Author Topic: Stocking ideas  (Read 12412 times) 98 replies

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Re: Stocking ideas
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 08:07:20 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The Discus option was the one that didn't make sense to me.

Option 1 I think was they get on but depends on water parameters etc which make sense. Interesting about the gouramis, might find a home in Tank 1 for a couple.

Option 2 I can live without.

Option 5 is possible.

Option 4 I am learning more about cichlids. Have seen a lovely tank with Mbuna cichlids in, 20 in a 240 litre tank which I really like the look of. Possibly an option but doing a little bit more research.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 08:30:02 PM »
Mbuna need hard alkaline water. In nature they each claim a  hole in the rocks as their ‘home’, but to keep them in a tank they need to be crowded, with more holes-in-rocks than fish, so that one fish can’t become dominant and claim the tank. They provide a very colourful tank... and can’t usually be kept with other fish in anything but a huge tank.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2020, 09:15:58 PM »
I think I have sorted tank 1, 125 litres 80cm.

6 Cherry Barb
1 Dwarf Gourami
12 Harlequin Rasboras
10 Neon Tetras

Tank showing 75% capacity.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2020, 09:58:01 PM »
Lovely choices (and no need for minerals ie Aquadur in that tank).  :cheers:
Only comment I have might be around the dwarf gourami - I'm not sure how prevalent the iridovirus is these days but, if it is still problematic, then an alternative option to it might be a single honey gourami. A useful read is here, though: https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/lets-hear-it-for-the-dwarf-gourami/

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2020, 10:22:44 PM »
I did see something about that, will give the article a read.

A very interesting read @fcmf . Thanks. Seems it is extra important to check health of fish before purchase. Will have a think and keep honey gouramis in my thoughts as well.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2020, 07:18:50 PM »
Hi all

After a little more information. However firstly tank 1 (125 litre) I have decided on the following:-

12 Harlequins
12 Neons
4 Panda Cory
Either a Dwarf or Honey Gourami (although creator suggest 2 or more Honey's is that right?)

Now other tanks I have come up with the following possibles.

Tank 2 (125l)
6 Odessa Barbs
6 Ruby Barbs
6 Cherry Barbs

In tank 3 (200l) I could have 9 or 10 of each.

OR

Tank 3

15 Angelfish

OR

In tank 2

10 Molly
10 Platy
10 Guppy

In tank 3 I could get 15 of each.

But have a couple of questions. I understand I shouldn't keep sailfin mollies with guppies but are normal mollies ok with guppies? And secondly as they are all livebearers should I have lower numbers to allow for babies?

Any other comments very welcome.

Thanks.

Tank 3 (200l)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2020, 07:35:10 PM »
15 angelfish sounds like a lot in a 200litre to me. I would be tempted to stick to less than 8 though will admit I’ve nothing currently to back this gut feeling up. Worth looking for specific angel fish stocking advice and space requirements per fish.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2020, 07:41:11 PM »
Bit of googling later confirms the fish need some space for territories etc and so your probably best with max 6 in a tank your size. You could then stock another species with them.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2020, 07:42:38 PM »
15 angelfish sounds like a lot in a 200litre to me. I would be tempted to stick to less than 8 though will admit I’ve nothing currently to back this gut feeling up. Worth looking for specific angel fish stocking advice and space requirements per fish.

Thanks @Matt I will do. Just used the community creator and that is what it told me for 75% capacity. But will definitely look into more

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2020, 08:00:51 PM »
Ok, think Angelfish are out. Not sure where 15 came from, seems 4 is nearer the mark.

So that leads to the question, what could I keep with Rams?

Offline Sue

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2020, 08:12:03 PM »
Tank 1 - needs more than 4 cories. They need at least 6 with more being better.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2020, 08:16:05 PM »
Tank 1 - needs more than 4 cories. They need at least 6 with more being better.

Thanks @Sue can work on that.

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2020, 10:30:46 AM »
For tank 2 I would swap the Cherry Barbs for a species more similar in size to the other two. A Barb tank is a very active tank, and Cherries prefer a quiet peaceful tank. The others might be a little too active and ‘in their face’. Cherries prefer a quiet life, mulling around in and near the plant cover, while the others are more open water species.

You could buy one (female) livebearer, and the tank would soon become fully stocked.
All domestic mollies can hybridise with guppies...

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2020, 04:24:50 PM »
Visited my LFS today to chat about community fish, who got on with who etc. It is a family run business and been around for ages. So as I went through different thoughts he surprised me with a couple of things. Firstly, that a Siamese fighting fish, just 1, would be ok in a tank with mollys and platys. Not looked into this fully as of yet.

However his other suggestion was Discus in the larger 200 litre tank. This didn't make much sense to me but have been  looking into online. Been on FB and discus forum and it seems my tank would be suitable. ok, 2 x 40% water changes a week would be needed and would need an external filter but not out of the question.

I also mentioned Malawi cichlids and he suggested Catfish as a possible tank mate and am looking into this route as well.

Still not totally convinced about the Discus, but seem to be getting same information from various sources which is helpful.

Will keep you informed how things continue.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2020, 05:12:32 PM »
Generally, SFF are not community fish and hence why they're recommended to be kept on their own (if male) or in a sorority (if female). Sometimes, a SFF may be ok in a tank with community fish - not ones that tend to nip fins, though - but it's a chance you'd be taking and down to the nature of the individual fish, so you'd need to have a back-up plan by way of being prepared to have a tank for him on his own if he doesn't get on with his tankmates or becomes intolerant of them over time. The other issue to bear in mind, though, is that SFF are generally soft water fish (range 1-15 dH), while mollies/platies are hard water fish (range 15-30 mollies, 10-30 platies) - if both were kept together, it's likely one or the other is not going to thrive and reach its life expectancy (esp as best to keep them close to middle of range).

Bear in mind that sources like Seriously Fish and INJAF and their recommendations (such as minimum tank size, suitable tankmates, etc) are 'bona fide', whereas there's a whole spectrum of very good and very poor advice from elsewhere (including LFSs and especially FB), dependent on who comments on a particular day, and some fishkeepers may take risks but not necessarily have fish that thrive. The key is to think through the logic or otherwise of any advice and also interpret it in the context of the 'bona fide' sources. Hope that's helpful.  :)

Offline Hampalong

• Global Moderator
  • Rocking Fishy Member
  • aka Mark
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2020, 05:15:30 PM »
200 litres is too small for discus. They can grow to 8” and should be kept in a group. They really need a tank at least 400 litres so that they don’t end up stunted.

Bettas have been known to be ok in communities, but 9 times out of 10 they’re not. Besides, they want soft water and livebearers want hard water. Actually the females are loners too, and a ‘sorority’ is also an unnatural way to keep them.

There are a few Synodontis catfish suitable for keeping with malawis. They all live in groups so they would seriously reduce the number of cichlids you could keep...

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2020, 06:59:04 PM »
@Hampalong This is where my confusion with the internet confuses the hell out of me. Seriously Fish say 120cm, 255 litre tank as a minimum however Practical Fishkeeping magazine say 125 litre tank. Most of the forums and facebook pages I have visited (most Discus owners) seem to say 200 litres is fine. So I am now totally and utterly confused and frustrated.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2020, 07:04:54 PM »
Just imagine a 20cm diameter fish in 125 litres... no way is that a suitable home for an animal, would be like confining someone to one small room for the whole of their life.

Edit: sorry if that sounds a bit preachy it was intended to be a helpful similie but reading back I’m not sure it comes across as such!!

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2020, 07:27:59 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Just imagine a 20cm diameter fish in 125 litres... no way is that a suitable home for an animal, would be like confining someone to one small room for the whole of their life.

Edit: sorry if that sounds a bit preachy it was intended to be a helpful similie but reading back I’m not sure it comes across as such!!

Not preachy (well not much ;))

I have read a lot on fish forums, a couple dedicated to keeping Discus, with some extremely experienced members, so I understand where you are coming from regarding differing opinions on an acceptable sized tank. I won't delve into that discussion however as the subject is a bit prickly.

I will say, it's one heck of a commitment to take Discus on though. I mean all fish are a commitment, but these guys are extremely demanding. I also feel the obsession by many Discus owners is to high volume feed them, and then of course the multiple water changes all in the quest to get the biggest, most vibrant fish. I don't know how healthy this actually is for them. I would definitely do a lot of reading about them if I was considering keeping them.

If nothing else it would be fascinating to look into further (just in general)  :)

Well more research has yielded more information. Two water changes a week is the norm, to keep water quality up. As for numbers 4-6 adults seems to be talked about a lot for my tank size. But will keep looking.

As for cichlid research, Dwarf Mbuna has been suggested to me, upto 20 for my 200 litre tank but need to look more into them. Most shops have them up as Malawi cichlids so not sure if they mean dwarf cichlids or not. But further research first.

Offline fcmf

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2020, 09:44:54 PM »
however Practical Fishkeeping magazine say 125 litre tank.
Just to confuse you more, they (also?) say "Discus reach 15cm/6” and need a 60cm/24” tall tank. They do well in groups of five or more. Go for a tank of 120 x 60 x 45cm/48 x 24 x 18” or bigger." https://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/features/what-do-i-need-for-discus/

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking ideas"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
17 Replies
Last post November 14, 2012, 04:29:10 PM
by Don
12 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 04:36:18 PM
by TigzFish
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
32 Replies
Last post June 04, 2015, 10:30:14 PM
by fcmf
63 Replies
Last post June 20, 2015, 03:53:38 PM
by Barney626
16 Replies
Last post August 17, 2016, 08:00:42 AM
by ColinB
9 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:19:37 PM
by Vanadia

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: