Author Topic: Topping up a shoal  (Read 3556 times) 8 replies

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Topping up a shoal
« on: April 24, 2016, 06:42:26 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just wanted to hear some opinions about adding a small number of fish to an existing shoal.

As some if you will remember, I lost a Green Tiger Barb recently, so want to replace him.

I bought six Otos a while ago, one died a day or so after being transferred from the QT tank and two disappeared, so I want to get three more to bring the shoal back up to six.

I've just had a Cardinal Tetra die in mysterious circumstances, the day before yesterday he was fine and then yesterday he was bloated and unable to swim properly. He died shortly afterwards. :(

Incidentally, yesterday I also noticed a one-eyed Cardinal but he looked otherwise healthy.

Anyway, back to the query:
I want to add a Green Tiger, three Otos and a couple of Cardinal Tetras to the community.

However, I'm concerned about keeping shoaling fish in relative isolation in the Quarantine Tank.

Bearing in mind they're only going to be in the QT for a few weeks, perhaps it won't be such a problem?

Or maybe the whole idea is ill-advised and I should wait until I need to add more of the same species.

I'd appreciate opinions, how have others handled a similar situation in the past?

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Topping up a shoal
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 07:05:17 PM »
Keeping less than optimal numbers in a quarantine tank is OK because it is only temporary.

There is another factor to bear in mind when adding to existing shoals - hierarchy. With some shoaling species eg otos or cories, this doesn't matter. But it does with other species eg loaches, and quite likely tiger barbs as well. Will the original fish accept a newcomer?
There are tricks to try. You can rearrange all the decor as you put the new fish in so they think they are somewhere else and have to establish a new hierarchy, old and new fish all in it together. This is commonly used by keepers of multiple female bettas.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 07:38:11 PM »
Thanks Sue.

I had considered the hierarchy issue as the Tiger Barbs frequently have little battles to establish their pecking order.

I originally had six standard Tigers and after a few weeks added the six green Tigers. The green ones were far younger and smaller and they didn't fight and the standard Tigers didn't compete with them. Thankfully they just merged into the shoal with no issues. They're as big as the standard Tigers now and they all squabble but it's playful rather than violent.

I'm hoping that if I add another juvenile green Tiger they'll allow him to join the shoal.

I'll probably end up getting these fish as exchange for my juvenile Apistos, so should be putting these into the QT in a couple of weeks.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 10:58:32 PM »
Thanks for asking this question / raising these issues as they're exactly the sort of questions I had been wondering about, if I have premature fatalities (.v. not replacing but instead getting a shoal of a new species which I'm more likely to do if fatalities occur later down the line).

Let us know how the new ones fare, once you get them and also once in the main tank.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 11:05:45 PM »
I'd be a little worried putting 1 tiger barb in quarantine with the otos and cardinals. They display aggression on their own I believe.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 07:55:14 AM »
Thanks Donna. I'll let you know how it goes.

Fiona, the Green Tiger Barbs in the LFS are tiny, even if one does display aggressive behaviour in the QT, they're no bigger then the Oto and only a little bigger than the Cardinal Tetras.

I'll keep a close eye on things in case there's any shenanigans.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 12:41:26 PM »
I'll keep a close eye on things in case there's any shenanigans.

Sneaky little buggers those shenanigans, turn your back for 5 secs and ......... ::)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 01:24:05 PM »
I quite fancy a nice shoal of shenanigans....I haven't seen any at my LFS, but I'm fairly certain I saw some at MA on Friday.  ;D

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 01:53:42 PM »
 :rotfl: lol.  :rotfl:

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Topping up a shoal"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 07:27:35 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post November 29, 2015, 11:09:10 PM
by fcmf
4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2018, 11:30:47 PM
by kdt1

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: