Temperate/sub Tropical Tank Suggestions

Author Topic: Temperate/sub tropical tank suggestions  (Read 5484 times) 13 replies

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Temperate/sub tropical tank suggestions
« on: February 21, 2016, 09:18:25 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,

All being well I will be moving house in the next few weeks, and my wife has agreed we can upgrade the tank. I like the look of the Fluval Roma 240l as it has the pipework for the external filter plumbed in through the base, so no hoses hanging out of the tank. I have also decided to go sub-tropical to save a few pounds on the electric bill. Haven't checked water yet, but assumed fairly hard and pH around 7.5.

I'm thinking about stocking:
6 x Denison barbs
12 x Odessa barbs
6 x Panda Garra
+ a shoal of smaller schooling fish.

I know that Leopard/Zebra and Glowlight Danios are happy in a subtropical tank, as are Bloodfin and Buenos Aires Tetra. I have ruled out the Buenos Aires Tetra due to their penchant for greenery. Has anyone kept Bloodfins? Would they be okay with Denison Barbs?  CC says they're too small...

Does anyone have any other suggestions? 

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Temperate/sub tropical tank suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:25:46 PM »
I'm not particularly familiar with coldwater fish other than goldfish; however, I've always found both Denison and Odessa barbs very striking, so that's great news that you're going to be upgrading your tank and so these fish may be possible.

One point I have read a few times recently is that barbs have ravenous appetites, so that would be something to bear in mind in terms of other tankmates and ensuring that they get their fair share or that other food specifically for them is considered.

All the best with the house move, and hopefully someone else will be able to provide suggestions and advice around choice of fish.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 07:48:09 AM »
A 240L tank, which I assume would be 120 cms, is about the bottom limit for Denison's Barb.

Have you seen the following from Seriously Fish?
"Since it naturally occurs in pristine habitats it is intolerant to accumulation of organic pollutants and requires more-or-less spotless water in order to thrive. It also does best if there is a high proportion of dissolved oxygen and moderate water movement, and weekly water changes of 30-50% tank volume should be considered routine." That's a lot of water changing! They are also pretty expensive fish so it's worth making sure you can definitely cope with this before buying them.

I think it's never a good idea to mix fish of widely differing sizes. Apart from elements of food competition, I just don't think they look right. I'd be tempted to go for another barb type, such as Golden or Rosy. Glowlight danios can be a bit timid, but Zebra/Leopard can hold their own with anything.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:03:26 AM »
I know you want subtropical, but unless your house will be kept reasonably warm day and night throughout winter don't forget you'll still need a heater, just set a bit lower than for tropicals. It won't be on as much so you will save on electricity.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 11:46:41 AM »
What about paradise fish? They look pretty amazing.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 09:34:19 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Sue - I will definitely have a heater set at 18 C for the Panda Garra, just in case the house temp drops too low.

Fiona - Paradise fish look gorgeous, but I'm a little worried about their temperament.

Richard - good points about the Denison. I love the look of them but they are quite expensive. They are very large water changes too! Gold and Checkered barbs could be a good alternative. I don't know why but I'm not taken by rosy barbs. Would love Black Rubies or Tigers but they require temperatures above 20 C.

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 09:58:46 PM »
Hi Cod

I have a sub tropical tank and though there are limited fish ideal for it, I do enjoy it.  Have you thought about peppered coreys as they are one of the larger coreys and are suited to your temperature range.

The hardest thing about the tank being sub tropical is keeping it cool in the summer.

Anne

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 10:23:32 PM »
Corydoras are a great idea! I'll have to check they get on with Panda Garra, but they would really add some activity in the lower levels of the tank.

I'm also thinking about American Flag fish.

Is it really that difficult to keep the tank cool?

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 10:34:03 PM »
There was a string on here from last summer about cooling down tanks. 

My tank is normally 19oC, last summer it went up to 24-25oC on the odd really days (I live in the north east so there aren't that many), I found the best thing to do was to turn the heater off - it was off for most of July, August and September, take the lid off and when the temperature still wouldn't drop turn the lights out.  The lights made a big difference, in fact I tended to only put them on when I got home from work, all my plants are easy care low light ones so they were OK.

Anne

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 10:35:58 PM »
Is it really that difficult to keep the tank cool?
It can depend on the accommodation. In a modern flat, on a higher storey, it can be difficult to keep tanks cool (26-28 in summer and needing remedial action such as regular partial water changes with cold water or bottles of frozen water in the tank for coldwater tanks*) but, in an older house, it's probably much easier.
*There's a thread on here somewhere with some good suggestions that I recall reading early last summer.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 10:49:32 PM »
That's very interesting. The house is fairly new and is very well insulated. I'm hoping this means it'll keep things warm in winter and cool in summer. Tank will be on the ground floor and away from windows, but I do live in the south east and it can be toasty here on occasion...

Offline Richard W

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 07:39:42 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I wouldn't worry too much about temps rising in summer. This is Britain, people in southern Europe, USA, Aus etc all keep these fish and have much higher temps to worry about. Most temperate water fish will be fine so long as they are not kept in much higher temps for sustained periods, a few days or weeks should be no problem. The exceptions would include things such as hillstream catfish and loaches, but your normal barbs, danios, corydoras wouldn't bat an eyelid (if they had eyelids, that is...........)

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 12:18:41 PM »
We've got golden metallic barbs and they really are beautiful and very energetic, friendly too at feeding time.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Temperate/sub tropical tank suggestions"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
8 Replies
Last post March 25, 2015, 04:58:20 PM
by WinterDusk
4 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 07:42:16 PM
by Aquamaid
18 Replies
Last post September 01, 2015, 10:01:16 PM
by GersBantamJR
5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2015, 09:26:58 PM
by GersBantamJR
19 Replies
Last post September 09, 2015, 09:18:02 AM
by Bubblychaz
7 Replies
Last post May 08, 2016, 08:58:35 PM
by Littlefish
15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 07:35:49 AM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: