Coastal Pebbles.

Author Topic: Coastal pebbles.  (Read 2330 times) 3 replies

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
Coastal pebbles.
« on: September 29, 2015, 02:25:51 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
I've got some nicely rounded pebbles from the coast can I use them in a tank or would it be ill advised?
They've obviously going to have salt mineral on them but would boiling them like bogwood get rid of the impurities?

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Coastal pebbles.
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 03:20:18 PM »
Put white vinegar on them, if they fizz don't use them.
(I believe this would indicate they're of a kind of rock that would gradually break down and leech minerals into the water column)

If they don't then they'll be fine.

I just soaked and scrubbed mine to remove the salt.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 03:57:57 PM »
Boiling rocks can be a bad idea. Some rocks have air pockets inside, but you can't tell which ones from the outside, and boiling can cause the air to expand which explodes the rock. Just pour boiling water over them.

Also, check the rocks for signs of metallic looking veins. These can leach metals into the water.

And boiling bogwood is not recommended either. It breaks down the fibres so the wood falls apart quicker. Again, pour boiling water over wood, don't simmer it in boiling water.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 04:13:17 PM »
I'm so glad you're here Sue. I would have ended up with shrapnel in my face otherwise  :rotfl:
Thank you both.

Tags:

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: