just yet  ;)

Don't forget you'll need sinking pellets to feed any cories you get. While they will eat any flake that reaches the bottom, with other fish in the tank there might not be enough food reaching the cories. They need a pellet with some meat content, despite being catfish they aren't vegetarians.

Edited for using the wrong latin name  :-[

Offline Wild Rover

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 08:20:36 PM »
Sterbai Corys are my fave, love their orange fins. They don't mind it a bit warmer than many others too

Dwarf Rainbowfish (24) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline naughtymoose

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 09:27:17 PM »
Good point about the sinking pellets Sue.

I've had my Salt and Peppers (from Maidenhead Aquatics) just over a week. I chose them instead of Pygmies because they are more active.

At the moment, they are getting enough food, but I'll have to get some sinking pellets.

This fish-choosing is a malarky isn't it?

Offline SteveS

• With apologies to M.C.Escher
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 10:50:11 PM »
Although there are sqillions of different types of cory, there are only a few that tum up regularly in the shops, and some of these can be quite expensive. I would recommend that you browse round your local shops and see what takes your fancy. They are all very similar in terms of behaviour, it's just picking one that takes your fancy.

Angelfish (1) - Panda Cory (10) - Harlequin Rasbora (10) - Otocinclus (10) - Japonica Shrimp (10) - Honey Gourami (10) - Galaxy Rasbora (10) -

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 09:12:12 AM »
I definitely like the sound of a smaller species of Cory, as all of my other fish are tiny as well and I have found peppered corys in a local aquarium, I was just interested in what other species I could have. I definitely like the sound of the Panda cory though, but I have heard that it can be a bit sensitive? Thing is as well, I would like a more active species of cory compared to my otos, which only appear to hide!

Otocinclus (6) - Japonica Shrimp (6) - Silver Tip Tetra (12) - Cardinal Tetra (10) - Cherry Barb (6) -

Offline Richard W

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 09:31:26 AM »
Don't confuse "peppered cory" (C.paleatus) which is quite a big species with "salt and pepper cory" (C. habrosus) which is the small one.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »
otos, which only appear to hide!

A contradiction of terms surely  ;)

ps: try playing spot the otto, it's a bit like 'Where's Wally' but a lot harder

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »
Definitely got the right ones, found them in the aquarium centre today. Just stuck between the panda and the peppered, don't know which would be better, or even the pygmy corys..... I think I may just mix and match the like four species....  :P

Been playing spot the otto for ages, and you won't believe how bad i am at considering they are in a 35L tank.... Have definitely seen three in the tank now though, so I am happy with that. I have also been considering just getting a large group of ottos. Really want someone to decide for me!

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 06:38:18 PM »
Right, definitely decided on the panda cory, love the look of the fish and the size of the fish. But how many?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 06:40:59 PM »
I believe 4 is the minimum number

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 06:42:32 PM »
Cories are shoaling fish so I'd say at least 6 of the same species. Don't mix and match like you were thinking about in the last but one post.

But wait till your new tank is all settled with no ammonia or nitrite for a week before getting any new fish.

Offline Colesr92

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 08:56:11 PM »
I'm waiting until around the end of the month,  if not the middle of December to stock up on new fish anyways, want to make sure that I am leaving plenty of time for my tank to settle with all of my current fish before I add anymore. Well, I was thinking of getting another three otos, so I end up with 6 and then 6 of the panda corys, which will give me 12 catfish-esque individuals in my tank, which I am more than happy with!

Offline biffster

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • a clean looking tank is not always a safe tank
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 08:12:38 AM »
try some of the dwarf sorts of corydoras very nice little fish

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Which Cory?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
2 Replies
Last post September 26, 2012, 07:58:40 PM
by DARRELL
2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 10:20:34 PM
by Fishywishy
5 Replies
Last post July 16, 2013, 08:04:16 PM
by Andy M
11 Replies
Last post May 27, 2014, 07:48:30 PM
by dbaggie
2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 11:44:33 AM
by jenpink
2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2014, 02:47:28 PM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post November 30, 2014, 05:34:26 PM
by biffster

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: