• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Stocking advice 125 litre
« on: March 06, 2016, 08:45:12 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hello all,
I've been planning an upgrade for a while now and my latest thoughts are for a Fluval Roma 125 litre aquarium with the following stocking:
Otocinclus (3 current tank)
Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2 females current tank, possibly get 1 male)
Galaxy Rasbora (6 current tank)
Harlequin Rasbora (4 current tank)
Sparkling Gourami (3 current tank)
Pygmy Cory (4)
Ember Tetra (6)
Fiveband Barb (4)
Dwarf Rainbowfish (4)
Golden Pencilfish (4)
Dwarf Gourami (1)
As there are no doubt people here with vastly more experience than me with these species, I'd love to hear if anyone has any thoughts on suitability/compatibility.
Thanks in advance!

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
Re: Stocking advice 110 litre
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:25:41 AM »
Sounds like it will be a lovely tank with that mix of fish.

Many fish seem to fare much better when in larger shoals than the minimum often recommended such as on our Community Creator - they display more natural behaviour, shoal better together, and are less likely to succumb to stress/illness. For that reason, I'd definitely recommend increasing the numbers of each of the types of fish (apart from the cichlids and gouramis which can be fine in small numbers) until you have a minimum of 6 and ideally 8 or 10. For the particularly small species, such as the pygmy cories, galaxy rasboras and ember tetras, I'd advise going nearer 10 (if you keep 6-8 of each of the other shoals) as they will probably feel safer in larger numbers .v. their slightly larger tankmates. Obviously, this will mean having to make decisions about which fish NOT to have at all as you'll no doubt be overstocked with the increased numbers.

Some people find barbs very active and competitive for food .v. the other tankmates but you might be fine with the fiveband ones, and ExtremeOne successfully keeps green tiger barbs in his tank with some similar fish to yours.

Hope that helps as a starter-for-ten.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 09:38:45 AM »
I'm watching your thread with interest Matt, you have listed quite a lot of the types of fish I am looking at getting once my fishless cycle is complete  :)

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 09:46:59 AM »
Just to be clear, you already have the otos, rams, galaxy rasboras, harlequins and sparking gourami, and the rest are fish you don't have but would like?
Rams - if you do get a male, there is a good chance he will pair up with one of the females and make life difficult for the 'spare' female. Be prepared to rehome one of the females if this happens. If course the male might not like either of the females or they might both take a dislike to him.

To be honest, the first thing I'd do is get more of the galaxies and harlequins. Galaxies are shy little fish and do much better with larger numbers. So a total of 10 galaxies and 6 harlequins. That would put you at 58% stocked.

Of the 'wish list' fish -
Pygmy cories are another small fish that does better in a big group, so you'd need at least 6 of those. They also need smooth gravel, or preferably sand. The rams would also do better on sand. But with rams in the tank, there could be problems. If you get a male and female that breed, they will chase everything away from their eggs. Cories have no concept of territory. They will keep wandering back towards the rams eggs and could very well end up being bitten.
Ember tetras - fine, and 6 should be enough of them.
Fiveband barbs should be OK, but more than 4. With shoaling fish,, 6 is the absolute minimum.
Dwarf rainbows - again at least 6. I had these for a while in my 180 litre tank that is 107cm long. I felt they were too overactive even for that length tank. I assume your 110 litre tank is shorter than that? (I gave mine away as they were just so exhausting to watch)
Golden pencilfish - biggish fish but sedate. At least 6 would be fine. (I have 12 of them)
Dwarf gourami - make sure the tank it comes from has no sickly looking or dead gouramis in there. So many dg's arrive at the shop already infected with the incurable dwarf gourami iridovirus.

If you were to get all those fish, your tank would be 162% stocked.

If this was my tank, I would forget the barbs. They are the same colour as the harlequins. And the rainbowfish (having had them already and finding how hyperactive they are). That takes you down to 107% which, while overstocked, would be do-able.
I'd probably also forget the cories simply because of the rams.

There are two ways to stock a tank. The minimum numbers of lots of species, or lots of a few species. I fall into the second group.
In my 180 litre I have 13 cherry barbs, 12 pencilfish, 3 apistos, 3 loaches (was 4 but one died shortly after I got them) 4 otos, and 6 stiphodons. The 2 ember tetras and 4 microdevarios are the last of shoals - I won't be replacing them. And yes I am overstocked!

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 10:04:38 AM »
Ok so updated list following advice so far:
Otocinclus (3 current tank)
Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2 females current tank)
Galaxy Rasbora (6 current tank)
Harlequin Rasbora (4 current tank - my first fish and I would be reluctant to mess up their already excellent schoal)
Sparkling Gourami (3 current tank)
Pygmy Cory (4, see how they get on with the rams and consider 6)
Ember Tetra (6)
Fiveband Barb
Dwarf Rainbowfish (4)
Golden Pencilfish (4 now 6)
Dwarf Gourami (1)

I definitely fall into the minimum numbers of lots of species camp although I do seem to be somewhat lonely in this group!

Yes Sue, you are correct about my currently owned and wish list fish.

The above puts me at 70% in the community creator with an external filter Sue, before I can consider increasing numbers of each species can you confirm I've not missed a trick here?

EDIT: possible rainbows alternative would be axelrods rasbora

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 10:14:57 AM »
I'd missed the external  :-[ That does make your stocking better.

You'll find that shoaling fish are better with more of them, 4 isn't really enough; but if the harlies are used to being in 4, then OK. But having the pencilfish myself, I know how they behave with more of them. I realise it is almost impossible to do with the young fish in the shop, but if you can get more female pencilfish than males it would be better for the group. Males have whiter tips on their pelvic fins - see third small pic in the profile.

And don't say I didn't warn you about the hyperactive rainbows  ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 10:22:19 AM »
Are threadfin rainbows any better? I like to have fish with different behaviours more than anything.

Any you might be able to recommend?

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2016, 10:27:39 AM »
Threadfins would be great. Read up on sexing them as I think I've only seen males in the local shop that stocks them. As with most male fish, they display better if they have females to display to.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 08:17:55 PM »
Would a hillstream loach be compatible with these species? I've always discounted them after reading their profile on here, but my LFS stocks them alongside similar species...

I'm also rapidly falling for rummy nose tetra following my store visit, they are much nicer 'in real life' and something a bit different than my current stocking/wishlist.

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 08:38:59 PM »
Hillstream loaches are not really good community fish. They like fast flowing, oxygen rich water at lower temperatures than most tropicals need.

The fish in shops are only meant to be there temporarily so shops tend to just mix them up together regardless of their needs.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 09:51:13 PM »
The latest picture is:
Otocinclus (3)
Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (2 from my current tank)
Galaxy Rasbora (6 from my current tank)
Harlequin Rasbora (6, 2 more than my current tank)
Sparkling Gourami (3 from current tank - is it worth getting more?)
Pygmy Cory (4)
Ember Tetra (6)
Neon Rasbora (6)
Rummynose Tetra (6)
Dwarf Gourami (1)
Cerry barb (4)

This puts me at 80% stocking
I'd appreciate any thoughts as usual.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
I'm watching your thread with interest Matt, you have listed quite a lot of the types of fish I am looking at getting once my fishless cycle is complete  :)

I've been watching your progress Paddyc, what are your current thoughts for stocking?

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 09:58:45 AM »
My concern with a shoal of larger fish such as cherry or ruby barbs is that the smaller fish (particularly ember tetras, sparkling gouramis and galaxy rasboras) would be in hiding all the time. Cherry barbs are quite active fish and are quite greedy at feeding time.

You could consider getting 3 dwarf gouramis, 1 male and 2 females. More that one male needs a larger tank as they are territiorial, and you need more than one female per male as males can harass a female to death if he wants to breed and she doesn't.

One thing I'm not sure about. In general terms it is not a good idea to mix species of gourami. But sparking gouramis have different behaviour from their larger cousins, so they might be OK with dwarfs. If you do get both, have a back up plan in case they don't get on.

Offline Paddyc

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 12:21:54 PM »
I've been watching your progress Paddyc, what are your current thoughts for stocking?

I'm still very much in the researching part of building a stock list. I don't want to buy a lot of fish initially but I do want to achieve a good 20% of max stock fairly quickly to keep up the nitrogen cycle. My main reason for not getting too many at first is in case I have teething problems and lose a lot of fish. I have an external filter and 180 litres to work with so eventually I'll have a fairly busy (an hopefully happy and healthy) community of fish  :D

From my signature you'll see my initial thoughts. I want a plec or two as well, I'll take the precise type of plec under advisement also... ;)

Offline Richard W

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
I find that Cherry barbs are very peaceful and quiet, much more so than other barbs which tend to be very boisterous. They're a lot smaller as well and do well with small tetras and Harlequins etc. I wouldn't say the same for Ruby barbs though, my males have permanently bitten tails through constant battles and chasing, even after two years to learn to get along.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Stocking advice 125 litre
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 07:23:29 AM »
Being as decisive as usual, I've had a rethink following your comments, my latest thinking is now:
Otocinclus (3 from current tank)
Ram / Butterfly Cichlid (4, 2 from current tank)
Galaxy Rasbora (6 from my current tank)
Harlequin Rasbora (4 from current tank)
Sparkling Gourami (3 from current tank)
Pygmy Cory (4)
Ember Tetra (6)
Neon Rasbora (6)
Rummynose Tetra (6)
Female Betta (1)

This is now for a 125 litre aquarium with an internal filter, so 90% stocking (I couldn't justify spending all that money on an aqua oak!).

I'd appreciate any thoughts as usual.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 09:59:32 AM »
Your Pygmy Corys really want to be in a larger shoal, at least 6 but, personally I'd now have no fewer than 12.

I kept 6 and they seemed fine for a couple of months then gradually one-by-one they died with no obvious cause.

In the wild these will be found in shoals numbering hundreds or even thousands.

Even a shoal of 6 is a tiny number compared to their natural preference.

I think I'll ask Robert to update the profile to increase the minium number to 6.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I love all the fish species you have chosen, each stunning in its own way. Whatever you decide to stock in your tank is your decision, though it is great to get advice from others regarding their suitability (tank size, water, compatibility, etc.).

Personally, I'd have larger shoals of fewer species. I have fallen into the trap of getting 6 of one variety just because it's the recommended minimum number. It seems a bit too arbitrary now.  Tanks with a little bit of everything rarely appeal to me anymore, including my own which has 4 X-Ray tetras, 2 Pseudomugil sp. 'Red Neon' and a Stiphodon. I would love to increase the number of Pseudomugil in the tank, but I got the original bunch for a steal and now my LFS charges £5.95 per fish! Instead I am going to allow the numbers to dwindle until I have stocking capacity for around a dozen small fish (CPD, Green Neon Tetra or Emerald Dwarf Rasbora) and I'll leave it at that. If I had a larger tank (mine is only 55l) I may have a couple of shoals and a centre-piece fish (or two).

It's taken me a little while to realise that I don't need to have every species I like all in the same tank at the same time. I think I'm fish-lifer and I'll have plenty of time to see other fish in my tank in the future.

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2016, 02:00:24 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
I completely concur with ExtremeOne about the pygmy cories - both he and I had exactly the same problems last year, with our shoals of six dying one by one. If you have a hunt around on this forum, you'll find the entire saga of mine (June-Sept) and my conclusions that minimum numbers should actually be a lot more than 6 - MA recommends 10+ on their website.

I used to think lots of different species would be lovely ie intermingling colours and behaviours but, actually, one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen was the harlequin rasboras schooling en masse in the LFS ie large-group behaviour, so I'd be inclined to agree with Cod.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2016, 02:17:29 PM »
The MA in Weybridge only sells Pygmy Cories by the dozen for the reasons mentioned above. They're also a great deal - £15 for 12.

Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking advice 125 litre"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
by Kirstos
7 Replies
Last post August 03, 2014, 04:53:50 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 06:08:12 PM
by Tim_b65
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 04:13:16 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2018, 06:39:39 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: