What Else To Keep With Juvenile Angels

Author Topic: What else to keep with juvenile Angels  (Read 8536 times) 57 replies

Deleted User

Re: What else to keep with juvenile Angels
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Todays test with my API kit.

pH- 6.4
High Range pH- 7.4
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrate- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm

Any observations would be appreciated.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 12:39:31 PM »
Ammonia zero - good, that's what it should be
Nitrite zero - good, that's what it should be.
Nitrate zero - unusual to have zero nitrate if there are fish in the tank unless it is also very low in tap water and there are lots of live plants. (Just because I have to ask - did you shake bottle #2 like the instruction say?)
High range pH - showing the lowest colour on tester because the pH is off the bottom of the scale and the tester can't read any lower
pH 6.4 - good for angels and other soft water fish.

If you also have soft water, that usually but not always goes hand in hand with low KH. Low KH means all the carbonate buffering gets used up quickly leaving nothing to stabilise pH. The natural tendency of a tank is to become acidic. If regular tank maintenance is not carried out, there is a risk of a pH crash. I know, this happened to me when I got lazy about water changes. Since then I do them every week without fail and it hasn't happened again. Regular large water changes replenish the KH.

Deleted User

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
Hi Sue,
            sounds ok then ;)
I actually carry out a water check every week and a tank clean with
a syphon changing 27% of the water.
Is this too much do you think?   :-\

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 01:33:36 PM »
Weekly water changes are good. The amount changed depends on how many fish there are. If the tank is fully stocked, the amount to change is 50%. With less fish than fully stocked, the % can be less.

Deleted User

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 02:04:08 PM »
Weekly water changes are good. The amount changed depends on how many fish there are. If the tank is fully stocked, the amount to change is 50%. With less fish than fully stocked, the % can be less.

That's fine, until I'm happy with what to put in with them it's six juvenile Angels in a 180
litre aquarium !!   :yikes:

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 06:10:39 PM »
Kept properly (i.e. in a group for shoaling species, and in correct water parameters) most Barbs, Tetras and Rasboras are not nippy. There really is a huge selection of species that will live with Angels. Most of the species commonly seen in shops are ok. But Angels are typical cichlids and need personal space. Most problems are due to small tanks where everyone is on top of each other. When Angels decide to pair up they become territorial, like all cichlids, so the other fish need to be able to escape.

Livebearers of any species will not do well in soft water, and even in hard water they will be set upon whenever the Angels realise they're dropping fry...

Angels also need a tall tank, at least 18" of water depth imo. Captive bred Angels don't grow as big as they used to, but can still exceed 6" in height.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 10:08:48 PM »
Agreed, Platys are not suited to your water parameters.

I've not had any problem with harlequins, and have simply found them to be a very sturdy fish.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 10:56:45 PM »
I've had Harlequins for a while. I've also had Cardinal tetras. And my favourite fish are my kuhli loaches. All 3 lived happily together for years. I think kuhlis can be picked on by nippy fish and consequently hide a lot.

I currently have a mix of Harlequins and espeii with my kuhlis and the kuhlis don't hide. They prefer to stay out of direct light, but I have a lot of crypts and that provides cover for the kuhlis, but not from the rasboras.

I would vouch for rasboras being fantastic fish. As I restock my tank after a period of neglect, the harlies are one of the species that I'm keeping and increasing the numbers of again.

Deleted User

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 11:15:59 PM »
I've had dozens of small fish over the years and they bore me after a while, that's one reason why I've started with the Angels, but I need a compatible fish that will grow to about 5 to 10 cm in the 180 litre tank.

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2017, 12:15:08 AM »
I've no idea if they are compatible temperament wise, but dwarf rainbow fish like the same water conditions (and about the size you suggested)

Is your tank planted?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2017, 06:58:54 AM »
It sounds like you're after a species with a bit of character, something with a more interesting behaviour perhaps than schooling fish.

So... how about zebra/chain loach which will spend a bit more time resting on the surfaces and decoration in the tank as well as swimming mid water. They would need to be fed a sinking food. I'm afraid ive no personal experience with these fish, but someone else may be able to advise further.

Another option would be dwarf cichlids; Agassiz's/Cockatoo/Bolivian Ram/Kribensis, these fish are a bit more intelligent than most, forming breeding pairs, territories etc. and interact with each other more. Their swimming style is different to tetra too, they tend to swim to something, hover near it to take a look, swim to something else etc.

Gourami are also another option though the best option probably is Dwarf Gourami, be warned many of these fish are imported with a virus which is not curable and often means they only survive a few months... they are characteristic fish however with their feelers used to investigate objects. They interact more with each other than tetra or rasbora. Their swimming style is slower and they interact with, swim through decor more than most.

Hope that helps.

Offline apache6467

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Catfish Enthusiast
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2017, 08:04:57 AM »
If your still after tetras, i keep 3 large angles with 5 blvk neons, 15 silver tip tetras and 10 buenos aries tetras
Hope this helps :D

Deleted User

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2017, 09:14:34 AM »
Thanks for all your advice everyone,
                                                       seems like basically I can choose a fish from those suggested, buy about ten and see what happens.

I'll let you know.

Offline Sue

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »
The problem is that shoaling fish that grow to 10 cm will need a long tank. Unless your 180 litre is a long, shallow tank - which would be unsuitable for angels as they need a tall tank - you need a species of tankmate that can live happily in a tank that is somewhere around 100 cm long. My custom built 180 litre tank is 107 cm long, and most off the peg 180 litre tanks are around 100cm or less.
This is why we've been suggesting smaller fish.

Deleted User

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
OK, I've got it Sue,
                           1.  My tall tank ideal for Angels.

2.  Ten Tetra's as suggested.

How does that sound?

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2017, 09:39:14 AM »
That sounds perfect - as long as you check the species of shoaling fish with Seriously Fish http://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ before buying them to make sure they would be happy in a tank the length of the one you have.
I just got worried when you posted
fish that will grow to about 5 to 10 cm
as a lot of fish at the 10 cm end of that range need tanks at least 120 cm long.

Angels don't need long tanks as they glide around rather than swim. But tetras are swimmers, and the bigger the fish the longer the tank they need to swim in. Like the difference in the athletics arena between shot putters (who stand almost in one spot) and sprinters  :)

Deleted User

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
Who are seriouslyfish?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2017, 10:59:50 AM »
I think the Seriously Fish site is run by scientists who study the animals? @Sue  is that correct?

Offline Sue

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2017, 11:23:12 AM »
Yes, Seriously Fish is a site owned and run by people who study fish. This is the best site available for looking up fish profiles.

There is another good site, FishBase, but that just gives details about the fish such as size and water requirements; it doesn't include things like tank size, compatible tank mates, diet etc that Seriously Fish has.

There are hundreds of other sites about tropical fish but you need to be careful about which ones you believe. Anyone can set up a website without knowing the first thing about fish, or worse, giving out incorrect information.

Deleted User

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2017, 11:26:20 AM »
Thanks again Sue,
                            I really fancy some Red Eye Tetra's, what do you think?

Tags: Angels. 

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What else to keep with juvenile Angels"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
18 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 11:21:23 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post February 17, 2013, 05:52:48 PM
by brecon
2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 12:40:57 PM
by Angelfish
3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2019, 09:57:42 AM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: