Tank/algae Issues - Change Substrate?

Author Topic: Tank/algae issues - change substrate?  (Read 4729 times) 16 replies

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish Forum User
Tank/algae issues - change substrate?
« on: November 02, 2018, 02:26:30 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Hi All

Havent been around much but still having problems with my tank regarding algae. tried big water changes, live plants etc but nothing seems to be working. So I am wondering if my substrate of sand could be the issue? Although I clean it, once I have done it, it still doesn't look that clean. I asked my LFS about things to help me clean it more thoroughly and they said sand is difficult to keep clean, whereas gravel is easier.

Do people think that changing my substrate could help? If I did a thorough clean, what things are best to use? Would it be ok to put my sponges in my other tank for a day or so whilst I do the clean?

Any help always much appreciated.

Dave

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
Re: Tank/algae issues - change substrate?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 06:36:08 PM »
I find sand much easier to keep clean than gravel! The mess just sits on the top of sand so it is much easier to remove it, while it gets right down between the gravel particles and can be a problem to remove.

The sand is not the cause of the algae. Algae is caused by an imbalance between light duration, fertiliser and carbon dioxide.

Can you tell us:
How long are the tank lights on for - and what they are, fluorescent (with the watts and K rating) or LEDs (with as much detail as they give)
Do you add fertiliser for the plants, and if so what is it?
Do you add CO2 gas, or a liquid CO2 product - and if so, what?
How heavily stocked is the tank?
How often do you do water changes, and how much?
Do you over feed the fish?

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 06:45:42 PM »
Can you tell us:
How long are the tank lights on for - and what they are, fluorescent (with the watts and K rating) or LEDs (with as much detail as they give) Flurescent, on 6 hours a day
Do you add fertiliser for the plants, and if so what is it? No fertiliser
Do you add CO2 gas, or a liquid CO2 product - and if so, what? No gas
How heavily stocked is the tank? just has 3 fish in at moment
How often do you do water changes, and how much? 20/30 every two weeks
Do you over feed the fish? Don't think so, a few micro pellets every other day.
 The tank has been up and running 10 months.

My other tank is more heavily stocked and has is 8 months up and running, 20-25 fish and is just starting to show slight algae on glass.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:46:50 PM »
Forgot to ask, what is best way to clean sand?

Offline Sue

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 06:55:46 PM »
Most people use a standard siphon tube, but I use a winemaking siphon tube without the cup on the end. Then hover the open end of whatever the tube is just above the sand and make small swirling movements. This lifts the debris off the sand and up into the tube.

The light duration sounds fine.
How many live plants do you have - if there are lots you may need to add some fertiliser so that the plants grow faster and out-compete the algae.
CO2 shouldn't be a problem - if you were bubbling CO2 gas or using one of the liquid CO2 products (eg Flourish Excel) that would have been a suspect.
With just 3 fish, your water changes are OK. Had the tank been fully stocked, I would have advised 50% water changes every week.

All fish tanks have some algae, it's when the algae takes over that there is a problem.
Do you know what type of algae it is, because different things encourage different types. Have a look here see if you can ID yours http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm (The link is aimed at people with heavily planted tanks so the cause and cure won't apply here. Just look at the pics to work out what your algae is)

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 07:09:50 PM »
Ok there is algae on glass but worse is stuff that looks like Rhizoclonium. It says about it:
Description
Strands of fine green or brownish threads which are soft and slimy.
Cause
Low CO2 and poor water flow. Low nutrient levels. General lack of maintenance.
Removal
Increase CO2 levels and check nutrient dosing. Give the tank a good cleaning. Overdosing Excel, EasyCarbo or TNC Carbon should also clear it. Amano shrimp will eat it.

Water flow looks fine but can double check. Tank has artificial plants in so not sure about adding nutrient or CO2. Will give everything a good clean again but have done it before and it came straight back. Is the EasyCarbo or other stuff a good idea or would getting a Amano shrimp be better, and if so, how many?

And how easy is to to remove a Juwel 125 filter just in case I need a new filter for some reason?

Offline Sue

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 07:24:49 PM »
Don't use any liquid CO2 product. They contain glutaraldehyde which is a strong disinfectant - it is used to disinfect surgical instruments. Not everything that is claimed to be safe in fish tanks is a good idea.

Most of the causes and cures are for tanks full of live plants. If yours are fake plants they don't apply. You should not add CO2 in any form unless there are so many live plants that they use all the CO2 naturally occurring in the water.

How often to you clean the filter sponges? And do you change them like the instructions say? If you do, don't.

I removed the filter from my old Rio 125 because the noise drove us mad - it was so loud it kept us awake in the room above the tank. But with a small amount of fish, unless the noise also drives you mad, there should be no reason to change the filter.
Something that would help is live plants, especially floating plants. I have both water sprite and stems or hornwort floating on my main tank and there is virtually no algae in there. But I do have nerite snails and cherry shrimps, which probably also help. I would try a few floating plants before going down another more expensive route.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 07:34:25 PM »
I wash the sponges in old tank water when I do water change. Not changed them except the white top one.

I tried live plants but they all died off rather quick so not sure about going down that route again.

Sounds like smails and shrimps might help. How many should I get?

Offline Sue

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 07:42:22 PM »
I would start with just 2 nerite snails and see what happens.

I have never been able to grow plants rooted in the substrate, but I can grow those which are attached to decor (Java fern, anubias, bolbitis, bucephalandra etc) and floating plants. Water sprite is the best because the leaves don't rot if water condensation from the lid drips on them.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 07:43:54 PM »
Thanks Sue

Will try and see what happens.

Thanks

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 11:40:57 PM »
What are your nitrate levels like, especially those in your tap water? If you have low nitrates in your tap water (<5), with not many fish, this might be why you didn't succeed with live plants. If you do have low nitrates, you may find that fast growing plants exacerbate the problem (fast growing plants tend to use more nitrates than slow growing plants).

If you can test for any other nutrients, share the results and we might be able to work out why you have the algae. As @Sue said, algae usually appears when there's an imbalance of nutrients.

(My tank is almost the opposite of Sue's - mine is heavily planted with a sandy area but mostly gravel. I struggle to keep the sand clean - doesn't help that my kuhlis move it around. And I'm much better at growing slow growing rooted plants, I struggle more with plants on decor. Which may be because I have tap water with very low nitrates, so most of the nutrients in my tank are in the gravel.)

It is also worth noting that it is harder to grow plants in sand if you don't also have a specific plant substrate. This is because the fish mulm sits on the surface, with gravel it falls in between the stones and becomes plant fertiliser.

Offline Rustle

• Super Subscriber!
  • Super Fishy Member
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 07:14:36 AM »
This is just my experience but i had algae for a while but then found out i had the wrong plant's in the tank that did not suit the PH and water hardness etc.

I have now changed my plant's to what comes under the category easy and changed my fertiliser to Evolution Aqua Aquascaper Complete Liquid Plant Food and they are thriving with no algae.

Just a thought if nothing else is working.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Cherry Barb (6) - Neon Tetra (7) - Harlequin Rasbora (11) - Honey Gourami (2) - Guppy (male) (3) - Otocinclus (5) - Japonica Shrimp (8) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sue

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 08:41:27 AM »
What are your nitrate levels like, especially those in your tap water? If you have low nitrates in your tap water (<5), with not many fish, this might be why you didn't succeed with live plants. If you do have low nitrates, you may find that fast growing plants exacerbate the problem (fast growing plants tend to use more nitrates than slow growing plants).

That might be my problem too. With less than 5 ppm nitrate in my tap water and less than 10 ppm in tank water just before a water change, it probably explains why I can grow slow growing plants but not fast growers.
Nitrate had not occurred to me  :-[

Offline Helen

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2018, 09:08:50 AM »
It took me ages to work out that low nitrates was essentially the source of my plant growing issues. Having more fish helps (more ammonia / nitrates). And then I went through a phase of supplementing with nitrates.

Now I want my tank to be as low maintenance as possible, so have switched my plants for the slowest growing ones. I still get odd algae blooms, but nothing severe.

I'm currently trying to work out the correct level of micronutrients my tank needs - if I overdose (every other addition!) I get a bloom on the glass (which sounds similar to one of the issues @barneyadi  is having). So I think that algae type might not be related to the nitrate, but an excess of one of the micronutrients - I've just not worked out which. It could be as simple as where I add the nutrients to the tank. There are no plants at the front, so in my attempt to 'spread' the nutrients around the tank, am I giving the algae first dibs?

Avoiding algae completely is a fine line balancing trick. And just when you think you've got it right, something changes (which could even be as simple as pruning the plants!)

Offline Littlefish

• aka Donna
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2018, 09:23:42 AM »
That's very interesting, and something I was recently discussing with @Matt with reference to the planted tiger barb tank he designed for me.
I have always used TNC Complete as a fertiliser, but my tap water nitrate level is 40ppm. Tanks are steady at that level, usually a tad lower. We discussed swapping to TNC Lite, which doesn't have nitrate or phosphate, and I'm hoping to see my nitrate level drop now the tank is quite heavily planted - fingers crossed.
I've not had massive issues with algae, and tank lights are on for around 5 hours a day, so for me it's mainly about nitrite levels.

Offline barneyadi

• Super Subscriber!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2018, 10:11:44 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Will test my tap water but seem to remember it was between 20 and 40ppm.
Got the algae with just plastic plants do not sure if live plants are way to go for me. The snails make sense.
The tank in understock but been trying to sort the algae out with no luck.

Offline Matt

• @scapeeasy on Instagram
  • Global Moderator
  • www.scapeeasy.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2018, 10:41:26 AM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 1
Love plants will certainly help @barneyadi and @Sues recommendation of floating plants is the way to go if you want to reduce nitrates @Littlefish  :cheers:

@barneyadi the trouble your competition between plants and algae does not exist... just the algae there so no wonder it is winning!  Research easy plants on Tropicas website to see what you might like to give a go... happy to help with what are the most robust species too if needed. Just let me know :)

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Tank/algae issues - change substrate?"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 08:38:35 AM
by Sue
2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2014, 11:12:44 PM
by dbaggie
10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2016, 06:30:16 PM
by Littlefish
27 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 05:21:49 PM
by fcmf
49 Replies
Last post March 25, 2017, 05:10:46 PM
by Fishywishy
38 Replies
Last post November 05, 2017, 06:22:16 PM
by Helen
17 Replies
Last post October 25, 2020, 02:34:24 PM
by Fishbeard

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: