Author Topic: WCMM and Amano  (Read 8741 times) 29 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Re: WCMM and Amano
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 07:06:02 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi there,
We did look at the Odessa Barbs this morning and they were beautiful but they were HUGE in comparison to the WCMM.
We've decided we'll go with the WCMM and some glowlight Danios. Thanks all for your help.
Maybe get the Odessas when I get yet another tank hehe. !!

(The other half is saying - don't even think about it- BUT he said that about the one we picked up yesterday)

I spent this afternoon cleaning the "new" tank.  I filled it to the brim with rainwater to make sure it doesn't leak and it seems stout enough and I added baby  sterilising tablets.  It was then very thoroughly rinsed using the fresh water hose
There are a few scratches on it but once it has water and plants  in it I'm sure it won't notice.

It came with a Fluvel 4 Plus (old style) filter.
There were two sponge filters in it.  They are stained but not breaking up or anything and look like they have some life left in them. It filters over 1000 litres an hour but is adjustable

There was also a 200 watt heater which shook the other half (our current one is 25 w) but then he realised that it's a bigger tank and the heater's thermostat should keep the temp steady at around 22c so he calmed down.

We are a bit puzzled by the light though.  It is in the hood and is 15w but says on it "for reptile use only"

I assume this means that the spectrum is incorrect for plants?

Should I get a condensation tray to stop moisture from reaching the light.

All help gratefully received. Thank you

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 07:20:26 PM »
I don't know much about light tubes but we have members that do.

How is the light attached to the hood? If there are two white things that screw over the ends of the tube you don't need a condensation tray. But the white things do need replacing when they get worn as the seal goes and can let moisture in. The white things are called end caps and look like this. They come in different sizes depending on the diameter of the light tube.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 07:33:44 PM »
I think glowlights are a great choice. Very active fish and have lovely colouration.

The light situation is a bit odd. Have you thought of replacing it? I really like my Arcadia Classica LED stretch. It sits on top of your tank and can stretch to fit varying tank sizes. It has both moon lighting and standard. LEDs have very low power consumption and last a lot longer than tubes. The Arcadia is not the brightest lamp on the market but will provide ample light for most plants.

Just a thought as the tank was second hand  ;)

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 08:22:12 PM »
Ooooo. I really like those Cod.
Hmm. Well I did say in my original post that the reason I opted for the second hand one was so that I could be sneaky when I wanted to buy things.

The man showed us the light working (didn't mention it was  reptile light tho - so much for having a big crucifix hanging on his wall. I thought that meant he was a genuine person. My husband thinks I'm nuts for supposing that!!)

I shall have to wait for the right moment or order it myself and airily say it's a Oh, it's just a cheapy from Ebay.

Oh this fish lark is doing nothing for my soul.  He doesn't know how much I've spent on plants that have died.  I bought a new I Love Fish pump yesterday and sneaked that in but it's going back. It's as noisy as the on I already have.
Might have shot myself in the foot there. He wasn't with me when I bought it so I didn't tell him  and I had a lovely spend up in P@H and I bet when I casually say I want to browse in there (so I can take it back)  he'll say "I'll come".

Then I'll have to do the usual woman's stuff "Oh, that old thing - I've had it ages but I don't need it now"

Men - you are so unpredictable!!

PS the light does have the end caps Sue. We had the devils own job getting them out though. Obvious once we'd susses it out.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 09:11:30 PM »
Ha ha! I'm far too trusting when I buy things secondhand. I picked up 10 cherry shrimp on Sunday. Gave the woman a tenner for a brown bag with what felt like water in it and only checked there were shrimp in there when I got in the car! There was fortunately!

The Arcadia lights are great value in my opinion and I think Swell do the best deals on them.

Fishkeeping is a bit of an addiction. I'm just glad my better half isn't really into it. There's be thanks everywhere if she was!

Other than anacharis, the other plant I've had huge success with is Hygrophila Polysperma. It seems almost indestructible! Java moss is pretty resilient too.

I can't recommend a good pump sorry, I don't bother with air bubbles in the tank. The higher CO2 levels are supposed to be better for the plants!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Richard W

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 07:31:48 AM »
Well, if we are all going to be dictated to by what Seriously Fish says then the tank is too small for Glowlight danios as it says they need a tank at least 80 cms long!

Seriously Fish are actually pretty inconsistent at times, some Corydoras they say need an 80 cms plus tank, while other of a similar size they say will be OK in 45 cms. Doesn't make much sense to me. They also say that Peppered Cory need at least 22o while EVERY other source says they are happy in much lower temps, indeed they are rumoured to have been caught in streams with ice on top. The last might be an exaggeration but they have been successfully kept as a standard component of cooler tanks for decades. So I don't automatically believe what SF (or anybody else) says.

One factor is that they nearly always say that you should keep at least 8 - 10 of any fish, though I'm sure many keep 6 perfectly happily, and the tank size they recommend reflects that. So 8 - 10 Odessa barbs would need a bigger tank (I have 8 ) though I'm sure that 4 would be fine in 60 cms.

The problem I see with WCMM and Glowlight danios together is that they both tend to occupy the upper layers of the tank. I try to balance the areas of occupation and so with my Zebras and WCMM I have Odessa and Checkered barbs for the middle layers and Peppered Cory for the bottom. Yes, they do move up and down, but generally I think it means that there is more "personal space" for each type.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 09:30:59 AM »
I get so confused by the different advice on sites like Serious Fish.
I always get the impression that they are for the real "officianados" (is that a proper word?)

I read something and think OH good I can have those then SF tells me I can't but I know other people have got them. SF nearly always seems to contradict what this site says so I chicken out and go with TF, but then that's probably because I'm reading hat I ant to see"

I shouldn't be so trusting but as a complete beginner you have to rely on "experts" or kind folk on here who share their fishy experiences.

Cherry Barbs and Odessas it is then for the next upgrade haha.

Offline Pelajuch

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 11:36:26 PM »
Richard W. Can I ask what temperature you keep your peppered corys at?  I have 3 in a 120l 100cm tank with 10 golden WCMM (tank has recently completed a fishless cycle) I will add 3 more once I know the levels are stable.  I originally wanted an unheated tank, but as the room it is in does not have central heating I decided to buy a heater as I monitored the tank temp unheated for a month during the cycle and it varied between 18 and 21. All the sites I checked had 22 as the minimum for the peppered cory. If they are OK down to 18 I can turn the heater off. It is set on its lowest seting 20 deg but the actual temp is stable at 22 deg.

Regards

Offline Richard W

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 06:51:51 AM »
Mine are kept at about 20o.
I find the best information about individual species is often in older books (I have a large collection), which were written by professional fishkeepers, while most Internet sites seem to just copy information from each other. The usual opinion in these books is that 18 - 23 is the optimum temperatures for the Peppered cory, not below 18  and never as high as the 26 which many people seem to think is "normal" for tropical tanks.

There's an article here :
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=5351
on setting up a temperate tank set to 18o including Peppered cories.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2015, 01:01:28 PM »
It's funny you should say that Richard.

When I was googling the other day I found I was reading exactly what I'd read on a different site. So much so that I had to check I was actually on a different site.
It was word for word.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "WCMM and Amano"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
11 Replies
Last post February 26, 2013, 07:25:05 PM
by TigzFish
9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 11:28:45 PM
by TigzFish
15 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
by ColinB
3 Replies
Last post May 07, 2015, 09:29:09 PM
by Dominika
3 Replies
Last post November 23, 2015, 07:54:02 PM
by tracymeg
11 Replies
Last post May 08, 2017, 01:43:34 AM
by TrenchyLs
10 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 02:47:36 PM
by Sue

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: