What's The Best Community Fish Food?

Author Topic: What's the Best Community Fish Food?  (Read 19188 times) 5 replies

Offline Stefan

• Fishy Member
What's the Best Community Fish Food?
« on: November 30, 2013, 12:16:07 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have a 125 litre freshwater community tank which is home to:
  • 6 Black Phantom Tetras
  • 6 White Cloud Minnows
  • 2 Bristlenose Plecos

For the past 4 months I have been using Sera GVG-Mix as their daily flake food along with Interpet Freeze Dried Blood Worms as a treat every other day. For the catfish I use Tetra Pleco Multi Wafers and cucumber as a treat every other day.

I wanted to commit to buying my food from one brand i.e Sera, Tetra, Interpet, King British etc.. but figured if I want the best for my fish I would have to buy certain foods from different brands.

What food do other people use?
What should I avoid?
Which food is the best of the best?

I am 4 months new into the hobby, so still on a steep learning curve. Any advice, tips and extra info you feel will benefit me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Stefan

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: What's the Best Community Fish Food?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 12:55:16 PM »
Your tetras and minnows will feed from the surface or mid water so for them you need flake or pellets that don't sink immediately. For the plecs you need algae rich pellets or wafers that do sink quickly. The make isn't as important as the nature of the food.
Given that fish food does have a shelf life, it is better to buy just a couple of types of food, and use them up before trying something else rather than have lots of different types open at once. Maybe one pot of flake, one pot of non-sinking pellets and one pot of sinking algae wafers/pellets at a time, and alternate the flake and non-sinking pellets for variety.

Bloodworm is not very nutritious, it should only be fed once, maybe twice a week. Think of them as burgers and the flake/pellets as a meat and two veg meal. Dried bloodworm is the least nutritious of the ways you can buy them. Live is best but comes with possible disease contamination. Frozen is not far behind live, but does not have the same health risk. If the other users of your freezer do not object, buy a pack of frozen bloodworm cubes (or daphnia or brine shrimp). You'll need to chop a cube up for the amount of fish you have as they contain a deceptively large amount. Thaw in a bit of tank water before feeding.
How do you feed your frozen bloodworm, do you just add it straight to the tank? It is safer to rehydrate them in a bit of tank water first as if a fish eats a huge chunk it could expand inside the fish enough to damage it.

Most branded fish food is fine. Some of the unbranded stuff you can get on Ebay etc is probably OK but I'd rather not risk it. I've just started using New Life Stectrum as it's supposed the be the one with the least fillers (ash) in it. The downside is that I haven't found a shop that stocks it so I have to buy it on-line.

Offline Stefan

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 01:37:40 PM »
Thank you for replying, Sue! :)

Always love seeing a nice lengthy post with some great advice. My flake food Sera GVG-Mix was recommended by my LFS who said it would bring the colour out in my fish and he was right. He also recommended the algae wafers which my plecos don't go too crazy over as much as they used to so once I have used up the packet I think I will try a different wafer. Got any recommendations? If anything my plecos go crazy over the cucumber more which is almost completely devoured over night.

As for the non-sinking pellets, I have heard they work really well. Haven't looked into them as much, but after this post I'll go see what's out there. The Freeze Dried Blood Worms only get fed once or twice a week as a high protein treat which they go absolutely crazy for. I keep them stored in a cool place as it's states that on the packet and to feed them I take a pinch a put it straight in without soaking them first. But I'll take your advice and soak them in tank water first. As for the cubes, I will 100% look into getting those because to be honest I have heard about them but was 50/50 about them, but now you mention it I'll invest in some :).

My local LFS or Pet Shops sadly don't sell New Life Spectrum or Omega as far as I'm aware. Heard good things about those two being low in ash and high in protein. The one's I see heavily stocked in my main LFS is Sera, Tetra, King British and Aquarian. Aquarian is the food used by both the LFS shops near me.

Yet again! Thank you for the advice. It's always good getting someone elses advice. Hopefully now I can provide my fish with a varied diet :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 02:06:33 PM »
If you look for non-sinking pellets, make sure they are small enough for your fish's mouths as some can be quite big. I can't help with the plecs I'm afraid as I've never had any.
And courgette is better for fish than cucumber. I fed that when I had apple snails, they loved it. If you don't eat courgette yourselves, buy one, chop it into slices then freeze them flat on a tray and bag them once frozen. They thaw out really quickly if you don't cut them too thick.

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 02:13:31 PM »
Forgot to mention peas  :o
Most fish go mad for them. Save some when you have some for a meal, or cook some in a bit of water in the microwave, then squeeze the insides out of the skin and chop to the size of the fish's mouths. Feed once a week.
I have some very small fish so I have to mash the peas rather than chop them. I have to turn the filter off for a few minutes so they can find all the tiny bits before they get sucked up. The danger with this is remembering to turn the filter back on............

Offline Stefan

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »
My fish are small, probably 2 inches or less except the plecs. I'll make sure to get the smallest non-sinking pellets I can find. Will also try courgette, heard nothing but good things about that so will pick some up when I use up the cucumber :). I'll give the peas a try as well, hopefully they'll eat it, my fish are fussy eaters.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "What's the Best Community Fish Food?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post October 23, 2014, 01:59:02 PM
by Wild Rover
2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 02:43:12 PM
by notungz
9 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 02:42:20 PM
by Diz1
24 Replies
Last post January 29, 2016, 09:37:38 PM
by fcmf
0 Replies
Last post February 05, 2016, 08:12:02 AM
by Robert
15 Replies
Last post February 26, 2017, 09:44:11 PM
by Littlefish
4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2019, 01:16:48 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: