Author Topic: Stiphodon Species  (Read 13663 times) 31 replies

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Stiphodon Species
« on: May 10, 2015, 08:43:45 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all,
I was at my local LFS today and I spotted what was called an Indonesian Rock Goby and a Sumatran Red Neon Goby. These fish had really interesting behaviour, but were a little drab looking. I came home and googled them and it turns out they are members of the Stiphodon genus. To my astonishment, the male fish within this genus are absolutely stunning. Stiphodon semoni will reach just 5cm in length, and given it's relatively docile nature, would appear well suited to smaller aquariums. The primary issue with these fish appears to be providing enough soft algae within the tank for them to eat. They also require high oxygen levels.

Has anyone kept any Stiphodon species and if so, would you recommend them?

Here are some pics for those who haven't seen these beauties...
http://tanzawa-sky-club.air-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/10/26/nanyou05.jpg 
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Stiphodon-semoni-horny-male.jpg
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/custom/images/medium/52933c897424b.jpg

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Checkered Barb (3) - Endler's Livebearer (5) - Galaxy Rasbora (7) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
Re: Stiphodon Species
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 08:34:40 PM »
So I was buying a new car and stumbled across a fantastic MA at Bordon in Hampshire. They had a stunning collection of fish suitable for nano tanks including an array of Stiphodon species. I purchased a Stiphodon atropurpureus for a fantastic £4.50. This little stunner has completely stripped any algae including the pesky BBA within 24 hours of being in my tank. I'm now worried that I'm not going to be able to grow enough algae for my new favourite fish!

If you get a chance to visit this MA you will not be disappointed. I didn't even notice a fish that looked under the weather, let alone dead/diseased in any tank. Extremely helpful staff too!

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 08:39:57 PM »
I've just looked up Stiphodon atropurpureus on Seriously Fish and I have to say I'm jealous! ;)

He looks a stunning fish and useful too.  :cheers: I'll have to keep an eye out for this species in one of my LFS.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 07:31:01 AM »
They are gorgeous fish, and some of the other Stiphodons have even more elaborate colours, though they seem to retail at between £15-£20 if you can find them. For the first time ever I'm worried I won't have enough algae for this aufwuch eater, so I've ramped the lights up for an extra 4 hours and will see how we go!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 08:51:19 AM »
Cod, if I were you I'd buy some Algae wafers and feed these a couple of times a week.

Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 07:47:55 PM »
Cheers Simon,
I already add algae wafers for my shrimp and my Pseudomugil sp. Red neon also love them. From what I've read, stiphodon love fresh algae and given that this one little fish has cleaned every corner of my tank in a matter of 48 hours I believe it's true. He's making my RCS and Nerite crew look positively lazy at the moment!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
Shame you can't hire him out to clean all the tanks in your local area!  :rotfl:

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 09:08:00 PM »
Now there's an idea!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 07:12:38 PM »
I've just heard my nearest LFS has some Stiphodon in. I'll be viewing some on Saturday. Hope they're as stunning as yours.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 07:17:48 PM »
Good news! Check that they're eating well as like otocinclus, these guys sometimes aren't in the best shape at LFS. I'm actively encouraging algae in my tank and there's still not a trace. Unbelievable little guy!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 07:39:09 PM »
I was originally going over to get some Otos but might pick up a pair of these instead if they're in good condition and aren't silly money.

Do they take Algae wafers OK? I'm sure they'll have plenty of algae and biofilm in the main tank but whilst I'm quarantining them, not so much.

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 07:47:53 PM »
Yeah, he wasn't interested for a couple of days, but now dives on the wafers. They like bloodworm and daphnia too, but these should only be a small part of their diet. Mine cost £4.50, but that was about £4 cheaper than I'd seen anywhere else. I'm sure you already know, but they like cooler tank temps due to their preference for highly oxygenated tanks.

You'll love their unusual behaviour. Very lizard-like!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 07:49:43 PM »
Thanks.  :cheers: I'll let you know what I find on Saturday.

Worst comes to the worst I'll get the Oto's instead.  ;D

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 08:36:43 PM »
Otos are lovely too, though I do love my Stiphodon.

Oh yeah, forgot to say, they dig! Not enough to disturb plants, but they will bury under stones and wood.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 10:45:11 AM »
Do they swim up and clean the glass? Do they eat algae off the leaves of plants? Will they swim over the top of my Bogwood and hoover up all the biofilm?

Or do they stay only on (and in!) the substrate? :)

I have been reading up a bit, and am amazed to learn they even eat Cyanobacteria / Blue-Green algae!

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 08:25:02 PM »
They spend most of their time munching algae off stones and plants. They root around the substrate a bit and also the glass  but it's their algae eating from plants and rocks that amazes me. I had a fair bit of the dreaded black beard algae in my tank when I got back from holiday. Within 3 days it was all gone. I now have my lights on for 12 hours a day and not a spot of visible algae anywhere.

They don't really dig in the substrate like MTS do, but they do burrow under stones and wood.

The oddest thing I find about them is that they seem to  cling to the glass by their fins and not their mouth like plecos and otos.

A stunning fish that I would highly recommend. I would be careful quarantining them though as they are aufwuch eaters and would do best in a mature tank. That said, mine does seem happy enough on the algae wafers when I drop one in.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 09:12:13 PM »
Thanks COD.

I quarantine as a matter of course so would be concerned not to.

I will have to sleep on it.

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2015, 01:01:57 PM »
They had three in the tank, at the LFS, labeled as Rainbow Stiphodon and priced at £6.95 each.

They all looked healthy, if a little drab in colouration.
They're about 4 - 4.5cm long, predominantly grey-beige but with a flash of electric blue on their lips and cheeks.

Apparently though, these fish can change colour...

So, I'm unsure which species of Stiphodon they are, but they're now all acclimatising in the quarantine tank as I type this.

I managed to get all three for £15 so I'm very pleased.  :D

Looking forward to seeing if they colour up when they go into the main tank...

Offline Cod_only_knows

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Just for the halibut!
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 02:38:59 PM »
That sounds like a steal. If they are stiphodon ornatus you are in for a treat. The males are absolutely stunning!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2015, 04:36:02 PM »
Was yours brightly coloured from the beginning or did it take a while?

Mine are already looking darker in the QT and I see stripes now.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Stiphodon Species"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
9 Replies
Last post April 14, 2013, 06:41:44 PM
by suep
2 Replies
Last post April 29, 2014, 04:45:30 AM
by radhx
5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2016, 03:53:17 PM
by Littlefish
34 Replies
Last post April 10, 2016, 07:52:20 PM
by Cod_only_knows
6 Replies
Last post November 03, 2016, 05:44:28 PM
by Littlefish
9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2018, 06:33:48 PM
by Littlefish
2 Replies
Last post January 30, 2020, 10:01:00 AM
by Hampalong

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: