Uv Sterilisation

Author Topic: uv sterilisation  (Read 2246 times) 5 replies

Offline glitch74

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
uv sterilisation
« on: June 06, 2017, 05:28:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Does anyone use a UV steriliser in their tank. What are the benefits. Are they safe for the fish.whats the best one to get.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: uv sterilisation
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 07:36:02 PM »
UV sterilisers only kill water-born things so they don't kill the kind of algae that grows on things but they do kill the lagae that makes 'green water'.

They do kill water-born pathogens but only if they get swept past the UV light before they get to a fish. So for example, an extreme case - a cory sitting next to a whitespot cyst just as it bursts will be infected with whitespot before the parasites reach the UV.

A lot of fishkeepers do not approve of UV filters in the home, or at least they disapprove of running them full time. The reason being that it is mainly stressed fish that get sick and the fish in our tanks should not be stressed. If they are, we are doing something wrong.
The other problem with running it full time is that because the pathogens are killed off, the fish don't develop immunity. Then something goes wrong with the UV and you don't realise, you buy new fish which bring a pathogen into the tank and the existing fish, having no immunity, drop like flies. Something going wrong with the UV could be something as simple as not replacing the bulb before it wears out.

So yes, use a UV, but not full time, and don't expect miracles  :)

As for recommendations, I haven't used one so I'll leave that to someone else.

One thing I will warn about - make absolutely certain that the one you choose is made for aquariums. I read about a month ago on another forum of someone who bought a UV and it killed their fish. When they posted a link to what they bought, the item description on the on-line shop said for use in fish tanks but the packaging said for sterilising water storage tanks. There was no sleeve round the bulb and the fish were exposed to the UV light  :(

Offline glitch74

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 07:58:45 PM »
Thanks Sue. I thought id get one that I could run once a week for a few hours

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »
That's fine, it's running 24/7 that has the potential issues.

Offline Andy The Minion

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 10:50:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
@glitch74 I think uv is one of the 'Marmite' subjects in fish keeping. I use one on both of my tanks but I know others will say it's not needed. What I would say is that to be effective they have to be used correctly, have sufficient power and contact time to effectively deal with the organisms. The uv bulbs that are included in some external filters are just too small to stand any chance of going a good job even if they were on 24/7. When I fit them I follow the advice in the link and have a bypass loop in the return to the tank (always fit it after the filter to keep them clean and the water clear to maximise the effect)
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html This guy is very pro uv so best read around for a counter argument before deciding :)
The once a week for a few hours is probably too short, I tend to run them at night or from the tank light timer, usually there is a closed contact on timers so the uv is on when the lights are off.
As to are the necessary, I don't know. My water is clear and I haven't (yet) had a disease outbreak but that could be down to pure luck. For what it's worth I use 25w versions from TMC and a nice slow flow so only about 1/10th of the water passes through them.

Offline glitch74

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 11:17:39 PM »
Cheers Andy

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: