Getting New Fish

Author Topic: Getting new fish  (Read 6418 times) 22 replies

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
Re: Getting new fish
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 06:15:12 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
So I got some Pygmy Cory today.
Went straight to lfs after school run, and remembered that there is another maidenhead aquatics slightly nearer to Cardiff that I hadn't been to yet, and it's on the way to the Caerphilly one.
So went there.
First impressions were good... HUGE marine tank with lots of lovely fish that I recognise from swimming with them! (They looked a lot bigger then)
Lots and lots of very large tanks with oak stands that were very expensive but looked great, a huge supply of everything in packets and boxes that you need for fish keeping, I didn't need anything. Plenty of fish too, seemed very keen on marine. Prices were a bit confusing! £4 each for White Cloud Mountain minnows. (They didn't call them that, is there an identical fish that's more expensive?) but then 12 neons for £10.
I didn't find any dwarf cory there so headed on to my usual shop. The assistant recognised me..."you keep nano fish don't you?" I like the sound of that!
I got six in the end. No obvious problems with them when I was acclimating them. They are really very small, smaller that the CPD's and some of the larger ember tetra. They also seem more outgoing, not that I have spent much time with them, they are in the living room, which is where the kids are watching annoying kids tv, roll on bedtime.

Offline Puffin

• Rocking Fishy Member
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »
Hi everyone, not been on here in a while, been fairly uneventful here.
Sadly though, four of the Pygmy cories I bought back in September have died. They are a really lovely fish, but I wonder now if my water conditions are quite right for them. Or maybe it's because I needed to rethink my feeding regimen.
Previously I fed flake, flake, frozen bloodworm, starve day, crushed pea, flake, flake, frozen daphnia, starve day etc.
But I didn't figure that the Pygmy cories may not be eating on flake or pea day, so I got some sinking pellets and now feed them on flake days.
The snails are loving them!
Also a couple of days ago the pump on my shrimp tank gave up, so my shrimp are in the aquanano too.
Ie 10 (ish) ember tetra, two CPD (found another dessicated jumper behind the sideboard recently) 2 Pygmy cory, 4 amano shrimp.
I also wonder if there could have been something wrong with the cories.  On three occasions I saw a fish acting crazy, going up and down the tank, flipping into its back, playing dead on the sand, then swimming away normally. The next day after this I found a dead fish. I've assumed it was the same one. The other missing cory has just disappeared without trace.
I've googled this behaviour without much of a result.
What do you think... Is there something obvious to you guys that I'm doing wrong? Water changes are 20%weekly, ammonia and nitrite always zero.

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »
I do wonder if cories are getting weaker these days.
I have some pygmies; I got them in mid 2012, two died within a week and the rest have vanished one at a time until I had three left (and I've just got 5 more).
They share a tank with Sundadanios and cherry shrimps. Pygmy cories are much more suited to my tapwater than sundadanios, which need much more acidic and softer water than I have. But apart from a couple that died just after purchase, the sundadanios are thriving while the cories die.
This does say something about the health of cories  :-\

You could try getting some more cories, and feed them pellets this time  ;) I feed  crushed pellets, flake and shrimp pellets to my tank.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Getting new fish"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
Fat Fish

Started by Chucklett « 1 2 » Fish Health

34 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 06:56:08 PM
by Chucklett
15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 06:38:36 PM
by Chucklett
10 Replies
Last post December 03, 2012, 07:05:39 PM
by Chucklett
8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2014, 10:45:54 PM
by SteveS
0 Replies
Last post February 25, 2014, 11:01:05 AM
by Robert
1 Replies
Last post July 21, 2023, 07:20:19 PM
by Hampalong
0 Replies
Last post April 16, 2024, 06:18:23 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: