« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 03:26:27 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Okay cool, thanks Sue :) So final stocking list:
8 honey gouramis (6 females, 2 males)
3 Cockatoo cichlids (2 females, 1 male)
8 Panda cories
6 otocinclus
15 Rummynose tetras
Should this all work fine? Obviously I won't add too many more fish until I can start moving the others into my 60L, but I'd like to know what I'm aiming for :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Tank mates for my upgraded tank
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 10:26:09 AM »
That sounds fine.

You will find the community creator warns that honey gouramis may be too delicate to mix with dwarf cichlids. I have had them both in the same tank with no problems.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 12:49:35 PM »
I definitely feel like I'm up for the challenge but i will make sure I set the tank up well and watch them carefully :) I was at the fish store today and I saw some absolutely fabulous looking kribs. I ruled them out because I thought they would be too aggressive when spawning for a smallish tank, but my parents said they kept them with other cichlids in a community tank with no problems. Is it worth considering keeping them instead of the apistos? Or would they rip my cories up?

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2014, 01:55:44 PM »
To be honest, I don't know. I've never had kribs so I can only go by what I read.
But I do agree, kribs are gorgeous looking fish.

I think I read that with kribs it's the female that chooses a male. If you decide on them, it's worth watching the tank for a short while before buying to see if you can identify a pair.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2014, 02:20:22 PM »
Alternatively, you could try to get two females. Kribs are said to be peaceful, in fact rather shy, except when breeding when the male can terrorise the tank. With two females, they would never breed and females are the more colourful in this species.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2014, 02:00:01 AM »
Hmmm I would really like to try breeding them because the behavior is so interesting. I did read that they're also a bit picky when it comes to mates so I'll definitely make sure I get an already established pair. Do you know how often they breed though?

Offline Richard W

« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2014, 07:09:45 AM »
I think how often they breed depends on their conditions. They would probably breed more often if conditioned on live foods.
However, don't forget that even these smaller cichlids can turn very territorial when breeding and may become very aggressive towards other fish in the tank. Also, what about the fry? You will have to give them special food when they are young. And what will you do with them? Your LFS may take them, but not until they have grown considerably. Would your tank have enough spare capacity to cope with say 50 to 100 extra fish of 3 cms or so? Kribs can lay up to 300 eggs.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2014, 07:54:17 AM »
Haha such practical questions! To be honest I kind of assumed all the fry would actually be eaten? That's what happened in my parents' tank anyway. Are the kribs good enough parents that that doesn't happen very often? I definitely don't have room for even twenty baby kribs.

Offline Richard W

« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »
Yep, I'm pretty well-known for asking the awkward questions, it's always important to consider the possible downside of things as well as the vision of the beautiful tank and community of fish you hope for  :)
The other fish you are proposing are pretty small, Kribs will defend their young and they may well survive until they are big enough not to be eaten by these. Maybe your parents had bigger fish in their tank?

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2014, 09:43:09 AM »
Yeah, that's a really good point. They did have a few pretty aggressive fish in that tank... sometimes I wonder how they didn't have more problems :/ I might just have to get two females. That's not unfair to them, is it? Like deep in their psyche they won't miss not having the chance to mate? My fiance keeps trying to assure me that fish are essentially like plants, but I find that really hard to believe!

Offline Richard W

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2014, 10:02:50 AM »
Lots of people keep only male guppies, male or female platies, single male bettas etc. none of which get the chance to mate. I suspect that they are a lot more frustrated than a couple of female kribs would be.

After a great deal of heart searching I eventually rejected getting any cichlids in any of my tanks for the very reason that they might be OK until mating time and then become aggressive.

Offline AndreaC

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2014, 10:11:22 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty risk averse as well but I'd so desperately like to try having cichlids... I worry so much about my cories though and would be devastated if they got hurt by another fish because I was negligent. Would kribs be okay in a 60L by themselves for a while if I had to move them in a hurry? I guess the first question I really need to ask my fish shop is whether they'll take the kribs (or any baby kribs) back if they start causing problems.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank mates for my upgraded tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
1 Replies
Last post October 16, 2012, 08:50:38 AM
by Sue
8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 05:40:47 PM
by Christine Snape
16 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 10:07:31 AM
by biffster
5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2016, 10:10:55 PM
by Cichlidman
59 Replies
Last post November 14, 2016, 09:07:12 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post December 03, 2016, 08:57:13 PM
by suzie61
3 Replies
Last post November 23, 2019, 12:06:40 PM
by Littlefish

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: