Shrimp

Author Topic: Shrimp  (Read 4071 times) 9 replies

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Shrimp
« on: August 29, 2014, 07:34:14 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
Bit of a question as I have never really kept shrimp, whilst purchasing some dwarf chain loaches I noticed some red cherry shrimp in the shop and loved the colour of them. Searching the internet gives me varying results of people keeping them with the loaches and red tailed black shark I have. The shark is tiny and never seems to bother anything but I'm unsure if I'd just be buying very expensive snack for the loaches??

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
Re: Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 09:07:41 PM »
i have amano shrimp with clown loaches and a decent size ruby shark and there is no problems but cherry shrimp are smaller i think with shrimp and fish its always a bit of a trial .

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 06:13:43 AM »
Thanks Chris. I may trial a few and see if the fish are bothered. Fred the bristlenose needs a hand with the alge control in my tank lol and as id like something ive not had before i thought about red cherry shrimp as i like the colour. Its the chain loaches that bother me lol as with the exception of my chain loaches the only thing i can think may eat them are the angels i plan on adding to my tank?

Angelfish (6) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Assassin Snail (1) - Japonica Shrimp (1) - Ruby Barb (10) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (10) - Sparkling Gourami (15) - Golden Pencilfish (15) - Angelfish (7) - Japonica Shrimp (9) - Assassin Snail (5) - Panda Cory (8) - Golden Pencilfish (7) - Diamond Tetra (9) - Red Tail Black Shark (1) - Flame Tetra (2) - Bristlenose Plec (2) - Round Banded Barb (10) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 08:03:06 AM »
i also have some rather large snakeskin gourmai and 3 kissing gourmai of a decent size far bigger than a amano shrimp and one thing i can say is if there is argument for a bit of food in the tank the shrimp win there fair share against the fish , in fact last night the shrimp not only stole a pellet from the snakeskin about 8 mm in diameter it also turned round and lunged at the snakeskin when it tried to take it back - poor snakeskin was a bit shocked and swam away not quite sure what to do  :rotfl:

Offline Sue

• Global Moderator Subscriber
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 11:31:03 AM »
I have dwarf chain loaches and amanos with no problems. But when I had endlers in the tank they may short work of the fry - you might get away with adult cherries but you won't see any babies as they'd get eaten. Also, I've read that if shrimp are kept in a tank with fish that the shrimp perceive as predators, the females won't even develop saddles let alone become berried.
[translation:
saddled - a pale area on the back of females said to resemble a saddle in shape. It's the ovaries filling with eggs.
berried - the fertilised eggs held under the female's abdomen. Said to resemble a handful of berries.]

If you just want algae eaters, have you thought about nerite snails? I have zebra nerites with my loaches, they are too big to get eaten.

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 12:28:02 AM »
i also have some rather large snakeskin gourmai and 3 kissing gourmai of a decent size far bigger than a amano shrimp and one thing i can say is if there is argument for a bit of food in the tank the shrimp win there fair share against the fish , in fact last night the shrimp not only stole a pellet from the snakeskin about 8 mm in diameter it also turned round and lunged at the snakeskin when it tried to take it back - poor snakeskin was a bit shocked and swam away not quite sure what to do  :rotfl:

Haha that does sound impressive, hmmm i do really like the colour of the cherry shrimp though and i do have a very densely planted tank changed about 3 times since i added the pics on here lol. One to ponder i guess!

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 12:33:52 AM »
I have dwarf chain loaches and amanos with no problems. But when I had endlers in the tank they may short work of the fry - you might get away with adult cherries but you won't see any babies as they'd get eaten. Also, I've read that if shrimp are kept in a tank with fish that the shrimp perceive as predators, the females won't even develop saddles let alone become berried.
[translation:
saddled - a pale area on the back of females said to resemble a saddle in shape. It's the ovaries filling with eggs.
berried - the fertilised eggs held under the female's abdomen. Said to resemble a handful of berries.]

If you just want algae eaters, have you thought about nerite snails? I have zebra nerites with my loaches, they are too big to get eaten.

I was hoping you'd post too Sue as i know u had chain loaches, i only have 2 at the mo as thats all the store had but ill be adding another 3 as soon as i can get some. They are barmy though! Play tag with each other and from time to time try and shoal with my danio mixture of zebras, leopards and albinos which is amusing, either that or trying to provoke my shark in to a game of tag which he does participate in occasionally. Its very fun to watch and not remotely aggressive.
Snails are a no no its the one think the other half said i cant have as she cant stand them lol, so its either shrimp or possibly another dwarf plec?? Like a clown?

Offline dbaggie

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Fishkeeping - trickier than it looks...
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 08:31:04 AM »
Snails are a no no its the one think the other half said i cant have as she cant stand them lol, so its either shrimp or possibly another dwarf plec?? Like a clown?

Shame about the snails - as Sue says, I've found that they're pretty good at algae removal and make a good 'cleaner' team with shrimp*. Personally I think that the algae removal skills of Plecs are somewhat overrated and you'd need quite a few to really see any difference. It's already been mentioned, but the best bet with shrimp is just to try 2 or 3 first off to see how they do and then add more later when you're happy that there's no problem. I'd also try to source mature/adult shrimp unless you can raise smaller shrimp in a separate tank initially until they get larger.

*Disclaimer (for ColinB): This is no replacement for a regular maintenance regime  ;)

Offline Resa

• Superstar Think Fishy Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 11:35:35 AM »

*Disclaimer (for ColinB): This is no replacement for a regular maintenance regime  ;)

Ha,ha.....you're learning ;D

Panda Cory (11) - Otocinclus (2) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (7) - Dwarf Gourami (2) - Red Phantom Tetra (5) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (2) - Otocinclus (2) - Guppy (male) (4) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (6) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) - Panda Cory (6) - Otocinclus (2) - Salt and Pepper Catfish (6) - Dwarf Gourami (1) - Platy (5) - Guppy (male) (4) - Otocinclus (2) - Panda Cory (6) - Platy (3) - Dwarf Rainbowfish (5) -

Offline Rich_D

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »

Shame about the snails - as Sue says, I've found that they're pretty good at algae removal and make a good 'cleaner' team with shrimp*. Personally I think that the algae removal skills of Plecs are somewhat overrated and you'd need quite a few to really see any difference. It's already been mentioned, but the best bet with shrimp is just to try 2 or 3 first off to see how they do and then add more later when you're happy that there's no problem. I'd also try to source mature/adult shrimp unless you can raise smaller shrimp in a separate tank initially until they get larger.

I have to say my BN Plec has done a great job but isn't removing the alge from some of the plants and the tank he is in is 250 litres so quite big for 1 fish removal team. Haha love the disclaimer but unless I start taking plants out to scrape them with a razor blade I'd rather give some shrimp a happy home first lol.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Shrimp"

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
40 Replies
Last post June 20, 2013, 06:46:58 PM
by Resa
8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2014, 12:24:16 PM
by chris213
15 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 03:11:01 PM
by ColinB
1 Replies
Last post August 10, 2014, 09:26:52 AM
by Sue
22 Replies
Last post September 06, 2014, 02:27:44 PM
by Rich_D
15 Replies
Last post February 25, 2015, 04:15:17 PM
by Diz1
25 Replies
Last post March 04, 2015, 05:36:00 PM
by fishcake76

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: