What Else To Keep With Juvenile Angels

Author Topic: What else to keep with juvenile Angels  (Read 8491 times) 57 replies

Deleted User

What else to keep with juvenile Angels
« on: November 15, 2017, 03:51:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Can someone advise on what other fish they have successfully kept with juvenile Angels
in the past, thanks.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: What else to keep with juvenile Angels
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 07:14:29 PM »
Have you used the Community Creator? If you add angels to a tank, it'll make suggestions for other suitable fish. I think for Angels it suggests harlequin rasboras. Or some of the larger tetras (not bite sized). 

I looked at adding angels to my community tank and was surprised that suggested companions were on my list. I also had warnings though, for others in my tank, so I can't remember which was which!

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »
Sorry, I've just checked and I was wrong. It is fiveband barbs and cardinal tetras that are suggested. I'm considering the former and have had the latter with my harlequin rasboras. I knew it was something that I had.  8)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
The main fish to avoid with angels are small pencil shaped fish as they are easily eaten, certainly once the angels  grow up. Neon tetras are the natural prey of angels, and any neon sized and shaped fish will possibly be eaten. Harlequins have deeper bodies so should be OK. If fish from south America are wanted, any of the non-nippy, deep bodied tetras should work - but they need to be non-nippy species because of the angelfish's fins.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
I've had a moderator moment and adjusted the title of this topic to make it easier to search for later down the line...

C:-)

Deleted User

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
Hi Helen,
              yes I did use the compatibility thing and will try the big barb idea,  :)

Deleted User

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 09:01:28 PM »
Mark,
         I hope your moderator moment wasn't too painful  :rotfl:

Deleted User

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 04:02:53 PM »
Thanks all,
                  I tried the Community Creator and it said Five Band Barbs and Cardinal Tetras as Helen said
Sue mentioned Harlequins,but I don't know what the "non-nippy" deep bodied Tetras are called ?

Names please :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 05:04:03 PM »
Most deep bodied tetras would be OK, the exceptions being serpaes (one of the nippiest tetras) and black widows (black skirts). Most others are OK if kept in large enough shoals.

Tetras usually have a hierarchy within a shoal and they set and maintain this hierarchy by nipping. If there aren't enough of them, they include the rest of the fish in the tank as part of the shoal, but in larger numbers they keep the nipping to their own species. When there are no fish with big fins the minimum number for shoal size is OK but big fins bring out the nipping tendency so more than 6 is safer with big finned fish.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 06:28:53 PM »
I don't know what the "non-nippy" deep bodied Tetras are called ?
...and the deep-bodied tetras include the ones that look like that in the relevant section of this page http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish-profiles eg phantom, widow/skirt, diamond, emperor, bleeding heart, Columbian, silver dollar, head- and tail-light, lemon, red-eye and rosy.

Hope that helps.  :fishy1:

Deleted User

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 07:35:09 PM »
Yes fcmf,
              that does help, thanks for taking the time  :D

Deleted User

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 08:29:04 PM »
OK that's it !!
                      conflicting advice from the fish keeping fraternity  ;)
Will someone be brave enough to name one fish that I will buy 10 of that wont bite my Angels fins?

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 08:44:23 PM »
My only advice is not to get penguin tetras, as mine even nipped the bristlenose plec I had in that tank, even though they were in a shoal of 10, along with 10 glass bloodfin tetras and hatchets.
I have moved the fish around and the glass bloodfins are in a tank with 10 lemon tetras and one of the plecs.
Both the bloodfins and lemon tetras are quite chilled though.
Diamond tetras are very pretty.
Sometimes it's impossible to say that a shoal of fish wont nip as sometimes it's down to the individual fish in the shoal rather than the species itself.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 09:27:22 PM »
Sometimes it's impossible to say that a shoal of fish wont nip as sometimes it's down to the individual fish in the shoal rather than the species itself.
Couldn't agree more with this comment!

Offline Sue

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 09:40:44 PM »
OK that's it !!
                      conflicting advice from the fish keeping fraternity  ;)
Will someone be brave enough to name one fish that I will buy 10 of that wont bite my Angels fins?

Harlequins, or one of their lookalikes - Espe's rasboras and Hengel's rasboras. The only thing I can think of that might put you off (if you consider such things to be important) is that they are from a different continent from angels.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 10:33:18 PM »
...and to illustrate the point Littlefish made, and my emphatic agreement, it was actually a harlequin rasbora I was referring to - I have one who terrorises and chases all ten other fish in the tank relentlessly every afternoon without fail.
 ::)

Deleted User

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 11:30:25 PM »
How about my old friend Mr Platy??  O:-)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 06:32:16 AM »
Is your water hardness between 10 and 15 DH?

Angelfish are quite slow moving whilst platys are very active. Does any one think they would stress the angels as a result?

Other than this, I don't see why it couldn't work...

Offline fcmf

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 08:05:09 AM »
@Madtony, I realised that my comment about my rogue harlequin might have put you off them altogether which I absolutely wouldn't want - they are lovely fish and I can't envisage them actually fin-nipping. Just to clarify that there are no guarantees with any species of fish, as there could always be a rogue (temporarily or long-term). Sometimes it's possible to read too much or not consider the information that individuals report on their own experiences in the wider context such as the fish profiles, so don't let every negative comment you read make you strike a particular species off the list.
:D

Offline Sue

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 08:25:16 AM »
I have espe's rasboras (Trigonostigma espei), one of the species closely related to harlequins, and they are anything but aggressive and nippy. I think I have 14 of them but they are very tricky to count in tank with lots of plants and wood. (I bought 18 but three died within the first couple of weeks. I asked for and paid for 15 but there were 18 in the bag  :) )

However, I partially retract my statement about keeping them with angels - with any fish in fact - because Trigonostigmas of any of the three species like cover. Seeing mine first in a tank with no floating plants and now in a tank with almost the whole surface covered in plants I can definitely say that they don't like being exposed when the tank light is on. When I first got them I didn't have any floating plants and they hid in a corner. Then I bought some water sprite and they hid under that. As the water sprite has grown, they venture further into the tank but only as far as the edge of the plants.
So my partial retraction is to say - harlequins or one of their lookalikes provided you have some plants (real or synthetic) floating on the water surface.

Tags: Angels. 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What else to keep with juvenile Angels"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
18 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 11:21:23 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 05:52:48 PM
by brecon
2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 12:40:57 PM
by Angelfish
3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2019, 09:57:42 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: