• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
stocking a 40g breeder
« on: May 06, 2015, 02:42:17 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
 I already know that the stock starts like this
6 bronze cories
6 juli cories.
 The rest of the stock is unknown. Anybody got any ideas? I am VERY open minded to new ideas, so just give me some ideas please. I am very excited to start planning this tank. I am also planning to get 2 aquaclear 50 with some kind of screen on the intake tune....

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
Re: stocking a 40g breeder
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:46:12 AM »
I know that in the USA tanks come in different shapes for the same volume. Am I correct in thinking that breeder tanks are longer than usual and shallower?

So before I go any further can you tell me what the length, width and depth of this 40 gall breeder tank are please?

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 12:17:28 AM »
The width is 18 inch, the length is 36 inch, the height is 16 inch.

Offline Sue

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:58:56 AM »
I see it is a shallower tank. I had an idea that breeder tanks were.

OK, next question. What is the pH of your water and what is the hardness? If you don't have a tester for hardness, the company that supplies your water should have that information on its website. I would hate to suggest soft water fish if you have very hard water, or the other way round.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 02:03:55 AM »
Well my ph never changes( I am pretty sure of that) and the last time I checked it it was 7.2 or 7.4. The hardness I dont know about, but I do keep tetras,mystery snails,kuhli loaches,tetras,blue gourami,bettas, and cories in it....Oh and 2 platy(so cute :) ) if it helps you to get a rough idea.

Offline Sue

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 12:48:53 PM »
The problem with those fish is that you have some that like soft water and some that like hard.

OK, I know you probably don't notice such things (teenagers usually don't  ;) ) but have you ever noticed or heard your parents complaining about limescale in places like the shower head or a kettle? In other words, have you noticed white deposits round the holes in the shower head, or your parents having to clean it often? That is a sign of hard water.

I assume you are looking for something different from the fish you've already got?
You've said that cories are on your 'must have' list. In that case I would not get any more bottom dwelling fish, that area will be full with the cories. And fish like apistogrammas or kribs would pick on the cories if they spawned.
If you like gouramis, a trio (1 male 2 female) of honey gouramis would go nicely.
A shoal of pencil fish? Beckford's pencilfish, also called golden pencilfish, are the commonest and hardiest of pencilfish, provided your water is softish.

Or instead of those two, cherry barb are a nice colourful fish or maybe 5 band barb (make sure they are 5 band not the similar tiger barbs)
Or dwarf rainbowfish.

Just a few suggestions.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 10:21:56 PM »
I just asked my dad if we have hare water.... He said we did. What fish do I have that like hard water? I am sorry that I cant give you a real number on how hard it is.  But my birthday is in 3 more days and I am going to petco to hopefully get a 40 gallon breeder and get a few other things. While I am there I will make sure to get a test kit for water hardness. So with that aside, do you think that I might be able to get away with 7 or even 8 cories? I really like the cories.

Offline Sue

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 10:49:39 AM »
It depends on exactly how hard your water is. For example, there are some regions of the UK where the water is so hard I've heard fishkeepers call it liquid rock rather than water. They couldn't keep cories. But if your water is moderately hard there should be no problem and you could even keep a number of so-called soft water fish.

There are quite a few fish that can be kept in hard water, you would just need to avoid fish like rams, some tetras and things like most of the apistogrammas (though cockatoo cichlids would be fine in moderately hard).
Most of the rainbowfish like hard water, and I include fish like the blue eye group as rainbows.

When you get your tank, have a look at the fish and make a note of the ones you like the look of. Some of them won't be suitable but we can work out a list from the ones you do like.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 04:24:55 AM »
I just bought some test strips at petco( I know, I know but it was the only thing I saw that tested for hardness)  The test said that I was in between 75 and 150. Is that bad, good , or neutral?

Offline Sue

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 08:31:39 AM »
There are a lot of units hardness could be in - like miles and kilometers - but I think the strips use ppm calcium carbonate. Can you look at yours and see if I'm right.
If I am right about the unit, 75 to 150ppm is in the range moderately soft to slightly hard. You should be able to keep the majority of fish, you just need to avoid Rift Lake cichlids which need it very hard and a few Amazonian fish which need it very soft.

Cories are definitely do-able.

Offline brian c

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 10:07:38 PM »
Yeah they use ppm calcium carbonate.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "stocking a 40g breeder"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2014, 06:45:59 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post March 12, 2014, 08:04:46 AM
by ColinB
6 Replies
Last post April 17, 2014, 12:28:08 PM
by ColinB
2 Replies
Last post August 06, 2014, 07:36:13 AM
by Richard W
38 Replies
Last post May 25, 2016, 09:02:06 PM
by Sue
12 Replies
Last post November 23, 2016, 10:05:56 PM
by Littlefish
3 Replies
Last post March 14, 2017, 10:53:52 AM
by Shelly

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: