Sand "Waterfall"

Author Topic: Sand "Waterfall"  (Read 8039 times) 13 replies

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
Sand "Waterfall"
« on: September 06, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
  • Likes On This Users Post 0
The other half wants me to make a sand "waterfall"  in the tank.

I have tried to research making one, I have looked at youtube videos and I understand the principle and think I can do it.

I currently have play sand in part of the tank and this is where the sandfall would go.  I will have to take out my rock and the wood so I realise that will effect the bacteria for a little while.

I am intending to cycle the waterfall in a separate tank before it goes in so that might help.

I know I will have to make it secure at the sides and bottom to stop  fish or shrimp getting caught round the back, dying and fouling the water and I do not intend the sandfall to be on when I am away.

From what I can gather I need sand that is 1mm and no bigger. Bigger means heavier and it wont "liftl". Smaller means lighter and it will drift all over the place instead of landing in the catch area.

I think what I really need is pool filter sand but this only comes in 25 kilo bags and I don't need anything like that amount.

Does anyone know where I can get small bags or do you know of an alternative please?

It will be a long  term project I've told the other half.  I am not putting it in unless I am happy with it. 

I have already bought another container with sides tall enough to take the ornament we (ha ! I ) am going to adapt and this will also be useful as a QT later as it's much bigger than my current 10 litre one.

Any thoughts anyone?

If you haven't seen one check it out on youtube.  Aquarium waterfall. They are stunning. I only have a 60 cm tank so it wont be a massive one but who knows......................

If I do a good enough job and he's taken with the effect he might decide we really need to upgrade the tank to make a spectacular "fall"

Well, I can dream can't I !!!!!!

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Superstar Think Fishy Member
  • Call me Simon
Re: Sand "Waterfall"
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
I'd never seen one before you mentioned it so looked at one on YouTube.
Looks stunning!

Looking forward to hearing how you get on.  :cheers:

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline chris213

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • were going to need a bigger tank
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 07:45:00 AM »
i have had a bit of play around with these over the last few months as i did plan to put one in my 60 liter at some point but i have found it to not be as simple as the you tube videos make it out to be , one thing i have came across is that the pipe diameter to size air stone is critical and height to pump volume  ratio is pretty imporatant to after playing around i have managed to get it to work useing the sand that covers my tank its just the ordinary bottom sand for fish tanks, how ever the problem i have came across is i like to run a fairly strong current in alot  of my tanks and this has caused problems with keeping the sand in the catchment area.

Offline Alex_N

• Super Fishy Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 09:33:31 AM »
I'm with Simon, I never knew anything about those. I doubt I could do the aquascaping let alone the waterfall, I really wish I had done more research into the design of the tank. There is so much that I would never had dreamed of.
The YouTube clips did make it look very easy but as you said Chris I imagine them not to be.
All the best with the project.

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »
Thanks all.

Chris, I also wondered about the flow as my filter is quite strong.

I was going to practice in the container I bought first of all so that it was ready to in the tank eventually. If pipe size, fall etc  is that crucial that will put a damper on that idea as I was going to do a "mini" version first.

Actually I might still do the mini version. If it doesn't work I still have the ornament which is attractive and which the other half paid for so it's winwin eh.

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 08:15:07 PM »
Hi Sanjo

I also had to look this up, it looks really good and took me a couple of seconds to realise that it was sand, very realistic.

Good luck with your project.

Not one to cause trouble between husband and wife or should I say non-fish keeper and fish keeper,  thought you may like to suggest to the other half that you need a bigger tank to make it work properly, what with the sand reservoir and the tank flow.  ;)

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 01:39:43 PM »
I am working my way towards that Anne.

After 45 years I'm usually pretty well up on how to approach things, well usually I am.

He's a bit cross with me at the moment because my son in law has had to drop out of abseiling the Spinnaker Tower for the Ellen Macarthur Trust and my daughter said who do I know mad enough to take his place.  I know I'll ask mum!

I said I'd do it, other half not at all happy.

I think he feels a vertically, horizontally challenged 67 year old with arthritis shouldn't be doing it.  He may be right. We'll see!!

I showed him the new container, he's bought the ornament I'm supposed to be using and he'll just let me get on with it until I succeed or have to give up. He's good like that!!

Of course, originally I told him I had most of the things I needed, air pump, sand etc so there wouldn't  be any cost involved in experimenting so he was happy enough.
I've now told him what Chris said about the power of the pump etc.  IF, and it's a big IF I get anywhere near producing something that looks like a waterfall, no matter how tiny, I'm expecting him to say get a bigger, better pump and do it properly. !!

And then, of course, we'll progress onto a bigger tank    ;)

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 06:06:48 PM »
Good luck with the abseiling, you're much braver than me.  I could watch someone abseil down from the bottom but you would never get me watching from the top - don't like heights!

Well I see you have everything undercontrol with the sand water fall and future tank requirements.

Anne

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »
Yep, slowly gathering the rest of the things I need but it will be  slow process.

Re: the Spinnaker. I did it and enjoyed it !!

Offline Anne

• Super Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 08:01:14 PM »
As well as enjoying it, I hope both you and your daughter made it down all in one piece with no mishaps. 

Anne

Offline Extreme_One

• Super Hero Member
  • Call me Simon
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 08:54:38 PM »
Congratulations on the abseil. I look forward to hearing how you get on with the sandfall.

A Selection of Fish in my Fish Community Creator Tanks
Tiger Barb (1) - Cardinal Tetra (17) - Otocinclus (1) - Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlid (2) - Ornamental Snails (50) - Assassin Snail (2) -
Note: The user may not necessarily own these fish, these are tanks that they may be building or researching for stocking purposes

Offline Sanjo

• Rocking Fishy Member
  • Tropical Fish FTW!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 09:32:15 PM »
Thanks for the congrats. It was all for a good cause.

The sandfall is going to be a project for the winter I think.
We are off on a two week holiday soon so no time beforehand.

I will post an update, whether it's a disaster or success but I wouldn't look anytime soon!

I do like a challenge but I've just got one under my belt with the 330 foot down the Spinnaker so not starting another one too soon

Offline Fiona

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 07:39:54 AM »
Those things look absolutely fantastic so good luck with it. It never ceases to amaze what these aquascaping guys come up with.

Offline Barzers

• Fishy Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 12:15:23 AM »
Wow!!  Just seen the video on youtube and it looks amazing. 

If you go for it it would be great to see some pictures.

Tags:

Assess Tankmates In The Tropical Fish Community Creator

Topics that relate to "Sand "Waterfall""

Subject - Started by Replies Last post
6 Replies
Last post March 19, 2013, 07:51:23 AM
by ColinB
5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 12:36:27 PM
by DutchyHolland
5 Replies
Last post March 24, 2014, 09:16:15 AM
by ColinB
4 Replies
Last post November 29, 2015, 11:03:44 PM
by fcmf
15 Replies
Last post April 26, 2016, 09:27:04 PM
by fcmf
12 Replies
Last post March 26, 2016, 09:27:25 AM
by Sue
0 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 08:55:02 AM
by Robert

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Legal | Contact Follow Think Fish on: