Sterbai Corydora Bloating

Author Topic: Sterbai corydora bloating  (Read 3860 times) 6 replies

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
Sterbai corydora bloating
« on: November 27, 2016, 02:31:42 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi all, I'm back again with another question, I had 4 Sterbia corys in my large community tank, after doing some renovations to my tank, due to it having black beard algae, my water readings peaked for a while but everything has been running as it should, we then noticed that one of the four Sterbia corys looked bloated and it's general colour was very pale, it died a couple of days later, I have tried to google the problem, but I don't really seem to get much in the way of info back.
2 of the remaining 3 then became bloated, and their colour looked pale so I decided to try treating with a general tonic that is effective against mites, fin rot and white spot, it did not seem to have any effect at first, but in the past couple of days the bloating seems to have subsided and their colour is looking much better, while I'm happy that they are looking better if anyone has any ideas as to what the problem may have been I would very much appreciate any info that anyone may have.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Clown Loach (1) - Neon Tetra (5) - Black Molly (1) - Zebra Loach (1) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
Re: Sterbai corydora bloating
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »
I'm not an expert on cories but can you advice what you are feeding them please so we can rule this out initially?

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 05:12:40 PM »
Hi Matt, they get a mixture of algae wafers, hikari micro granules and frozen (defrosted obviously) blood worm, brine shrimp ect

Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 07:20:49 PM »
Ok well it's not that... I need someone with more cory experience to come along and pose a few more thoughts or questions now I'm afraid...

Offline Pixiecatjo

• Super Subscriber!
  • Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 07:34:16 PM »
Ok thanks for your input anyway Matt will leave this up to see if anyone can help

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 09:55:29 AM »
I am at a loss to suggest what is wrong  :(

I have not kept this species of cory but I have had habrosus and pygmaeus cories. I cannot keep habrosus alive for longer than a few months, and a lot of the pygmies died fairly quickly too. I do wonder if there is something about cories that makes them more prone to picking up bugs of some sort.

Do you have a quarantine tank? I have very recently discovered from member hampalong that Octozin by Waterlife contains metronidazole and this not only kills anaerobic bacteria but also internal protozoan infections. But I would be wary of treating the whole tank.

Offline fcmf

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • [PicCredit: @NiloSinnatamby]
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 07:20:06 PM »
I'm sorry that I don't think I can be of much help other than to empathise.

I had pygmy cories, all of which died between months 6-9 in my tank, of similar problems to what you describe but additionally other problems (including partially-/fully-severed tails, pus-like lumps and bloodstreaks under their pelvic/anal fins), despite water parameters being in line with their requirements, water quality being consistently 0 for ammonia and nitrite, and 20 for nitrates and despite a varied diet. All other inhabitants were fine - initially x-ray tetras, then also harlequin rasboras. Having exhausted all obvious options, I've put mine down to either:
*the tank being insufficiently mature when I got them (not long finished cycling although it didn't pose a problem during the first 6 months of them in the tank);
*being harassed or feeling intimidated by larger tankmates (in particular two female tetras who lurked around them, waiting for food debris being foraged, although there was no sign of them being perturbed and they were quite happy foraging in dispersed locations around the tank rather than in groups or hiding);
*6 (but dwindling in numbers) being an insufficient number .v. the size of their tankmates

Might any of these be a possibility? [Here are a couple of useful profiles for the sterbai cory - perhaps an additional few might help? Are your water parameters suitable for them? http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/fish/sterbai-cory.html and http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/corydoras-sterbai/]

Mine didn't respond well to the eSHa 2000, and, in retrospect, I wished I'd dosed lower than suggested, particularly as they were so tiny. On that basis, although yours are bigger in stature, I'd err on the side of underdosing any medication you try.

Best of luck, and sorry I can't be of any more help.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sterbai corydora bloating"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2014, 06:29:31 PM
by Colin
5 Replies
Last post May 08, 2015, 12:40:58 PM
by fcmf
3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2017, 08:26:38 PM
by Sue
6 Replies
Last post January 04, 2018, 09:39:13 AM
by Littlefish
38 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 01:34:18 PM
by fcmf

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: