Stocking Suggestions 55 Litre Fish Tank

Author Topic: Stocking Suggestions 55 Litre Fish Tank  (Read 18387 times) 36 replies

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Stocking Suggestions 55 Litre Fish Tank
« on: April 26, 2017, 10:13:09 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi there! I have a question I was hoping someone may be able to help with haha.

I'll be getting a pair of rams for my 55l. My water is naturally hard so I'll be softening the water of this tank. I'd also like to keep some celestial pearl rasbora. I used the tool on this site and it suggested that with 2 rams and 10 rasbora i'd be 50% stocked, but this seems like a lot of fish? My tank is very heavily planted with bog wood and a sandy substrate. The temperature is at 26.5c at present (the rasbora near me are fine in warmer water!). Would I be able to have some neons in this too? Or should I go for more rasbora? Would neons be better in general than the rasbora? I plan on adding shrimp once there's more algal growth.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Stocking Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 10:39:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Celestial pearl danios / galaxy rasbora are increasingly being recommended on some other 'bona fide' websites as being kept in large groups - as many as 20+. For that reason, I'd err on having more of those rather than a shoal of something different. Additionally, neon tetras are very sensitive these days and are best added to a tank that is mature (eg 6-9+ months).

Hope that helps.

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:46:22 PM »
Thanks!

Would a 55 litre be able to take 2 rams and a shoal that large? The tool puts me into amber with 20 rasbora, so I'd be very loath to do that when rams can be so temperamental. The tool suggests 15 would be the maximum I could keep whilst staying in the green. Do you think this would work or is it too many?

Cheers for the help :fishy1:

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 06:36:10 AM »
Hi there and welcome to the forum.  :wave:

You could always start with 15, then increase your numbers at a later date. I have done that with some of mine, many months later. However, I have hard water and don't have any experience with rams or rasbora, so probably better to get some advice from those that do.  :)

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 08:47:30 AM »
I agree - best to go with 15, at least for now.
:fishy1:

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 08:54:45 AM »
Great! I'll start with 15 and if everyone's happy after a couple of months I'll be adding 5 more.

I actually have hard water myself @Littlefish I'll just be softening the water in this tank for them. I'll be looking for stocking options on a harder water 130l I'll be setting up soon 👍

Thanks again guys!

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »
I too would go for more cpds rather than a third species.

Can I ask a couple of questions.
How do you intend to soften the water?
Do you know about fishless cycling?
Do you know that rams need to choose their own mates, and how to select a bonded pair from the shop tank?

OK, so that's four questions not two  ;D

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 09:19:17 AM »
Hi sue,

I'll be buying RO water and using almond leaves, alder cones, and driftwood as well as a blackwater agent if needed. I'm looking at an RO device for myself I'm just trying to work out if I attach it to a tap or have to plumb it in (advice here would be helpful actually).

The tank is already cycled housing a betta and some endler hybrids (not ideal due to temp differences but the endlers are going back to the store soon and are just in there now to keep bacteria levels up). The betta is going into his own 22l when it cycles. I've been trying to get mature media to help this.

I do know about ram pairing so I'll be looking for a pre bonded pair or I'll be getting a few juveniles, letting a pair form, and then swapping the spare juveniles for the danio.

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:23:16 AM »
I hope you didn't mind me asking  :) Some people seem to think that adding pH down or some such will also soften water  :o

You know what you are doing so I didn't need to worry  :D

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »
There is another stocking plan to think about. Since cpds are fine in hard water, keep them for the hard water tank and put cardinal tetras in the 55 litre with the rams. One advantage is that rams like water a bit on the warm side, the same as rams.
Though you may already have a stock list planned for the hard water tank  ;)

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 09:37:08 AM »
I absolutely wouldn't be adverse to some cardinals, especially if it means I can have a bigger group of cpd in my larger tank ;) Would I be looking at similar numbers of stocking in the cardinals or should I go a few less.

I don't mind you checking my knowledge at all! I'm not new to the hobby though, I just fell out of it on the year CPDs were introduced to the hobby since a family member thought putting a pair of very mature blind cave fish with my CPDs was smart (CPDs were very rare and expensive at the time). Needless to say i had some very fat cave fish and no CPDs by the end of it :vcross:

I'll just have to do more research on this RO system and try to find some mature filter media. That stuff is as rare as hen's teeth!

Offline Sue

Re: Stocking Suggestions 55 Litre Fish Tank
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 09:46:23 AM »
I would go with fewer cardinals than cpds as they are bigger fish. 10 should be OK.

Have you seen this thread https://forums.thinkfish.co.uk/fishtank-filtration-and-cycling/list-of-members-willing-to-donate-mature-media-for-cycling/
Considering the night time temperatures at the moment, it might be better to wait a few days before posting any media though.

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 09:53:13 AM »
Yeah I'd assumed 10 would be more in line. Had the tank been more mature I'd have gone for neons ::)

I hadn't seen that thread! I'll drop you a note in the next week or so if it warms up; that'll be a great help. I'll be keeping spare mature media in Harvey's tank (my betta) once it's going so this won't be an issue in future. The filter in my 55l just didn't permit it so easily, especially given I'm going to need to take the active carbon out and put more sponge or ceramic in  :-\

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 11:43:32 AM »
 :isay: Has anyone else ever had to explain to their family that yes, I really do need to buy this 'fancy fish water' and no 'they can't just go in the tap stuff' ::) Just had the joys of that and got some disgruntled sighs.

Found out my local fish store sells RO water for £2 per 25l. Given I do 25% water changes weekly if I buy 50l that's basically going to last me two months assuming I can use half and half with tap. I need to check my GH though :o Honestly, it's probably easier to just do this vs buying something I'm not really sure how to fit to my shower :fishy1:

Offline fish-friends

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 08:12:48 PM »
I've never had the water conversation but when I told my friends how cool it felt to have a shrimp on my hand I got the same sighs!  ;D

Offline Sue

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 08:20:36 PM »
It also occurs to me to ask how high nitrate is in your tap water? Rams are nitrate sensitive fish and if you have nitrate at near the legal maximum of 50 ppm you'll need to use a fair amount of RO water to keep nitrate low.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2017, 08:51:18 PM »
Sorry to cut in on this, but what dimensions are your 55l? I have an Aquanano 40 which is 55l, but as it's cube shaped, it's just 40cm long. Cardinals are beautiful, but in a tank of that size I'd go for the smaller Green Neons (Paracheirodon simulans). They also like the softer water and their smaller size would allow for a larger shoal.

If you want to avoid the hassle of RO water, you could keep Apistogramma hongsloi instead of Rams. They're suited to the smaller aquarium and hard water. They'd look great with a school of Nannostomus beckfordi.

As you seem to have done you're research I'm guessing you're aware of Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Celestichthys erythromicron), a beautiful small fish that adores hard water. Pseudomugil species are also great in small hard water tanks.

Good luck whichever route you choose!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2017, 09:27:09 PM »
I hadn't thought of the dimensions  :-[ Because I had a 50 litre tank that was 60 cm long, I tend to think in those terms.

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2017, 10:39:41 PM »
Sorry to cut in on this, but what dimensions are your 55l? I have an Aquanano 40 which is 55l, but as it's cube shaped, it's just 40cm long. Cardinals are beautiful, but in a tank of that size I'd go for the smaller Green Neons (Paracheirodon simulans). They also like the softer water and their smaller size would allow for a larger shoal.

If you want to avoid the hassle of RO water, you could keep Apistogramma hongsloi instead of Rams. They're suited to the smaller aquarium and hard water. They'd look great with a school of Nannostomus beckfordi.

As you seem to have done you're research I'm guessing you're aware of Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Celestichthys erythromicron), a beautiful small fish that adores hard water. Pseudomugil species are also great in small hard water tanks.

Good luck whichever route you choose!

We actually have the same tank, and you raise a very good point. I think that's probably why I considered the CPD in retrospect. I don't mind the RO water route because I just adore rams; they're my favourite freshwater fish outside of Betta.

I'm not too keen on the EDR personally, but thank you for the suggestion! I've been toying with the idea of Apistogramma hongsloi in the larger hard water tank I'll be setting up. I don't like them quite as much as rams but they're a very very close second :)) I think I'll take your advice on the green neons though; what would you suggest for them # wise? I'm not totally familiar with that specific fish. They look to reach similar sizes to the neons though so would it be suggested to have about 15 of these little guys?

It also occurs to me to ask how high nitrate is in your tap water? Rams are nitrate sensitive fish and if you have nitrate at near the legal maximum of 50 ppm you'll need to use a fair amount of RO water to keep nitrate low.

6.46 ppm, so I think I should be good? Nitrite is 0.009 if that's any relevance.

edit;

actually here's my water in general

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 12:19:39 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Harvey decided to come up and have a bit of a pose when I went to turn the light off so I thought I'd show you the tank that'll be for the rams etc once the current chaps move to their permanent homes. I'll be buying a heater cover tomorrow though Harvey doesn't hug the heater, he prefers the plants so it's not really an issue.

The marimo will be going into other tanks with some java moss going onto the wood in here. Maybe on small rocks. Haven't decided yet!

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking Suggestions 55 Litre Fish Tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
by Kirstos
3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 06:08:12 PM
by Tim_b65
9 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 12:39:05 PM
by Fiona
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 04:13:16 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2021, 01:43:46 PM
by ElinorMc

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: