Partially Re-stocking A 54l 60x30 Tank

Author Topic: Partially re-stocking a 54l 60x30 tank  (Read 5743 times) 27 replies

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Partially re-stocking a 54l 60x30 tank
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 09:53:39 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I have espei's rasboras in pH 7.5. Hardness is more important than pH - if your hardness is within a species' range, it is OK for the pH to be slightly outside.

Honey gouramis - in your sized tank I'd go for just 1 male. Honeys are peaceful for gouramis but I don't think your tank is big enough for 2 male territories. A group of 5 females can be any colour. Natural coloured females are silvery beige with a brown stripe from nose to tail. Red honey gouramis are the hardest colour to tell the gender, you have to go by fin size and shape and keep your fingers crossed.

Featherfin rainbows - these were on my shortlist when I was restocking my tank a few years ago. One reason I didn't get them was the few shops that stocked them had only males. If you can find one that stocks females, they are lovely fish.

Cherry barbs - 2 m 4 f. Males are a lot brighter red than females. They feed off the bottom of the tank as well as mid water so do help clear up uneaten food that makes it to the tank bottom  :)
I know you like the red contrast with your yellow honey gouramis but did you know there's also an albino form? Orange male, yellow female, both with red eyes. I bought some from Maidenhead Aquatics once (the only place I've ever seen them was the MA in the garden centre that burned down a few months ago, though other branches should be able to get them)

I know this doesn't help you make your decision but hopefully give you some pointers to help the process  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »
I echo Sue's comments on the harlequin rasboras. My PH is similar to yours, even slightly higher at times. Of the 3 shoals of tropicals I've had, the harlequins have done the best - all 6 are aged 3+ and still looking as healthy as when I bought them (touchwood!).

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 08:56:58 PM »
My experience of cherry barbs was that the females had very little red in them - in my planted tank the females looked brown. And I would describe them as inhabitants of the bottom half of the tank water (free swimming low down rather than on the substrate)

One thing to note is that harlequin rasboras are slightly larger than espei's, so you might be about to get 1 or 2 more in your shoal if you go with espei's.

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2018, 09:24:25 PM »
Thanks @Helen, that sounds like it's turning me off of the Cherry Barbs. I've got shrimp and Corys, so there's plenty going on in the bottom of the tank, I'd rather have fish at the top.

When I was playing around with the CC last night, I don't think it distinguished between the Harlequins and the Espeis, despite the Espei being called a "Slender" Rasbora on some sites.

So I'm down to three - Espeis, Threadfins and more Honey Gouramis. I honestly didn't check the gender of the Threadfins (or anything else, bar noseying at the Bettas), so this is something to consider.

Perhaps it's because I'm still a bit naive towards fishkeeping, but the Gouramis feel like the safe/boring/practical option and I can't help wanting something a bit different/fancier. The Threadfins certainly fit that bill.

Whilst I know LittleFish has endorsed getting more Gouramis, it doesn't seem like there's an inherently "best" answer here from the other comments. I'm planning to go back out over the weekend to pick up some new friends, so I think I'll take a look at what's there on the day (now that I've done some research and thinned out my list) and go with whichever of the three grabs me the most.

Thanks for all of your input, though. After my various misadventures, it feels good to be going about it in the right way..

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2018, 07:46:10 AM »

Perhaps it's because I'm still a bit naive towards fishkeeping, but the Gouramis feel like the safe/boring/practical option

Yes, I suggested gouramis because they would be the "safer" option, but remember that I don't have any experience with these fish, and the other do.
If it was going on looks I'd go with the threadfin rainbows, as they have a nice shape and are quite unusual (even though I have a massive soft spot for rasbora)

Offline Fishbeard

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
  • Bearded Fish Forum User
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »

There are two tropical fish shops about 25 and 30 minutes away from me now. Both have good stocks of fish, one is slightly cheaper, but has very little except fish (hardly any tanks, decor, food etc.) and the other's got everything, including turtles, axolotls, koi carp, water features and the rest, but costs a bit more.

So I went to the more expensive one first, because they carried all three of the threadfins, rasbors and gouramis, while the other didn't carry threadfins. I also wanted to get a "cave" for Princeton and some more decor in general, as I stole from the main tank to set up his 25l last week. So I've got a few more moss balls, split between the two tanks, some silks and a cave for Princeton, another silk and some more java fern on a piece of bogwood for the main tank. I can't grow plants for the life of me, and I've killed all the "easy" floating plants I've tried too, but I did buy java fern on a piece of driftwood before that's survived in my main tank, despite my best efforts, so I figured I'd try another piece.

Looking around, I wasn't taken by the rasboras on second look, and they had no threadfins left. This is actually the same shop my two current gourami came from, so I picked up four females (two yellow, two red) along with the non-fish.

They had no Japonica shrimp today, just crystal red,so then I stopped at the other shop on the way home and picked up four more there. Oddly enough, this shop didn't have any coloured gourami in today, just the natural ones, and most of them looked to be male. Had I come to this place first and called it a day, I would have ended up with the espeis instead...

Everyone's been acclimatised throughout the afternoon and it's bloodworms for tea!

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »
Sounds like you've had a productive day! (Isn't it interesting, though, how the order of visiting a shop plus other factors can result in different purchases than otherwise might have been the case.) Hope everyone is very happy in their new home and existing and new stock all get on swimmingly.
 :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2018, 08:04:11 PM »
Congratulations on your new arrivals.
I hope that they have settled into their tank and have enjoyed their tea.  :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Partially re-stocking a 54l 60x30 tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 01, 2012, 09:14:40 AM
by Sue
13 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 09:51:43 PM
by dbaggie
8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2016, 08:55:55 AM
by Fiona
8 Replies
Last post September 25, 2016, 10:10:28 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2016, 07:46:37 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post January 07, 2017, 09:11:32 PM
by Littlefish
23 Replies
Last post October 19, 2018, 07:26:05 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: