Stocking Suggestions 55 Litre Fish Tank

Author Topic: Stocking Suggestions 55 Litre Fish Tank  (Read 18505 times) 36 replies

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Stocking Suggestions 55 Litre Fish Tank
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 08:01:13 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello Harvey  :wave:
You are a very handsome chap.

Offline Sue

Re: Stocking Suggestions
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
The tank is already cycled housing a betta and some endler hybrids (not ideal due to temp differences but the endlers are going back to the store soon and are just in there now to keep bacteria levels up). The betta is going into his own 22l when it cycles. I've been trying to get mature media to help this.

I'm a bit slow but I have just read about the betta, then noticed this in a previous post. You can take some media from the tank the betta is currently in to kick start the cycle in the 22 litre tank.

Your nitrate level is good. In a lot of the country the nitrate level is very high and if you had been in one in those areas you might have had to use a higher proportion of RO just to get nitrate down for the rams.

Green neon tetras are almost all wild caught so will need to be kept close to their preferred water parameters of 18 - 143 ppm hardness and 3.0 - 6.5 pH. I have kept these fish in the past and my GH is about 90 but the pH is 7.5 and they were OK in that as hardness is more important than pH.
I would get a GH tester to check your tap/RO mixture is at the right level (below 10 german deg or 180 ppm)

Green neons are the smallest of the three pracheirodons and they are the bluest as the stripe goes right into the tail; though they have the least red of the three. They may be called green neons but they only look greeny blue when the light catches them at a particular angle - when you look down on them.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 09:50:46 PM »
The green neons look great and they're definitely smaller than neons. Personally I'd start with a dozen and see how you go.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »
Ember tetras would work as well - they are smaller than green neons, and about the same size as celestial pearl danios. Their colour is usually washed out in shop tanks, but once they settle in they are deep orange. I've had ember tetras too  :)

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2017, 10:06:12 PM »
So! When I went to my local fish store to pick up some bloodworm I was shown some rams which, according to them, are happy in our local tap water. I was a bit sceptical but they've always been reliable in the past so I took them on their word at this. Came away with a little GBR female and an electric blue male. They're glued to each other which is sweet. Very pleased with the little boy since he's displaying very nice juvenile colours vs the bright cobalt you see in chain lfs stock. Harvey got aggressive pretty much immediately (expected) so I split the media in the aqua one filter with some safe start and just popped him right into his own 22l. All the levels are checking out so I'll just keep an eye on it; he seems happy and his usual active self.

The rams are settling in very well though they were very nervous yesterday, especially the boy who'd go dark pretty much immediately when I went near the tank. Now he's swimming to the front when he sees me begging for food; he's a bit roughed up and looks like he'd been bullied by the other rams he was with, but he's very active today. I've ordered a fluval U2 for my 55l since the filter in it was honestly just awful to open up for cleaning. I'm running both filters for a while until the U2 builds up what it needs. I'll be adding some fish with the rams at some point but right now I'm just seeing how they go since they're supposedly so ok with my local water. A little apprehensive about this though.

Offline MarquisMirage

• Super Subscriber!
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 03:46:52 PM »
If your lfs is getting the rams from a local breeder or has raised them themselves from fry they will indeed be better adjusted to your local water.  If you get adult fish and breed them yourself the offspring will have far less water issues than the original adults as they are used to the water from the get go.

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2017, 10:45:25 PM »
 :o  Back again. The rams are still going strong and are clearly a mated pair. They're showing some really cool behaviour.

I currently have five chili rasbora in the tank with them (ended up with them sort of unintentionally) and a baby lemon longfin bristlenose which I'm growing out in there. What I'd like to know is how many chili's should I have that'd still allow me to try neons. The tanks been running for a couple of months now and if it's supporting rams I'd like to think neons would be possible. What numbers would I be looking at for the neons?

Also, at what point should I be moving the bristle into a bigger tank? It's only about 5cm right now not including tail.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 07:10:09 AM »
You could easily go with 8 neons, 8 rasbora, 2 rams long term. This would put you at 87% stocked. However, this does not factor in the bristlenose or the age of your tank (higher stocking levels are only recommended on a mature tank). You might want to consider getting the extra chilli rasbora too as they will be more confident in a larger group being such a small fish.

Regarding the bristlenose, you can technically keep him there until he is something like half / two thirds of the width of the tank- the point at which it become hard for him to move around. But this will prevent your plans above as he will add a lot of bioload to the tank being a big fish.

Hope that helps.

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2017, 02:16:31 PM »
Do you think it'd be worth running 10 rasbora, 8 neons, and 2 rams? The tank is heavily planted with a 110 litre rated filter.

I'll probably just move my bristle as soon as I have the larger tank. I got her mostly because she was small, a reasonable price, and I knew she'd currently fit. She's loving all the wood ::) Alternatively could she live in there longer and the rasbora go into the larger tank in a bigger shoal? And then have 1 bristle, 2 rams, and 8 neons?

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2017, 08:37:46 PM »
Both your ideas would also work  :cheers:

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 09:39:14 PM »
Sorry for all the questions. Would I be able to keep the bristle in there until size became her issue if i had embers and the little rasbora? The tank will actually be going right by my computer so I don't need bright flash fish for it to be interesting, I'm just fond of movement and interesting behaviour. My priority is the rams really; keeping them fit and healthy in my harder water is my overall goal so obviously everything in the tank needs to be good for everything in there haha.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 10:28:35 PM »
Yes, but have you tried using the community creator tool on this site? You'll be able to play around with different ideas until you settle on a way forwards...

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »
Yeah but I can't see Chili rasbora on it ???

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 08:25:47 AM »
Just substitute for a similarly sized fish such as ember tetra/celestial pearl danio

Offline Sue

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 09:40:34 AM »
I have to substitute fish in the CC.

I have some chili rasboras. At least, that's what they were labelled as, but they are so small I think they are actually Boraras urophthalmoides, a very similar but smaller species. Shops sometimes sell the latter as sparrow rasboras.
I also have some of the slightly larger B. maculatus.
I don't have many of these fish, they are the last survivors of their shoals. There were in the 50 litre tank I had to close down so they are now in my 180 litre tank where I hardly ever see them as there is a lot of wood and plants in the bigger tank.

Some info on these 'microrasboras' here

Offline Harbremily

• Fishy Member
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2017, 05:16:29 PM »
Is the bioload for the Chili really equal to a cpd though? Whilst they can reach the same length the Chili is still much smaller a CPD makes 2 of a Chili from what what I've seen of them :o

I'm sure it's the Barati I have, I've been looking up what I can about them. I've seen people saying 3-4 Chili produce a similar bioload to a neon ???

Offline Sue

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2017, 05:23:02 PM »
I'm sure it's the Barati I have

Do you mean brigittae?

I would say they have less bioload than a cpd because the body is so much thinner. Maybe not half the bioload but I'd use 4 cpds for every 6 chili rasboras in the CC. (Cpds being smaller than neons)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking Suggestions 55 Litre Fish Tank"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
by Kirstos
3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 06:08:12 PM
by Tim_b65
9 Replies
Last post November 06, 2014, 12:39:05 PM
by Fiona
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 04:13:16 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post September 04, 2021, 01:43:46 PM
by ElinorMc

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: