Stocking Advice 125 Litre

Author Topic: Stocking advice 125 litre  (Read 30400 times) 46 replies

Offline Skittler

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Shrimpaholic
Re: Stocking advice 125 litre
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2016, 02:20:17 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Exactly my thoughts too. I am already in the process of increasing my remaining groups. The Embers will go from 6 to 12 as soon as the tank has had a couple of weeks to get used to the last increase. When I started (again), I just wanted as many different fish as possible, and I bought the listed minimum numbers, and some of them didn't thrive. The exception to this was neons, where there was a very good deal for 10 babies. I still have those, and they look tremendous.

I too believe that the quoted minimum numbers can often be on the low side.

Skittler

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: Stocking advice 110 litre
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2016, 07:15:58 PM »
Threadfins would be great. Read up on sexing them as I think I've only seen males in the local shop that stocks them. As with most male fish, they display better if they have females to display to.

My threadfin boys actually display to my female celebes rainbow, I think they're a bit confused, it also drives the male celebes nuts  ::)

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Stocking advice 150 litre
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2016, 07:21:09 AM »
I'm now planning a custom 150 litre tank with base dimensions of 40x90cm with a Fluval u4 filter. 

I've resisted posting for ages to try and avoid the ever changing mind of Matt!!  :rotfl: I seem to be quite set on this now (it's lasted as a plan for a good number of weeks)

I want it to look something like this https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=_ALgkZvCtwk

6 otocinclus
6 galaxy rasbora
6 alexrods rasbora
6 rummy nose terra
6 harlequin rasbora (mix of normal and purple)
6 sparkling gourami
6 ram (2 of each; normal,golden,blue)
2 or 4 checkerboard cichlid
Possibly a female betta if it will be compatible... they keep catching my eye  ::)

I'm going to start buying the plants I want for it and eventually the wood and substrate to replace what's in my existing tank so that the move will be easier as I can take the maximum amount of beneficial bacteria over with them (I don't want to be running two tanks at once if I can avoid it).  Filter media from the old filter will be used in the new also to aid this, and stocking this up would be done gradually.

Any thoughts? Don't forget I'm in the small number of lots of species camp  :fishy1:

Offline ColinB

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2016, 07:34:33 AM »
My only thought would be about the number of fish competing for territory on the substrate. There may not be enough elbow room unless there's loads of hiding places and broken lines of sight, especially if they start breeding.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Panda Cory (7) - Honey Gourami (3) - Ember Tetra (9) - Lemon Tetra (4) - Cherry Barb (1) - Otocinclus (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2016, 09:04:01 AM »
Lovely range of fish - oh, to have a tank of that size!

Otocinclus - if this is a new tank from what you have already, then definitely worth waiting until the tank is well-and-truly mature (eg at least several months) before introducing them, to ensure there's a good biofilm, etc.

Betta - unsure about its suitability or not in the tank, although it's female, but one of the others will no doubt know better.

It might also be worth checking the profile for sparkling gourami again, given how they are with shrimps, just to be certain that they'd be fine with other fish and especially bettas' fancy fins.

Really looking forward to seeing pics and videos of this tank once complete!

Offline Sue

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2016, 09:55:28 AM »
Bettas, even females, are not good community fish. Some females are more aggressive than males. This is the one fish I would leave out of your list. If you really want a betta of either sex, a small 20 to 25 litre tank would be fine. I don't want to turn you into Littlefish, but couldn't you squeeze in a small tank as well  ;D

I agree with Colin about having too many territorial bottom dwelling fish ie 6 rams. And you might well find that with 2 of each of three colours they will swap colours and form mixed pairs.
With a 90 x 40 footprint tank, I would go with 4 rams at the most.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2016, 10:03:26 AM »
Tank planning and fish research is a very enjoyable part of the process. I'm following this thread with interest, especially as you have very different water from mone, so you are considering a lot of fish that I can't have.  :)

I don't want to turn you into Littlefish, but couldn't you squeeze in a small tank as well  ;D
@Sue considering the pictures that @ColinB posted previously of furniture that had built in tanks, you could never be such a bad influence as Colin when it comes to squeezing in an extra tank.  ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2016, 05:46:28 PM »
Thanks all - this is great advice!  So I'll remove the Betta (this was a bit of a last-minute.com thought anyway). 

Have got sparkling gouramis currently so I am confident that are peaceful enough for... well... almost all setups tbh  :fishy1:

Regarding the Rams, I'm more than happy to take on board everyone advice on numbers but 2 questions...
would keeping females only help? 
I believe that will get on ok with the checkerboard cichlids but how about in this limited space?
Im thinking 4 rams and 4 checkerboards maybe...

@Sue I'm keen not to embark on a journey to MTS - literally the only way this would happen is if I were to keep an unfiltered, unheated shrimp tank/vase.  :isay:

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 05:48:09 PM »
Tank planning and fish research is a very enjoyable part of the process.

Couldn't agree more... how many hours I must have wasted...  :raspberries

Offline fcmf

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 06:11:49 PM »
Tank planning and fish research is a very enjoyable part of the process.

Couldn't agree more... how many hours I must have wasted...  :raspberries
Preparation time is never a waste - this is the most crucial time. Far better to do that than learn the hard way or have regrets.

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2016, 06:32:11 PM »
I dread to think how much time I've spent (and still spend) on the community creator.  :-[   ;D

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2016, 09:53:21 PM »
Regarding the Rams, I'm more than happy to take on board everyone advice on numbers but 2 questions...
would keeping females only help? 
I believe that will get on ok with the checkerboard cichlids but how about in this limited space?
Im thinking 4 rams and 4 checkerboards maybe...

:fishy1: Anyone out there with any experience with dwarf cichlids?  :fishy1:

Offline Sue

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2016, 08:40:01 AM »
I've had Bolivian rams and apistogrammas but only ever one species at a a time in any tank. I've never risked more than one species in a tank. I can't give you any evidence to say don't have more than one species; it's just my instinctive feeling.

You need the opinion of someone who has kept two or three cichlid species together.

I have tried to keep rams (not Bolivians, the other species) without any success. They always died within a couple of months. Rams tend to be picky about their water parameters, although individuals with nothing but commercially bred ancestors for generations will accept a wider range; it's those with fairly recent wild caught ancestors that are much pickier. They prefer soft acid water with low nitrates. And temperatures higher than most of the other fish in your list would like.
Are you totally committed to rams? Can I persuade you to choose another cichlid like Bolivian rams, apistogrammas or even Nannacaras or Laetacaras? (You'll find Laetacara Curviceps in the profiles on here as the flag cichlid, however these fish are like hen's teeth; I know someone who has been to every shop in Yorkshire and failed to find any).

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2016, 09:44:54 PM »
I keep rams now (and have had them a good while) and they are my all time favourite -  it's going to take a lot to convince me otherwise I'm afraid  :raspberries

I'll get googling about multi species tanks - they live together in the wild so fingers crossed  :))

Offline fcmf

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2016, 09:01:59 AM »
I'll get googling about multi species tanks - they live together in the wild so fingers crossed  :))
The only caveat to that is that, in the wild, it's easier to escape if unhappy with the neighbours, while this is a bit more difficult in the confines of a tank. Having said that, you could always move them to another of your tanks if they weren't getting on.

Offline Sue

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2016, 01:40:03 PM »
Matt, if you can keep rams successfully that's fine. But lots of people, me included, can't  :(

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Set up advice 200 litre
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2016, 11:22:15 AM »
Wow, I've just looked back at this thread and can see it started in March!... Good news is that I've got the go ahead (though not immediately) for a 200l tank ;D and so, yet again, and following more research, my stocking ideas have subtly changed and I've firmed up my thoughts on equipment too:

8 otocinclus
8 galaxy rasbora
8 cardinal tetra
8 rummy nose terta
8 harlequin rasbora (mix of normal and purple)
8 sparkling/licorice gourami
4 german blue ram
4 checkerboard cichlid
8 pygmy cory (I've decided to give these a go, especially now I can get a larger shoal)

I'd like my tank to look something like this: https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=SVJWKpyaCyM though a low tech version eg. without carpeting plants.

I'm going to use a fluval U4 internal filter as these get very good reviews which I will hide behind the wood.

For lighting Ill probably use 2 of Hidom's CL-6B lights but like @Sue I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on these if anyone has experienced with Hidom products (though again they get good reviews).  There will be an acrylic top (with air gap) on the aquarium so you can see in but to keep the heat in.

As for the substrate, I'm thinking of using https://www.amazon.co.uk/CLASSICA-NATURAL-AQUARIUM-CICHLID-SUBSTRATE/dp/B018ICFQGO/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1471686988&sr=8-22&keywords=1mm+sand with some root tabs in planted areas.

Any thoughts?

:fishy1:

Offline fcmf

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »
Hi Matt,

Great news about the 200L tank. Your list of intended fish looks good to me - wow, so envious as most of my favourite fish are featured there - but others with more experience may be able to advise further.  My only 'hunch' is that, if tank volume would allow for a few more, then I'd increase the size of the shoals of the very small fish (galaxy rasboras and pygmy cories) to 10 or even 12 given how they seem to fare better in larger numbers.

I can't seem to get the YouTube clip to work - it looks just like adverts for clips on a whole range of issues.

Fluval filters are indeed very good - I had one for 12 years before its impellor eventually broke.

Others will be able to advise further on the substrate for plants as that's definitely not an area I have experience in.

Hope this is at least somewhat helpful/reassuring.

Offline Matt

• Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »
I can't seem to get the YouTube clip to work - it looks just like adverts for clips on a whole range of issues.

Link works for me but search for Aqueous Reflection by Glass Canvas Aquascape

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2016, 12:23:59 PM »
Congratulations on the go ahead for the 200L tank.
The set up on the link is amazing. I had a look at the updates as well. Lovely looking tank.  8)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stocking advice 125 litre"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
3 Replies
Last post November 20, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
by Sue
4 Replies
Last post January 28, 2014, 12:46:24 PM
by Kirstos
7 Replies
Last post August 03, 2014, 04:53:50 PM
by Sue
3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 06:08:12 PM
by Tim_b65
33 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 09:16:42 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 04:13:16 PM
by Sue
7 Replies
Last post May 12, 2018, 06:39:39 AM
by Matt

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: