Stocking Levels

Author Topic: Stocking levels  (Read 4327 times) 6 replies

Offline Richard W

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
Stocking levels
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:21:26 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've noticed that some people here seem to regard the stocking guide on Thinkfish as over generous and suggest that stocking levels should be below this. However, this is obviously in disagreement with the article on stocking levels which says “our guides are actually very cautious”. I wonder why there is this disagreement?

Personally, I tend to agree with the Thinkfish article. After all, we used to keep fish years ago based more or less on the 1 cm/litre guide with very poor or no filtration. Contrary to what one might expect, they didn't die or suffer from any apparent ill effects. With the addition of even the “standard” level of modern filtration more than 1 cm/litre should be easily supported. The Thinkfish article is obviously correct in also noting that there are several factors to be taken into consideration.

Although I have numerous aquarium books, from the 1950s to the present, most of which repeat the same “old” formula, I have yet to find any explanation of its origin. Has anybody ever actually conducted any experimental work on this? Or is it just another example of “received wisdom” passed down the years, the origins of which are lost? Was it just guesswork from the beginning?

Offline ColinB

Re: Stocking levels
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:28:36 AM »
mmmm - I'm not sure about the 'historic' part of these guidelines..... however; in my tank (40cm cube, 55litres, reasonable amount of live plants and huge filtration capacity) when my stocking level was at 56% (easily in the green) then my nitrates kept low (5-10ppm) with a weekly 10litre water change.

When I added 6 lemon tetras the stocking level went up to 74% (in the yellow) and my monthly play with the chemistry set showed my nitrates creeping up. So I've had to alternate between 10 and 20litres for my weekly change to keep the nitrates comfortably in the 10 to 20ppm range. Thames water kindly give me huge amounts of nitrate in my tap water so I use a 2 parts RO to 3 parts tap water mix to keep the hardness to ~10° and the nitrates around 10-20ppm.

I've also - just an hour ago - put in some Hygrophila polysperma as it's reputed to be one of the best nitrate eaters around. I've also added some LED lights and started weekly plant feeds to encourage lots of growth both to remove nitrates and out-compete algae. My plants were looking a bit brown and sorry for themselves, but the results are too soon to tell.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:27:08 PM »
It's a bit of a hangover from the old forum.
Bit of back history - Thinkfish was on a different host until spring 2012. There were problems with the host (the site had been running very slowly for some months, and sometimes it wouldn't even load at all) and the owner of Thinkfish was given a week to find a new host as they blamed the size of the database and Community Creator for the problem. He managed to save everything but the forum and CC. Six months later when the forum reappeared, the owner had rebuilt the CC with a few changes.
One of these changes was that he reduced the maximum stocking that a given tank was 'allowed' in response to criticism from other forums that stick rigidly to the "1 inch per US gallon" rule; that equates to 0.67cm fish per litre, a third less fish than 1cm per litre. The CC was very overgenerous in its first incarnation, and some of us oldies tend to forget that the current CC is not as generous as the old one  :-[

I personally am also guilty of telling newcomers to the hobby to stock less than the CC says they can have to stop them going overboard for the first few months. Once they've got some experience, yes they can go up to the CC limit, and possibly beyond, as they will then have got to grips with tank maintenance and be familiar enough with their fish to know when something is wrong.

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 02:52:29 PM »
I've only recently returned to fishkeeping and have followed the CC recommendations quite closely over the 6 months that my tank has been going and am now 'in the yellow'. If anything I've probably stocked a little faster than it recommended and did see a relatively small increase in Nitrates month 3 but it settled back down pretty quickly. I don't think new or inexperienced fishkeepers can go far wrong with the CC really.

Offline ColinB

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 03:08:23 PM »
After posting my post above, I noticed that the levels in the filter compartments were all wrong and so I pulled out the large piece of black sponge that's first in line and squeezed that in some of the old tank water that I'd (fortuitously) been too lazy to throw on the plants. The filter's working fine now. I can't remember when I last squeezed the sponge out (a good 6 months, I'm sure - so before I got my tetras) so I wonder if it's slowly been blocking up and reducing the filtration efficiency over the past few months?

In the compartment following the sponge is this: Bio-home mini-ultra. If the flow is reduced then it's Nitrate removing capability is compromised.

Note to self: Squeeze filter sponge once a month.

Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline daniel_james_taylor

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 06:47:08 PM »

Hi Colin, remember if you cut the sponge in half its easier to remove  :fishy1:

Offline ColinB

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 08:04:46 AM »

Hi Colin, remember if you cut the sponge in half its easier to remove  :fishy1:

Hi Daniel - I remembered that I as was balancing on top of the steps trying to get it out without causing too much mess.  :-[

I might try that next time. As it was, I just wanted the clean sponge back in and the filter up and running as it had been off for a couple of hours already.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking levels"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 12:58:44 PM
by Sue
16 Replies
Last post March 07, 2014, 02:38:33 PM
by fishcake76
18 Replies
Last post July 10, 2014, 06:39:43 AM
by Annie
9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2014, 12:20:53 PM
by ColinB
13 Replies
Last post February 23, 2015, 03:08:56 AM
by brian c
8 Replies
Last post March 01, 2015, 09:32:01 PM
by Helen
3 Replies
Last post October 28, 2022, 06:52:31 PM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: