Tank Upgrade Question

Author Topic: tank upgrade question  (Read 3520 times) 12 replies

Offline Wil7985

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
tank upgrade question
« on: November 14, 2016, 09:45:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Just got a used 125l tank, which is in a right mess, but was a freebie so can't complain. Could I clean the filter media in my old tank water and then place just the sponges' in my current tank while I clean the new tank, would that help when I start cycling the new tank ? I will use the water from my old tank to cycle the new one when I switch tanks, so it will be a fish in cycle I'm afraid.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Black Neon Tetra (4) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Tiger Barb (4) - Rosy Barb (5) - Black Molly (2) - Swordtail (female) (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: tank upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 07:56:24 AM »
Keeping the media in your current tank will help, depending on what condition it is in.
Has the tank been in use recently, or was the 125L left empty for a long time? If the filter has been left out of water/without food for a long time the bacteria may have died.
If there has been any known disease in the free tank don't put the media in your current tank in case it introduces anything nasty.
If the tank was in use until recently and there has been no known disease in the tank, then you could probably use it. If you put the media in your current tank the bacteria will probably go dormant because you already have enough bacteria in your current tank, but they won't die off, so they will be ready to spring back into action when you put them back into the clean 125L tank.
If there is any doubt about the condition of the media in the old filter you could replace it all with new, then when it comes to cycling your tank you can take up to a third of the media from your current tank (replacing it with new) and put it into the 125L tank filter to seed it and kick start your new cycle.

@Sue is our cycling expert, so get her advice before you use the old media.

Offline Wil7985

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 10:25:53 AM »
The 125L has only been empty 3 day and no disease, just filthy @Littlefish . My plan was to use my old tank water to clean it. In the meantime use some ammonia to hopefully keep it something like cycled .

Black Neon Tetra (4) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Tiger Barb (4) - Rosy Barb (5) - Black Molly (2) - Swordtail (female) (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »
It's great that you know that information about the tank.
I would have thought that moving the media to your current tank while you clean the tank should be fine.
As I say, check with Sue, or at least someone more experienced than me, in case I've forgotten something important.
 :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 01:09:01 PM »
Are you intending to moving all the fish to the new tank? If you do, you don't have to cycle the new tank once it is cleaned. All you need to do is move the old filter media into the new filter, adding some of the media that came with it to fill any gaps if it is in good enough condition. And move the fish and decor at the same time. Use the water from the old tank and top up with fresh water.

However, if you are intending to keep both tanks running, it is different. Before I type a whole load about what to do in this case, let us know your plans for the tanks.

Offline Wil7985

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 02:44:20 PM »
I'm going to transfer all my fish/Pl ants and decor the only things new will be substrate and filter @Sue .

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
In that case it is easy.

Get the new tank cleaned up to your satisfaction. If the filter is OK and you are happy to use the media, run it in the old tank during the clean up process.

Once you are happy put the new tank into position, put the substrate and decor in then start moving water over to the new tank from the old. It is easier to catch fish in a half empty tank. It might be easiest to remove all but the last couple of inches of water before catching the fish, as catching them will stir up muck into the water. Once the fish and as much clean water as possible is removed from the old tank add new water to fill the tank up.
As for the filter, since you don't know just how many bacteria are in the the new tank's media - it will be dependant on the amount of fish in this tank till a few days before you got it - I would use your old media because you know you have a lot of bacteria in there. Use the new tank's media to fill the spaces. Sponges can be cut up to make them fit.

If the new tank is going where the old one is now, it's a bit more complicated as you'll need to have enough containers to store all the old water and fish until you can swap the tanks around.

In the few days before the move feed the fish half rations, nothing on move day, and half rations again for a few days afterwards. You will lose the bacteria in the biofilm on the tank walls of the old tank, the substrate and any decor not being transferred. But you will gain bacteria from the filling-in bits of the new tank's media. Check for ammonia and nitrite daily after the move until you are certain they are both staying at zero.

With a bigger tank you will doubtless want more fish  :) Wait until everything has settled and you have had a week of double zeros. Then add more fish a few at a time. Aim for no more than a third of the fish already in the tank at one go.

I have upgraded from a 60 litre to a 125 litre, and several years later from the 125 to a 180 litre by using this method and have had no problems.

Offline Wil7985

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 04:34:32 PM »
Many thanks for the great advice.

Offline Wil7985

• Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 07:36:54 AM »
Had my new 125L running now for 2 days, put about 40 litres in from my old tank and topped up with treated tap water. Going to change over Saturday I will use around 60 litres from the old tank and also run my old filter as well as the new one, opinions please folks

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 10:03:22 AM »
That sounds fine. The filter in the old tank contains almost enough bacteria for the fish in that tank; there are some in the biofilm on every surface which won't be moved over. This is why I suggest half rations till move day, no food on that day then half rations again for a few days after. Less food = less ammonia.

As long as you bear in mind that the filter media should always be in the same tank as the fish you'll be fine. When you move the filter you can put the old media into the new tank's filter, that is a more effective way than running both filters.

Moving water over isn't as important as moving the filter media but it does mean the water will be what the fish are used to rather than all new water.

Offline Wil7985

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 05:20:40 AM »
I have been taking regular water tests since my change over and all have been fine. I have had both filters running for two weeks , how much longer do you think I should run both filters ?, or could/should I keep both running ? . Thanks in advance for your advice.

Offline Sue

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 09:46:21 AM »
The thing is, the bacteria in the old filter will stay there. There is nothing making them move to the new filter. If you remove the old one, there will still be a lot of bacteria in that one. This is why it is better to move the old media into the new filter. And with old media in actual physical contact with the new media, they will migrate into the new media more easily. If you could squash even a bit of the old media into the new filter even after two weeks it would help.

I would wait at least 2 months before doing anything with the old filter. Then remove a portion of the old media - up to a quarter - wait a week then remove another bit, wait a week.... and so on till you can remove the last portion plus the filter casing. Keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite between removals.

Offline Wil7985

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2016, 04:17:13 AM »
Thanks @Sue for the explanation I was thinking the new filter would pick up bacteria from the water/plants etc (doh). When I started the new media I did give it a squeeze with my old filter media, but no worries I will keep both filters running.   

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "tank upgrade question "

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 08:21:21 AM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post May 01, 2014, 10:07:17 AM
by Sue
5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2014, 10:07:34 PM
by fdm
2 Replies
Last post January 02, 2015, 12:54:05 AM
by CoronaFish
7 Replies
Last post January 13, 2015, 07:34:27 PM
by fishcake76
83 Replies
Last post September 08, 2016, 11:57:33 AM
by Fiona
11 Replies
Last post March 10, 2017, 10:40:29 AM
by Paddyc

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: