WCMM And Amano

Author Topic: WCMM and Amano  (Read 8734 times) 29 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
WCMM and Amano
« on: March 12, 2015, 04:38:35 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Finally reached the stage where the other half has relented to the extent that I could keep some cool water fish and has even (and I whisper this very carefully in case he hears and changes his mind!!) said that I could think about a slightly bigger tank later  if I'm prepared to stick to temperate fish.

I think that otocinclus would be OK temperature wise and water hardness, although it wouldn't be until the bigger tank materialises.

However, I seem to be getting conflicting advice online about the temperatures that Amanos can be kept in.

Could they take the cooler waters of the WCMM. Could red cherry shrimp. (around 18-20c)

By the time any of this happens, the tank will be getting on for three months old and will hopefully still be fully cycled as I am feeding it regularly.

All comments appreciated. Thanks

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: WCMM and Amano
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 05:06:50 PM »
Petshrimp says 70 to 78oF for amanos (21 to 25oC)

But......

Seriously Fish reckons a minimum tank length of 60cm for WCMM and I've forgotten how big your tank is  :-[
There is a smaller relative that would suit a smaller tank, Tanichthys micagemmae

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 05:21:14 PM »
Ah. I was going by the community creator on here which says 30cm and I could (theoretically) have  5 in the tank. I've spent ages going through all the computations too to see what could go with them.  Bit daft if the site isn't accurate.

The other half is not keen on the idea of just shrimp so unless I get fish in this tank the bigger tank isn't going to materialise.

I know how he thinks, I should do after all these years, and I'm sure once he sees fish in the little tank he is going to say it's too small.
Years ago we had a couple of budgies in a cage. He put up with it for a little while and then built them a huge garden aviary with inside accommodation.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 06:43:19 PM »
If you can be sure he will let you get a bigger tank sooner rather than later, then yes get some WCMM. Did you know there is a gold variety of these fish? Since they are the same species they will mix and make it look like you have more than one type of fish........

I think the profiles on here a bit out of date. I first joined the forum in its old incarnation in 2006 and it had been going for some time even then. It is in recent years that it has been realised that fish need bigger tanks than used to be thought.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
I did see the gold Sue and I think there is a pink variation too.
I contacted MA to ask about the remaining Endlers thinking that having been treated they would be safe to buy but they said that they only had a few survive and they have been sold so hence looking for something else that would fit the tank.
I couldn't go mad with masses of fish in any case since spacewise the biggest I could fit anywhere would be the 60x30x30 at I think 54litres but it opens up a wider range of fish.

I'll see how I feel when we get back from out holiday. Got time to think about it. The tank is still being "fed" and is disposing of the additional ammonia nicely, as is my little tank.
I was surprised at how quickly it took off as it only has a little home made sponge filter in it. I keep the sponges for it in the main tank so I just shoved them in and put it in the little tank.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 08:03:25 PM »
Hi

I am considering adding some WCMM to my tank (runs at 20 degrees) as was wondering will the white and gold varieties shoal together?

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 09:04:49 PM »
If you mean will they swim together as a group, very few fish actually do that. Shoaling means living in large numbers and schooling means swimming together. A few species school all the time; the majority of shoaling fish only school if they feel threatened. Once they settle into a tank, unless there is something in there to frighten them they won't swim together.

But all the different colours of the same species will regard each other as members of the shoal and will behave accordingly. With white clouds, the different colours have come about by selective breeding. As far as the fish themselves are concerned they are all the same.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 05:15:23 PM »
Ottos can be a little tricky in a new tank although not impossible and if you do get some, make sure the ones you chose have nicely rounded tummies. They have this weird digestion and if they don't eat for 48hrs they're then unable to eat.

Offline Aquamaid

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 05:23:06 PM »
Hi all, i have WCMM i have the gold and long finned, not sure what sex they are apart from the long finned males who display regularly and are quite beautiful fish when you look at them closely. They dont swim together that much but they are lovely sociable fish, and when you have your hand in the tank for what ever reason they are always up close and personal lol. My tank is 60cm wide but quite a deep one, and i have them at 22c with my Platy and endlers, all seem well and happy (fingers crossed).

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 09:54:32 AM »
Thanks everyone.
My Aquanano is 22 litres, however the problem is now solved.

It was my birthday last week and the other half asked while we were away what I wanted for my birthday(having already bought me a lot of summer clothes which he says doesn't count as they are clothing!!) .

Tongue in cheek I said a new tank.  Having already received a catagoric "NO" previously I got "If you stick to temperate fish then yes"

I had already been scouring Ebay but when I couldn't have one there were plenty and when I wanted one there were none in this area for pick up.
OH was annoyed and said he meant a new one as it's a birthday present.

However, long story short, I tracked one down not 5 miles away. 60x35x30  (Volume 63 litres but I know take off 10%) with hood, lights, heater and filter, all for £40. Collecting it tonight.
The seller actually had about 4, all more or less the same size and has assured me there are no cracks or leaks.

I'm a little sneaky (!!!) in that my thinking is when I start spending money for extra substrate, plants, wood etc and any comments are made I can point out that it is only a secondhand tank.

So problem solved. I can have the WCMM and eventually  a few danios. 

I have been rather put off the Otos as I've read that they often expire the minute you get them home from the LFS.

I was wondering about salt and pepper catfish but they seem to require a slightly higher temp than the WCMM and Danios. I'm thinking of keeping the tank at 20c ?

Will either Cherry or Amano shrimp cope with these fish or are they fish food (I realise that baby shrimp probably would be). and what about temps for these shrimp? Can they be kept at 20c

Offline Sue

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »
20 deg sounds fine for the fish.
Do you plan using a heater set to that temp or will the room stay above that temp in the middle of the coldest winter nights?

Petshrimp says amanos' range is 70 to 78 deg F, that's 21 to 25 deg C, so maybe a bit cold for them. And red cherry 70 to 80F, ie 21 to 26.5C. A bit on the cold side for them too.

Seriously Fish reckons salt & pepper cories (Corydoras habrosus) can go down to 20 so they would be OK - if you can find any. I gave up and got pygmies instead which need it slightly warmer than 20. If you can source them, hastatus cories will be OK at 20C.

There is a loach that is new to the hobby which would be fine too. I have seen rosy loaches at Maidenhead Aquatics.

Can I ask what your husband has against tropical? The only difference is that you need a heater for them. But you also need a heater for temperate if the room they are in gets cold overnight in winter, though admittedly it won't be on most of the time.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 02:32:31 PM »
" Can I ask what your husband has against tropical? The only difference is that you need a heater for them. But you also need a heater for temperate if the room they are in gets cold overnight in winter, though admittedly it won't be on most of the time."

Thanks for info Sue. ~Great help

Re: the other half, he has nothing at all against Tropical fish, says they look very nice.

I think the problem is that he feels like he's being manipulated by  the kids.  We now have a hobby we didn't ask for and I have already spent a lot of money on it and we still have an empty tank. Since theirs was cycled with fish and no problems occurred they obviously thought it would be a straightforward job.
According to them, I have just made it more complicated with all this ammonia business and testing the tank.

We are on a water meter and don't have central heating.
We also camp a lot so he knows I will fret about the fish although I suppose that feeling will ease a bit over time.

I will keep the current heater in the tank set at 20c so no problem there.

WCMM are supposed to be hardy as are the Danios, so I expect he feels I would be safer and less stressed with fish that aren't likely to bite the dust the minute I put them in the tank. (except there's no guarantee there eh!)

He accepts that the first lot were just bad luck but he hates to see me upset.

If we had never been given the tank, even though the best of intentions came with it (keep the old folk occupied !!) we wouldn't be in this position.

I'm sure once I get a few fish swimming around he'll be fine.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 03:21:49 PM »
I have a tank set at 20o. Apart from the WCMM and Zebras, two other smallish fish that are doing very well in it are Odessa and Checkered barbs. Neither will grow bigger than 5 cms and (like most barbs) they are extremely robust fish, rarely suffering from any health problems. WCMM and Zebras mainly feed from the surface, but barbs will take food from the bottom, they are also very greedy and so there is no chance of any food remaining on the bottom and polluting the water. I reckon these would be a better bet than the little Corydoras. I have Salt and Pepper cories, they are quite endearing but they really are small and well camouflaged, I sometimes struggle to find them even though they are only in a 60 cms tank.

I wouldn't worry about water consumption. You shouldn't really need to change more than 10 litres a week (I'd change less) and considering a typical washing machine uses 45 litres per wash, a single washing machine wash is equivalent to about a month's fish tank use. Even a very quick shower with an efficient shower will use about 35 litres, a typical shower might use 60 litres, i.e. a whole fish tank full. Unless you have a very large tank or a number of smaller ones, fish tank water use will be negligible compared to general household use.

Setting the thermostat to 19 - 20 will be a considerable saving over higher temps, during summer the heater will hardly be on at all even in an unheated room.. If you go away, it would be a good idea to get a cheap time switch so that the lights go on for a period daily. In fact a time switch is a good economy measure anyway, set it to come on when you will most likely be around to see your fish.

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 08:04:15 PM »
I would echo Richard W's suggestions on the barbs rather than the small cories. I have pygmy cories which are a joy to watch, especially when they are foraging about, falling into narcoleptic sleeps while doing so, or going for a rest on leaves of plants, sometimes in bunkbed style. However, from a distance of about 6ft away, which is where I normally sit, they are actually quite hard to see when they're on the substrate, so if you would like to be able to see your fish better from that sort of distance or further, then I'd recommend going with the larger fish of the 4cm-5cm size range. Alternatively, if you do go for the smaller cories, then I'd recommend getting a "fish viewing chair" up close to the tank which is what I've installed.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »
Odessa barbs are stunning fish, definitely on my future shopping list, though I think they may require a larger tank than yours. Cherry Barbs are smaller and may be more suitable.

Have you seen the long fin WCMM? They're a bit more expensive than standard WCMM, but they really are attractive fish.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2015, 09:07:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated. Have looked at the suggested fish and they are very pretty. Going to MA tomorrow to see what they have.
Have picked up the tank and have just got to get it up and running now, cycling with seed from the aqauone.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2015, 09:58:55 PM »
Also... can't remember your exact water parameters, but if you fancy something a bit more colourful and you have hard water, then variatus platy could be a colourful addition. If on the other hand you have soft water, Buenos Aires Tetra can cope with temperatures as low as 16 degrees celcius, though seriously fish say they should have a larger aquarium than yours. Glowlight danios can also cope with the lower temps and a wide range of water parameters... just some suggestions!

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 07:09:41 AM »
It is now known that the Odessa barb is  a true species, not a variety of the Ticto barb as previously believed. They are therefore considerably smaller than most sources (including the Thinkfish profiles) suggest. Seriously Fish gives the largest size recorded as less than 5 cms and so a 60 cm tank is definitely big enough. They also originate from hard water, which I seem to remember is what Sanjo has.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 08:18:51 AM »
"Cherry Barbs are smaller and may be more suitable. "
The proposed temperature is much too low for Cherry barbs.

Buenos Aires tetras need a bigger tank and also eat plants.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 06:20:53 PM »
"Cherry Barbs are smaller and may be more suitable. "
The proposed temperature is much too low for Cherry barbs

Not according to seriously fish or any other resource I've found which put their minimum temperature at 20 degrees. Also suitable They are suitable for 60cm tanks.

I did state that Buenos Aires tetra would be too big for the tank and seriously fish recommends a tank at least 80cm long for Odessa Barbs so they are also not suitable for the tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "WCMM and Amano"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 07:25:05 PM
by TigzFish
9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 11:28:45 PM
by TigzFish
15 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 09:29:09 PM
by Dominika
3 Replies
Last post November 23, 2015, 07:54:02 PM
by tracymeg
11 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 01:43:34 AM
by TrenchyLs
10 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 02:47:36 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: