Stocking Options 55 Gallon - Brendenjames

Author Topic: Stocking options 55 gallon - Brendenjames  (Read 4620 times) 11 replies

Offline Brendenjames8

• Fishy Contributor
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Stocking options 55 gallon - Brendenjames
« on: July 10, 2016, 02:17:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hey guys. So I have an established 55 gallon freshwater tank. (Keep in mind, I will be upgrading to at least a 100 gallon in the next few months) I have had this tank set up for a while and currently have a gold severum, a Rainbow Shark, a Clown Pleco, and 4 white skirt tetras. My gold severum is about 3-4 inches. The rainbow shark is full grown, as are the tetras. Ive been having some issues finding a good addition. A couple weeks ago I purchased a blood parrot because after some research I thought it might do well wth my severum. I was sadly mistaken. My severum tormented him constantly till I eventually had to take him back to my local LFS. I then thought that trying something that might be able to hold its own would be a good idea and after chatting with the guy at my LFS, I went home with a Convict Cichlid. Again, bad idea. But this time, the convict was too aggressive for my severum. Has anyone ever had a severum that was too aggressive for the more peaceful cichlids but not aggressive enough for the more aggressive ones and have some viable/successful stocking options for me? I have done some research and thought maybe a blue accra would be an okay option? I would really like to add another cichlid but don't want to make another decision without some more input. Thanks in advance!

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Rainbow Shark (1) - Severum (1) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Pearl Gourami (1) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Yoyo Loach (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Littlefish

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • aka Donna
Re: Stocking options 55 gallon
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 02:32:38 PM »
These are all fish that I don't have any experience of.
When some of the more experienced keepers are on the forum later I'm sure that they'll be able to help.  :)

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 03:13:19 PM »
I've only ever had dwarf cichlids so I don't have experience of the larger ones. But it does sound like the severum has decided the tank belongs to him as far as other cichlids are concerned. It could be the convict didn't take kindly to the severum's attitude and got in there first.

Looking at Seriously Fish, it comments
Some specimens can develop a nasty streak as they mature when maintained singly
I wonder if this is what happened with yours. I would be reluctant to try any more cichlids with this severum. Maybe when you upgrade, try a blue acara as soon as the 100 gall is set up; that is, before the severum has chance to decide the new tank is his.
And in the meantime, maybe increase the number of white skirts.

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 07:47:08 PM »
I've not owned cichlids but I read somewhere (I can't for the life of me remember where though) if you remove the established fish and you change the layout of the tank, then add the new fish to the tank first it gets round the established territory issues. Hope that's slightly helpful.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 08:12:18 PM »
This is a good shout and absolutely correct, remove the fish, rearrange and replace with the new fish first.  :cheers:

Offline Brendenjames8

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 08:16:24 PM »
@Fiona ad @Matt thanks for the advice! That is a good idea, that I had not thought of. Now the next question is, what might be a good option for an addition? I don't know if adding another Severum would be a good idea. But I was thinking maybe blue accra? Since they are smaller and may not be seen as much as a threat, especially if added before him. Any thoughts?

And @Sue I think you are right. He was raised by himself and I think he now feels he owns the tank and is being territorial, however uncharacteristic of a Severum.

Rainbow Shark (1) - Severum (1) - Dwarf Plec / Peckoltia (1) - Pearl Gourami (1) - Black Widow Tetra (10) - Yoyo Loach (4) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 08:25:50 PM »
I'm also used to dwarf cichlids and have no experience with their larger cousins.  Sorry  :-\

Offline Brendenjames8

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 08:32:13 PM »
No worries @Matt I appreciate any input given. Thanks! Do you happen to know anyone that knows a bit more about the bigger cichlids that you could link that may be able to help me out a little?

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 09:08:57 PM »
probably @Evolution Stu

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 10:05:27 AM »
Hi,
Sorry for teh delay, ive been mad busy at work with 18+hr days for a week so I forgot all about this tag when I saw the email.

Im afraid ive never had a Severum but in general, if a fish is teritorial very little will change that. You could try some peaceful Cichlids like Geophagus but im guessing nothings going to change the nature of your severum. The convict was a swing too far, beutiful fish but I never had anything but trouble with mine... really aggressive and dont care how big others are, they will try and fight them.

Its a really tricky one to overcome and im afraid all you can do is suck it and see... I had to get rid of my two Altifrons last week for this very reason, they decided to take up a whole "line of sight" territory and thus rled the tank aggressively. They are not known to be aggressive but thats the nature of Cichlids, with their nice character comes individuality.

Ive now got an issue with a tiny 4cm Bolivian Ram who thinks hes Godzilla! Constantly pecking at my much larger Tapajos Redheads who are so unbothered they carry on eating while hes ramming them from the side. Bizzare behaviour... but one day I guess the little guy will fit in his mouth, which will be a swift sharp end to his reign as king of the tank. LOL

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 05:16:41 PM »
Cichlids are very much individual characters aren't they  ::)

Offline Evolution Stu

• Fishy Member
Re: Stocking options 55 gallon - Brendenjames
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
Cichlids are very much individual characters aren't they  ::)

Yeah, thats what I like about them.
Usually...

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking options 55 gallon - Brendenjames"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 07:22:13 PM
by Kirstos
7 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 08:24:33 PM
by Robert
9 Replies
Last post July 11, 2014, 03:33:20 PM
by Sue
35 Replies
Last post July 15, 2014, 07:22:16 AM
by Robert
8 Replies
Last post May 23, 2017, 10:38:39 PM
by Ironside79
7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2018, 08:45:38 PM
by Bazza2000
9 Replies
Last post February 09, 2020, 02:46:33 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: